Finishing heavy on apples

Help Support CattleToday:

bckinghorn

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm rather new to cattle. I am planning on starting up in the spring. I have an abundance of apple trees on my property that I do not use, give them to our horses as treats that's about it. I am wondering about finishing cattle on a apple heavy diet.

Can cows do this? Will it cause any issues from all the sugars? Does anyone know how it will affect the flavour? I know to introduce the apples gradually.

I'm planning on doing grass fed grass finished, but want to experiment a bit and see how the flavour turns out, so 1-2 cows I don't mind trying some eccentric stuff with. I don't use the apples for anything and don't have to purchase them, so I'm not worried about anything economic, just wondering if it is a no no.

I am getting honey bees in the spring as well. I am assuming I will have too much honey to know what to do with (it is a rather popular thing to do in the area) and I won't be able to sell/use it all. Can cows eat honey with no issues? If i have a large amount of excess I may try to feed it to one cow and see how the flavour turns out there as well.

Please let me know if I am being an idiot,

Thanks

You have to be careful with cattle choking on apples. We had one get an apple from a wild tree get stuck in her throat. Vet had to push it down with a stiff piece of plastic tubing. We sometimes run them over in the pasture with the 4 wheeler to break them up.

I'm not sure if too much apple would be an issue. I've heard my grandfather talk of horses and cows getting drunk on green apples.

WFfarm said:
You have to be careful with cattle choking on apples. We had one get an apple from a wild tree get stuck in her throat. Vet had to push it down with a stiff piece of plastic tubing. We sometimes run them over in the pasture with the 4 wheeler to break them up.

I'm not sure if too much apple would be an issue. I've heard my grandfather talk of horses and cows getting drunk on green apples.

Yes the choking issue I have read up on too. Will cut them up first. I found an article online saying as long as you don't start dumping loads for them to eat at once and do it gradually they shouldn't get excessively bloated.

I guess I'll let you guys know if I notice a difference, or if any die haha.

If I had excess apples I'd look into getting a few hogs to feed.
As others have said --make sure you break them up. And, don't get dissapointed if your cows waste a lot. I've found cows like them as an infrequent treat, but if you give them in any quantity they lose interest.

I have to agree about feeding the apples to hogs over cattle, seems they would make better use of them. I would sell the honey, no way I'd waste it feeding livestock, you won't get much bang for your buck that way. Why don't you consider selling your apples? You could do a pick your own kinda deal so you don't have to mess with picking them.

It's hard for cows to eat enough apples to really amount to something approaching a finishing ration. They're mostly water.

We used to dump truck loads of apples to our cows, started slowly and then after a couple of weeks went full whack. Did it for thirty years and never lost a cow. With that amount they basically just graze them for a time each day and then head to pasture. Have been told it can cause liver abscess and one heifer we butchered did have a liver abscess, but that was one out of about twenty. I never noticed any taste difference with the meat.

If you have that many apples you should make cider. You can still feed the pulp to the cows (or pigs). A good glass of hard cider will definitely improve the flavor.

Regardless of what you decide to do with your excess apples its not wise to allow horses nor cattle free access to the tree's ...not only can they gorge/choke on the fruit but also seriously compact the drip line soil area, damage trunks and wreck havoc with the branch structure. Been there done that.

Little Joe said:
I have to agree about feeding the apples to hogs over cattle, seems they would make better use of them. I would sell the honey, no way I'd waste it feeding livestock, you won't get much bang for your buck that way. Why don't you consider selling your apples? You could do a pick your own kinda deal so you don't have to mess with picking them.

I could never have hogs, wouldn't have the heart to slaughter them haha. The squeals get me.

As for the apples, that's just way to many people on my property for not nearly enough money haha.

76 Bar said:
Regardless of what you decide to do with your excess apples its not wise to allow horses nor cattle free access to the tree's ...not only can they gorge/choke on the fruit but also seriously compact the drip line soil area, damage trunks and wreck havoc with the branch structure. Been there done that.

Yes, I was planning on crushing them for the cows. We hand feed them to the horses as treats right now. I never even thought about the animals weight destroying the soil underneath, I'll definitely be sure to watch that - our horses are almost never in those paddocks but cattle will be. Might have to add a fence.

Latest posts