another mineral/supplement feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
The following is a feeder I designed and put together using a 55 gal. polydrum for the bunk. It totalled about $140 less tin which I recycled from one of the old barns we tore down. A new feeder from the coop runs about $320 so I figure I came out pretty good. Please feel free to offer any suggestions or improvements. The one improvement I wish I would have made would be to have some skirts on the ends angling down from the tips of the roof to keep the weather out better.

P6160252.JPG

P6160250.JPG

P6160253.JPG
[/img]

How do y'all keep your bulls from pushing the dang things all over the place. My bull wants to play with everthing in the pasture.
He put my creap feeder in the pond upside down the other day. I had to wade out chest deep and hook a chain on it and drag it out with the truck. It is now chained to two pine trees but I don't think it will out last the bull.

I thought I was the only one who had bulls that think their job is turning over the mineral feeder everytime I fill it up.RCP

Thanks for all the compliments.

Never had a problem with the bulls tumping over the feeders but we have a store bought feeder with similar dimensions but a narrower footprint that has gotten blown over a few times. I built this one 42" between the skids. It seems pretty stable.

Those are very similar to the ones I use.

A neighbor makes them and sells several hundred per year.

They work "wonderful". :lol: :lol:

I like that one a lot. Looks like you could fix it to hang dustbags. How about adding a beam extending at the bottom and a hook at the top so you could hang a cattle rub on it?
Got some dimensions on the height?
Can you move it by dragging?

Nice job!

How much does it weigh?

The feeders in town are mostly built out of 4X4's and yours looks sturdy yet not too heavy to move.

Dub

The feeder is 6' from ground to ridgeline. The roof beams are 3'6" long from ridgeline to edge. It is built on skids (landscape timbers) approx 3'6" apart. Other dim's index off of the poly barrels. I built it with consideration to attaching fly rubs but haven't got around to mounting them yet. I don't know what it weighs but I can drag it around easily with a Kawasaki Mule.

I am going to try and build one.

What is the measurement from the ground to the top of the bunk?

I will also try to make provisions for a rub and flaps.

You have done a great job with yours.

Thanks for sharing.

Dad made a couple similar to this - had to chain them to t-posts to keep the bulls from tipping them
also added a post (big one) a few feet away and swung a cattle dip / rub (whatever you call it) between the feeder and the post

Latest posts