Another crazy heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

lynnmcmahan

Reaction score
My last to hit the ground and wouldn't you know it, another crazy heifer.
When I found them the calf was following the other calves looking for mamma and mamma was all over the pasture looking for babby. When I finally got them together mamma insisted that was not her calf. I remembered reading somewhere here to confine them in close quarters which I did after the battle. Mamma was climbing the walls and babby had to be protected by Angles to dodge a stomping. I gave mamma some feed and water that calmed her a bit and babby did manage to suck three tits dry even with the kicks.
I plan to keep them where they are until mamma accepts babby or 'til one dies. Sounds plain and simple especially if you don't know what else to do.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

lynnmcmahan":hhbu00we said:
My last to hit the ground and wouldn't you know it, another crazy heifer.
When I found them the calf was following the other calves looking for mamma and mamma was all over the pasture looking for babby. When I finally got them together mamma insisted that was not her calf. I remembered reading somewhere here to confine them in close quarters which I did after the battle. Mamma was climbing the walls and babby had to be protected by Angles to dodge a stomping. I gave mamma some feed and water that calmed her a bit and babby did manage to suck three tits dry even with the kicks.
I plan to keep them where they are until mamma accepts babby or 'til one dies. Sounds plain and simple especially if you don't know what else to do.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might have to hobble her!

Checked this AM and she seems to be a bit calmer. Her tits were down so maybe the calf got some milk. Normal for me is a day old calf sucks or sleeps most of the time so maybe we are seeing progress. She is sniffing the calf and giving the mamma low moo. Haven't seen her licking baby, just sniffing and the low moo. Mamma eats and drinks ok but as expected she want to be with the others. If she still the same I'm thinking about turning her out tomorrow. Don't want to be to soon because I don't want a repeat of yesterday.

lynnmcmahan":qmszg2zd said:
Checked this AM and she seems to be a bit calmer. Her tits were down so maybe the calf got some milk. Normal for me is a day old calf sucks or sleeps most of the time so maybe we are seeing progress. She is sniffing the calf and giving the mamma low moo. Haven't seen her licking baby, just sniffing and the low moo. Mamma eats and drinks ok but as expected she want to be with the others. If she still the same I'm thinking about turning her out tomorrow. Don't want to be to soon because I don't want a repeat of yesterday.

I did turn them out the next day, complete turnabout. Mamma licking, baby sucking, nobody as happy as me :D .
Separate problem, mamma developed a lump about the size of a fist under her jaw. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the berthing episode. Doesn't seem to bother her and I hope it'll just go away.
Any ideas?

This is a little bit of a late reply to your situation. But I use a drug called atravet on cows lke that. Calms them right down in about 30 min. I also use that to graft calves onto cows. It works every time.

This is a little bit of a late reply to your situation. But I use a drug called atravet on cows lke that. Calms them right down in about 30 min. I also use that to graft calves onto cows. It works every time.

Thanks I'll give that a try if there is a next time. If I would have had it I probably would have taken a shot myself. :D

7kaufman":34nc20av said:

Had the vet up this AM to look at a bull and I asked his opinion of atravet. He said it's not good to use on cows. Don't remember all the why nots but the results could lead to pneumonia.

That is interesting. I will have to ask my vet about that, he had recomended it to me to use. I have been using it for several years and I have never had any problems. But I will have to look into it more. It does help in some situations though.

Latest posts