Another question about calf scours

Help Support CattleToday:

curlygirl

Reaction score
I have a cow with a 2 week old baby calf. We bought 2 more 3 day old babies to put on her. They all have scours. Have treated with Bolus and electrolytes. Also Koepectate. They eat well look good but i am concerned about the scours. Have been in touch with a vet. Next thing to do is antibiotics. This is my first cow and calf. So i am new at this. Any suggestions?

Curlygirl welcome to the board. Get Spectam scour halt for pigs. 10cc oraly. 10cc at each feeding until it stops. Usually stops it in two doses. I think its about $15.00 for 250cc bottle. You need to get a bottle of Sustain III tablets also. If they have it bad I use the two together. The Sustain III is good for 48 hours. Stop it as fast as you can. I hope this works for you as well as it works for me.

Good Monday morning. Everything is looking better for the baby calves. Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I have read many of the posts and all are very helpful. This is a great site for me :D

curlygirl. All cattle carry good bugs & bad bugs. They become "immune" to the bad bugs "within a herd" through the colostrum from their dam. But every herd has differend "bugs". So you're new born baby had all the immunities it needed to avoid getting sick from bugs her dam had. But, you purchased "healthy" calves that had their own set of bugs that they were immune to. But, when you mix HERDS' bugs, they don't have the immunities built up to combat the bugs from the unknown herd.
Not sure if that made sense.
Also, within a herd, if a calf is super stressed or super saturated with bad bugs, they don't always have ENOUGH immunity built up to combat them. Like - born in dirty calving lot, or severe weather change (cold wet) or poor nutrition. Then they also will get sick - which is usually diarhear or respiratory.