Another hay shipping question

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
This is a follow up to a question I posted previously on the pastures and hay board.

Anyway, Someone is going to send me a cashers check for some hay plus shipping fees and then I am to then contact and pay their shipper. This seems a bit strange to me. How do they know what the exact shipping fees are before the load is even weighed? Has anyone on here ever shipped hay with payment conducted in such a manner?

BEWARE, This is an old SCAM.

After you do this, a couple of weeks later the bank where you cashed the Cashier's check will contact advising you that the Cashier's Check has come back as a fake.

You will not loose the hay but also the price you paid for shipping.

Sounds kind of strange. But I think the bank can tell if the check is valid right away. There must be a credit problem with this guy.
I've only known hay to be payment on delivery.

This reeks of a scam, especially if it's the result of an add you had on the web. Don't be suprised if the check has a return address of Nigeria or is in excess of the ammount you requested. The buyer will kindly ask you to wire them the excess payment.
Don't move a single bale off your property until the check has cleared and you have cash in hand.

All you gotta do is delay the shipment until the check clears. The bank can call you when it does. The freight can easily be calculated on mileage. But as everyone has said, the check may not clear. But if it does, it probably means the guy is dealing in a lot of cash sales and is probably worth watching anyway. JMO

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. If someone offers to send you a cashiers check, and asks for you to write a check in return, it is a SCAM.

We bought tons of hay last year, and always paid the driver and or the producer. Never had anyone ask for an arrangement like that!

This is the oldest scam on the Internet. I will guarantee you 100% that you will lose whatever money you pay the shipper. Don't worry, you won't lose your hay. The "shipper" won't ever show up to pick it up. They just want your cash!

Spend a little time reading here:
http://www.419eater.com/

:shock:

Thanks for all the great replies folks. I contacted the sheriffs office yesterday to see if there was someway to set up a sting on this, or if there were other authorities I should talk to about doing something proactive. They said they couldn't do anything until an actual offense had taken place, and did not know of any agencies that pursued this type of scam. So much for actual crime prevention.

dcara":r113ga8o said:
Thanks for all the great replies folks. I contacted the sheriffs office yesterday to see if there was someway to set up a sting on this, or if there were other authorities I should talk to about doing something proactive. They said they couldn't do anything until an actual offense had taken place, and did not know of any agencies that pursued this type of scam. So much for actual crime prevention.

The FBI would be the ones to contact,especially since it involves interstate commerce.I feel like they would pursue it.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3t9f02us said:
dcara":3t9f02us said:

The FBI would be the ones to contact,especially since it involves interstate commerce.I feel like they would pursue it.

In some states the state attorney general is the one to contact.

dun":2v048jrb said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2v048jrb said:
dcara":2v048jrb said:

In some states the state attorney general is the one to contact.

Yes, indeed. Won't go into details, but I had good luck going through our state attorney general's office a few years ago. If they don't have jurisdiction, they can tell you who does.

Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:38 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds kind of strange. But I think the bank can tell if the check is valid right away. There must be a credit problem with this guy.
I've only known hay to be payment on delivery.

Banks don't take time to do much looking they don't find out until it get's back to the fed reserve.

Update

I contacted the Texas Attorney General's office and they said there were just to many of these email fraud folks to puruse. They recommended I burn the check when I receive it. I told them that my bank said they could clear the check in a day or two since is a cashers check, but the AG's office said that it could still come back as phony a couple months later and that I could then be prosecuted if my account didn't cover it.

Although I'm sure these frauds change their email and contact info all the time, here is the contact info of the one that contacted me.

email address is/was [email protected]
name is/was laxix
their shipper's contact info is/was [email protected]

I thought you folks might get a kick out of this. A week ago I told this person I was going to burn any check they sent me per the AG's advice. Tonight I got this email from them

------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Doug,
How are you? Hope all is well.
I have mailed out the payment for My Hay Order, Like i told you in the previous mails my Hauler will come for the pick up
from you, so do go ahead and cut out my order as my shipper is ready for the pick up.
I mailed the check of $3500, you are to deduct the sum of $700 for my Hay, I will also want you to deduct the sum of $100 which you will use in running around to remitt the balance funds to my Hauler who is ready to come for the pick up, Below is the Information of my Hauler's Accountant which you will need to remitt balance to him via Western Union
Money Transfer (Western Union Services are offered in Western Union Outlets):
PATRICK INYANG
MANHATTAN
NY
Once you have remitted the balance to him, you are to provide me with the following information i will need to provide my Hauler.
MTCN #
Amount Sent
Senders name / Address
Please, I will want the Hay tired with either ropes / twines.
I am counting on you.
Thank you and I hope to hear from you ASAP.
Laxix Osehon

P.S - Below is the Tracking # - 1Z433V9E1599440082 of the Check Sent, You will receive it on Monday via UPS.
Thanks once again,
Laxix.

you should have received your check by now...according to the tracking info it arrived at the dfw ups plant at 6:02 am this morning. Actually, since UPS does'nt work saturday's, you'll prob get your check monday morn. I would go to western union or whichever bank the check is drawn on and cash it. Make them prove the check is no good. As long as you dont have an account there, they wont be able to get any money back out of you if (when?)it turns out bogus.

Don't do that. I am telling you like everybody else is telling you that this is a scam. If you do, you are no better than the person that contacted you for the hay. You will be scaming the bank. I get calls like this all the time. I send them all to the Attorney General's Office. Yes they are bogged down with alot of them, but they have been able to prosecute some of them.

Since I think I'm going to bypass this business opportunity, I generously offer it to anyone else that might be interested in jerking these peoples chains. I'm sure they will offer to buy what ever your selling; and, I think enough of us could keep them pretty busy composing offers, paying postage, and sending checks out which we can them compare, burn, or otherwise amuse ourselves with.

dcara":3m3mm602 said:
I thought you folks might get a kick out of this. A week ago I told this person I was going to burn any check they sent me per the AG's advice. Tonight I got this email from them

------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Doug,
How are you? Hope all is well.
I have mailed out the payment for My Hay Order, Like i told you in the previous mails my Hauler will come for the pick up
from you, so do go ahead and cut out my order as my shipper is ready for the pick up.
I mailed the check of $3500, you are to deduct the sum of $700 for my Hay, I will also want you to deduct the sum of $100 which you will use in running around to remitt the balance funds to my Hauler who is ready to come for the pick up, Below is the Information of my Hauler's Accountant which you will need to remitt balance to him via Western Union
Money Transfer (Western Union Services are offered in Western Union Outlets):
PATRICK INYANG
MANHATTAN
NY
Once you have remitted the balance to him, you are to provide me with the following information i will need to provide my Hauler.
MTCN #
Amount Sent
Senders name / Address
Please, I will want the Hay tired with either ropes / twines.
I am counting on you.
Thank you and I hope to hear from you ASAP.
Laxix Osehon

P.S - Below is the Tracking # - 1Z433V9E1599440082 of the Check Sent, You will receive it on Monday via UPS.
Thanks once again,
Laxix.
Ask this man if you could have the haulers mc number. Or at the very least ask for the haulers usdot number.

Latest posts