Another fair pay question.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Looks like maybe next week we will get the window to knock down my big SS field. And it's gonna make.
I'm planning to run my round and square baler both. Friend and neighbor has offered to help.
What he has to offer is himself, and his tractor.
Balers ,rakes and cutter mine. I'll have diesel on site. Hell take his pay in hay. So what's fair.

Fwiw ...he knows what he is doing.

One round bale an hour if you furnish the diesel. My neighbor used to charge me $60 an hour all in for things that we weren't sure how long they would take.

To be clear... you and your tractor will be baling.
He and his tractor cuts and rakes the field with you providing the fuel... right?
or
Will he and his tractor also round bale while you square bale?

I'm not sure I understand the arrangements... tractor size, hay density and quality, time ect.
but I'll throw out 15% of the hay (3 out of every 20 bales) as wages for he and his tractor, to start
the discussion. How much of your hay is he expecting?

DCA farm said:
Tractor work around here runs $50-$75 a hour so keep track of the hours divide what the hay is worth by what the tractor work would cost you
Don't forget to deduct for the gallons of fuel you provided from the tractor work per hour price.

If I read that right you don't want to pay in hay? Him and the tractor $50-75 an hour if you are providing fuel, really depends on size of tractor and what you are doing. Big difference in wear and tear between cutting and raking. If it's a for hire deal. Neighbor deal maybe different. If you do want to pay in hay just decide what he is worth and what your hay is worth and make it balance out. From what I know of you on here I bet he will be satisfied by the time you are.

I have no problem paying him with hay. Would rather in fact.
Whatever the task. It will be him and his tractor pulling my implements on my diesel. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Thanks for all response.

I would go 1:5, so 20%. However, I been known to short myself so as not to risk shorting someone else.

Latest posts