another hay storage question

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
Ok looking for opinions, i have well over a years worth of hay already secured. Milo(not just stalks regrowth with leaves and grain, coastal, johnson grass mix, very good haygrazer, a small amount of high quality coastal. I have a building a can store about 30 to 40 rolls in. My first year with milo, cows seem to do fine on it, but i understand it doesn't keep well. We typically keep coastal and haygrazer outside on ground without to much loss. We have a hot and mostly dry climate. Would you store the lower value milo inside (because its more perishable) or store some of the higher value hay inside. All opinions appreciated. Thank you.

I believe I'd put the best hay under the roof, but that's just my opinion. It's guaranteed to be worth what it cost you.

From a logistical stand point you would position yourself to simply have enough.. If your good hay will still be good hay if left outside, but your poorer hay will be garbage outside - it makes sense to put it in so you keep it edible and have enough of both.

fenceman":1r7qtfls said:
Ok looking for opinions, i have well over a years worth of hay already secured. Milo(not just stalks regrowth with leaves and grain, coastal, johnson grass mix, very good haygrazer, a small amount of high quality coastal. I have a building a can store about 30 to 40 rolls in. My first year with milo, cows seem to do fine on it, but i understand it doesn't keep well. We typically keep coastal and haygrazer outside on ground without to much loss. We have a hot and mostly dry climate. Would you store the lower value milo inside (because its more perishable) or store some of the higher value hay inside. All opinions appreciated. Thank you.
Have tested. With the regrowth there is a good chance the milo stalks and regrowth will be the best hay.

TexasBred":37o0uk9q said:
fenceman":37o0uk9q said:
Have tested. With the regrowth there is a good chance the milo stalks and regrowth will be the best hay.
Also may be full of purassic acid and nitrates

1982vett":7cqn24em said:
TexasBred":7cqn24em said:
fenceman":7cqn24em said:
Also may be full of purassic acid and nitrates

Not likely Vet as this would be old growth plus some new re-growth. Not being stressed it's very unlikely it would have any prussic acid however, if it had a bit, it does dissipate over time .
Nitrates would have been utilized by the plant prior to harvesting the grain and then any residual nitrogen would have been utilized during the time of regrowth. Fed some maize stalks last year that never got the needed rain on it so man just baled it....had it tested and nitrates were well within limits. But...depending on growing conditions I guess there is always a chance.

TexasBred":xmfquh0d said:
fenceman":xmfquh0d said:
You may be right on there tb. I did have it tested. Mostly out of concern of nitrates in Milo.(again I was unfamiliar and a little concerned about it) I'm on a jobsite and going off memory but test results were something like. Haygrazer 9.6 protein, unfertilized coastal/Johnson grass 5.8 protein, Milo 4.7 protein. (Didn't test fertilized coastal) now let me add on the Milo I purposely selected low stalks to test sample, to get highest nitrate numbers. On others I took normal core samples. So yeah you maybe right tb. The other hay is worth twice in dollars as the Milo. But I'm not selling it, so yea I'm answering my on question, but with halls help. I can only store about half the Milo but leaning towards that. Almost no nitrates by the way.thankyou

fenceman":3u7z8thn said:
You may be right on there tb. I did have it tested. Mostly out of concern of nitrates in Milo.(again I was unfamiliar and a little concerned about it) I'm on a jobsite and going off memory but test results were something like. Haygrazer 9.6 protein, unfertilized coastal/Johnson grass 5.8 protein, Milo 4.7 protein. (Didn't test fertilized coastal) now let me add on the Milo I purposely selected low stalks to test sample, to get highest nitrate numbers. On others I took normal core samples. So yeah you maybe right tb. The other hay is worth twice in dollars as the Milo. But I'm not selling it, so yea I'm answering my on question, but with halls help. I can only store about half the Milo but leaning towards that. Almost no nitrates by the way.thankyou

Fenceman I had a dairy client who had a friend give him about 400 acres of milo stalks free if he would bale them. This is 7-8 years ago. Before he could do anything he got rain on it and quite a bit of regrowth/ Finally got it cut and rolled and had me pull samples on it. First samples tested 12.9% crude protein. He laughed and said the lab must have got his sample mixed up with someone elses so I went and probed about another dozen bales, mixed it good and sent it off. It came back 13.2% crude protein....he immediately started feeding it in his TMR and both milk and butterfat went up considerably as his grass hay was only about 8% protein. He had about a thousand or more rolls so we totally rebalanced his ration to take advantage of the maize stalk protein and lowered his feed cost quite a bit .

TexasBred":2nsg02me said:
fenceman":2nsg02me said:

Fenceman I had a dairy client who had a friend give him about 400 acres of milo stalks free if he would bale them. This is 7-8 years ago. Before he could do anything he got rain on it and quite a bit of regrowth/ Finally got it cut and rolled and had me pull samples on it. First samples tested 12.9% crude protein. He laughed and said the lab must have got his sample mixed up with someone elses so I went and probed about another dozen bales, mixed it good and sent it off. It came back 13.2% crude protein....he immediately started feeding it in his TMR and both milk and butterfat went up considerably as his grass hay was only about 8% protein. He had about a thousand or more rolls so we totally rebalanced his ration to take advantage of the maize stalk protein and lowered his feed cost quite a bit .
After we cut Milo for grain if we are short hay we cut the stalks and bale them, they are great junk hay and kinda of decent for dry cows of for filler. Then we put 100lbs urea on it and turn on the water. It really makes good hay.

Latest posts