Another Old Post With A Reason

Help Support CattleToday:

snake67

Reaction score
Transplanted westerner - now as far east in Ontari
I am at work.

I just received a telepone call from my friend who is considering purchasing a calf.

Seems she has been offered a calf out of a cow that she has always liked. Unfortunately it is also a brindle. Uh-oh....

I want you folks to read what I wrote about a brindle cow many years ago right here on this board.

I told her "no way" - but we will see. Not on my place so not really my problem - but it seems I am alswys the person who gets the call when things happen there.

Here is why I have this attitude about brindle cows - and trust me - they are ALL the same.

And I promise to not bring up any more old posts - but if you have not read this then you should - if only for the education it will provide. LOL

Best to all

Bez

Ding! Dong! Brindle's Dead ....
by Bez » 16 Dec 2004 23:39

Story goes like this ....

Wife bought a cow. Three years ago. She should have known better, but she liked the markings!

Cow was a brindle. Every danged brindle I have ever known has had an attitude. (Someone is going to disagree with me). But, this is not only a true story - it is my story ....

Cow comes home from .. well, wherever. And proceeds to have a nice calf. Owner (wife) and owners owner (me) go to check the calf. Brindle objects rather violently. But owners owner (that may cause an eyebrow to be raised) manages to beat her off with a six foot aluminum grounding rod.

Back to the calf. Now I am sitting on this calf. Very quiet calf. Takes the needle of selenium and vitamins with no noise. Then I tag the calf - in the left ear as is the tradition on this place. Calf bawls and Brindle comes ready to do battle again. Owners owner jumps up and runs to a tree in the bush. Brindles calf - being confused - follows owners owner - and so follows Brindle. Brindle is frothing and owners owner is climbing.

Coyote problems are bad. So owner brow beats owners owner into submission and Brindle stays. I hate it when I lose an argument, but we never lost a calf to any dog after Brindle arrived.

Funny, but owner never has a problem with Brindle. Owners owner on the other hand does battle in the field, in the pens, in the chutes, in the squeeze and on the truck. Owners owner has a hate that grows to unheard of proportions. Brindle actually goes out of her way to cause owners owner grief. She stands at the gate and defies owners owner to come in. Owners owner is not stupid, and therefore is still alive.

Owner goes away one day. Owners owner actually gets the rifle and ammo out. This is the day of salvation. Rrriiing. It is the phone. Owner is less than 10 minutes out the driveway when she calls owners owner and states flat out - "I have a feeling you might want to dispose of Brindle. If you do you will regret it." Owners owner tucks his tail between his legs and puts rifle back in closet. Dang, she can read minds at long range!

Next year Brindle has nice calf. This time owner walks Brindle out of the field before owners owner will check calf. Same story - calf bawls and owners owner climbs tree - might have been the same tree. Fence has never been the same though.

Two weeks ago daughter comes to owner and owners owner and asks if the family will donate a cow to the local girls hockey team. They are on their way to Europe for a tournament and she wants to help raise her share of the trip money.

Brindle does not have calf this year! Hooray!

Local abbotoir does the work for free (good cause) and Brindle is placed in one pound packages on the table in the school auto shop. Brindle is sold out in less than 15 minutes and girls have more money for trip.

All day long I have been humming that darned tune - Ding! Dong! The Brindle's dead, the Brindle's dead.

Now ex owner is unhappy with me - but I can once again roam my fields and check my cows .....

Nite all,

Bez

let me guess she was not only brindle but a white face brindle. the W/F brindle imo are pi$$ed off at the world.

I'm guess that she's part Brahman.....but there are few breeds that can created brindled ones without using Brahmans.

LOL some people just aren't cut out for tigerstripes. I have a few, all are pets. I can mess with the calf any time I want to . Watched my oldest tiger calve one evening and we handled him for the first hour after he birthed. Have about a dozen brahman females and a hereford bull so planning on having more tigers. One of my tigerstripes is from a purebred Brangus herd--with purebred black Brangus parents.....and she acts just like a 1400 pound gentle Brangus. Some of her sisters are black but with faintly visible tigerstripes in the hide. I also have a tigerstripe mottled face jersey that behaves just like a jersey--sort of goofy.

A stranger can enter the pasture and they go on high alert. For me, they are gentle and at ease.

The only cow that has been salty with me so far is a yellowish beefmaster. She needs about 3 days after she calves and then she is fine. And starts beggin for cubes and attention just like the rest.

Got a brindle in the barn right now. Going to market Saturday! Been wanting to catch her and sale her for months. However she is so flighty that she will not go into the feedlot with the rest of the herd when called up. Finally caught her last night. She would stand on the outside of the lot away from the entry gate and look in. So we took the section of fence down where she liked to stand and had a gate on standby to close it off. When she went to stand at her normal spot and look through the fence at the rest of the herd eating Dad got behind her, gave her a scare and the rest is history! LOL! Hardest darn animal to catch I ever did see.

First, let me say your story was an excellent read. Yes tigers can be hot, but so can a lot of em. I have 1 true F1 tiger. She is on the other side of the equation, way too gentle. She's like a puppy and follows me around to the point I have to push her away. When she calves her and I inspect and work the calf together. She licks while I tag.

I love the tigers, they are a different kind of cat.
Started out with them years ago they are highly intelligent. I know some will disagree.
Tigers know who owns them and are very aware and leery of any changes in their environment.
I have some that are dog gentle I can do anything with, stranger comes up and they back off fifty yards and you will not get closer.
You lead the Brimmer girls as you not going to drive them anywhere.

Latest posts