another bull in working clothes

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I've sold this young bull to one of my neighbours, he is busy breeding at the moment. The bull is completely forage raised and is working in the veld that you can see in the background. Although he is far from fat he still maintains a good condition and he still displays his muscle. This is a middle to lower end of the range bull by my standards and was sold purely for commercial use. He is a paternal halfsib to the bull in the other thread.
HVR0808.jpg

Young bulls should breed down a bit-if they don't he's either lazy or not running with enough cows. It's amazing how many cows a good yearling can breed-I've turned one out a wek early with a couple hundred cows just to test him-the good ones can settle three or four cows a day.

I don't like him near as much as some of the others you have posted. Maybe you could loan him to El Putzo though. :lol2:

RD-Sam":20wklltc said:
I don't like him near as much as some of the others you have posted. Maybe you could loan him to El Putzo though. :lol2:

You guys need to play nice.

Good bull but not as good as the otherone in my opinion.

alexfarms":229nerzx said:
How would you describe the rear flank on that bull?

Its definately higher than my ideal, but its also a case of a bull that hasn't received enough nutrition yet to reach his growth potential.

I wouldn't use him if he was free! :lol: (Sorry, Knersie, I couldn't resist!)

But I believe he is the only bull of yours that you've ever posted that I don't like much.

George

Herefords.US":3l5pui5y said:

But I believe he is the only bull of yours that you've ever posted that I don't like much.

George
1982vett":3l5pui5y said:
I like him.

Figures, but then (if it weren't for shipping) that would probably make him an affordable bull to someone such as myself.

1982vett":3090t34z said:
Herefords.US":3090t34z said:

George
1982vett":3090t34z said:
I like him.

Figures, but then (if it weren't for shipping) that would probably make him an affordable bull to someone such as myself.

That is exactly what he was... an affordable bull for commercial use that will add muscle without chasing birthweight sky high. I'll post pics in a years time and I'll bet no-one will recognise him, don't think many of you appreciate the conditions he works in, but the idea was to show a lower end bull bred by me, not pampered, that has never seen grain or hay in his life doing what he is supposed to do, settling cows.

The owner of this bull has bought four consequtive bulls from me and various of my cull cows so they must have done what he wants them to do and there are cheaper options available here.

He is definately very well muscled....especially considering how thin he is. The reason I mentioned the rear flank, is because his muscular build and high flank make him resemble some of the "lean built, muscular breeds" like belgium blue or piedmontese.

Well he isn't that thin, I don't see why everyone keeps saying that. Looks like he has kept his flesh well on what he has. I would however say that I don't like the bull from the phenotype side. He does cut up in his flank, he does get a little roachy in his loin, he rolls hard off his hips, his head isn't overly masculine, and his eye set really isn't all that great either. Not my favorite bull you have posted, regardless of his condition. However a bull that can breed cows as a yearling and still look that good has a lot to offer. We need to work on low maintenance cattle, and yet retain that type of muscle.

he is a fine looking bull in my eyes.an he maintains his weight well in the breeding pasture.an to me thats the kind of bull you want.

AngusLimoX":311jb064 said:
Fleshes out way too easily on twigs and small stones - never make it in a grass fed lean beef program!

I guess it would be easy to take that comment wrong.
I like him, I'd say he is better than I see in a lot of pastures around here.
And he has credentials that have more credibility than a lot of EPD wonders.

Nice bull(s) as always Harley, you do seem to have done things right. I'm like many would love to be able to get that kind of width in the hip on some of our stock. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Alan

Latest posts