Another heavy breather.

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
The other thread reminded me of a cow I have. Although different, still a breathing problem that I am curious about. I have a short phone video of her but idk how to post it here, or if I can? Just looking for input on what it might be. My guess, and luck, is that it's a problem caused by an old issue, maybe scarring of her lungs maybe?

I can send a video in a text if someone is interested in seeing it, or to post it. I'll try again tonite. Photobucket has not been too good to me lately.

That's what this one does. Doesn't do it in the winter. The hotter and more humid it is, the worse it is. What makes it even worse, I believe, is that she is a very easy keeper. She's already heavy and just have the calves weaned a month come Monday.

Update to this after the vet came out the other day. He listened to her lungs, and throat. He said, in her case, that she might have had a case of diphtheria at some point that damaged her trachea. He said sometimes the vocal cords can become paralyzed or damaged also. He said she won't die from it, unless maybe it's real hot weather and she gets worked up and hot herself and can't get enough air. He said he personally he wouldn't cull her for it. It doesn't sound like she is in any pain with it, according to him, so I feel better about that. Just noisy. I try to work quiet with the cows anyway so I'm doing about all I can do there.

Talltimber I have had both dogs and horses with the condition that you have described.
In horses they call them "Roarers" and in dogs it is called "Laryngeal paralysis."
I won't get into the surgical treatments that were performed on them, because it would not be practical for a cow.
It happens when one (or both) of the flaps that close over the trachea become paralyzed. The flaps close the airway when you swallow and open when you breath. (Preventing food from entering the lungs.) It can be caused by injury or illness. (Possibly other reasons that are unidentified also.)
They can live many years with this condition, depending on the severity. But for the animals that I have had affected, aspiration pneumonia was a result.

Good luck with her, I hope that she continues to do ok for you.

branguscowgirl":32pkcq7j said:
Talltimber I have had both dogs and horses with the condition that you have described.
In horses they call them "Roarers" and in dogs it is called "Laryngeal paralysis."
I won't get into the surgical treatments that were performed on them, because it would not be practical for a cow.
It happens when one (or both) of the flaps that close over the trachea become paralyzed. The flaps close the airway when you swallow and open when you breath. (Preventing food from entering the lungs.) It can be caused by injury or illness. (Possibly other reasons that are unidentified also.)
They can live many years with this condition, depending on the severity. But for the animals that I have had affected, aspiration pneumonia was a result.

Good luck with her, I hope that she continues to do ok for you.

BCG: That is useful information. I was at Fire sweep Ranch in April. One of her show heifers, I forgot which one but I think Cricket, was wheezing loudly. Kris said it was chronic. Kris' husband has a history of employment as an EMT so she got one of his stethoscopes. I listened and in the area of the pharynx where the glottis is located (opening to the trachea) I thought I could hear the most wheezing. I told Kris I thought there was an issue with the function of the epiglottis. Your description of the dog and horse fits the bill. I will ask Kris to take a look at this thread if she can.

I have one like that also, vet told me the same thing, wont bother her, I had her sold but got the guy to take a different one, just could not do that so guess she has a home for life,she gave me the best looking heifer calf this spring

For Ron or anyone interested in the treatment of dogs and horses for this condition.

Both needed to be fed and watered in an upright position, (raised dishes) to help avoid aspiration pneumonia.
In dogs, we do what is called "Tie back surgery." We suture the limp, paralyzed flap open to allow freer air flow.
In a horse this surgery does not hold up as well, but can be done. My horse went down to UC Davis teaching hospital and had a tracheotomy performed. They removed part of a couple rings of his trachea and left an opening in his neck to breath through. He was then rideable and lived many happy years. :) Extreme yes, but this horse had won me a lot of money and a saddle. After surgery he taught many kids how to ride.......

Cows do not do a lot of running around like a dog or horse does. So they will likely do ok living with the condition. (Just breath loudly)
The danger will be aspirating food or water. I would avoid feeding grains and such, that they rush to eat.

Latest posts