Another set of twins

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Saw a bunch of buzzards so I went to see if I'd lost a cow. Buzzards were giving her a fit as she tried to clean up one calf and have the second. I scared the buzzards off and she did her job giving providing me with a set of calves with bulldog colors. (red/black)
I now have 2 possibly 3 sets this year. Guess its cause of the snow.

twin2.jpg

Just for proof that it does get cold here I snapped this picture of "our snow".

1230091356a.jpg

my cows have been eating snow by the wagonsfull all winter and i aint had nary a twin yet. (not complaining).

I had a set of Black Baldie twins yesterday moring myself. Hereford Bull/Angus Cow. Everybody seems to be doing well.

Are you sure that's snow and not the stuffings out of some sofa cushions?

Maybe it's my PC but the first picture is too blurry to recognize much.

I'm glad you were able to get to that cow before the buzzards did any damage. Good luck with the twins.

Katherine

Your snow looks like a cotton trailer went down your road
happysa9.gif

Congrats on two healthy calves. Lucky that you were there to chase off the buzzards.

chippie":1ewbe7hj said:
Your snow looks like a cotton trailer went down your road

Someone had a little accident with a cotton module. Mix up with the levers is my guesss. Its about the closest thing to snow we get.

Twins are genetic but a lot depends on how you feed. The Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) in Nebraska has a twining research herd. I have not seen much about them lately but I think they were up around 25% or 30%. I worked at a 400 cow dairy years ago, we averaged over 3% twins with holstiens, one year we were over 7%. Maybe it was the AI tech because in 20 years at the ranch in Wyoming I have had at least 1 set every year with angus cows, usually 2 or 3. Some Colorado dairymen think it is something in the alfalfa, could be, I winter on alfalfa here. (just kidding about the tech part) :banana:

AudieWyoming":1nw8287e said:
Twins are genetic but a lot depends on how you feed. The Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) in Nebraska has a twining research herd. I have not seen much about them lately but I think they were up around 25% or 30%. I worked at a 400 cow dairy years ago, we averaged over 3% twins with holstiens, one year we were over 7%. Maybe it was the AI tech because in 20 years at the ranch in Wyoming I have had at least 1 set every year with angus cows, usually 2 or 3. Some Colorado dairymen think it is something in the alfalfa, could be, I winter on alfalfa here. (just kidding about the tech part) :banana:

I have a group of cows that always have at least one pair of twins each year. Since I don't feed anything but hay and the bulls are rotated frequently I suspect it is due to my past culling toward an easy fleshing herd moreso than genetics but I don't know for sure. Most times the cows do a pretty good job raising the twins but not always. Year before last I had a brangus that weaned 960 lbs of calves on her side and she bred back on time. She made us some money which is the only reason that ill tempered spawn of satan is still on the place.

We haven't had a set for a year.. but some years we'll have two or three sets. I did have a Hereford cow that had two sets of twin heifers over the years, and one of the twin heifers had a set herself, so I figured that was hereditary. After that, it's been pretty much haphazard... no figuring out what the "cause" was. But I have to admit, I don't like twins!

Latest posts