Another 24d question(s)

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
I'm spraying three acres with a ATV 16gal 1.8 shurflo .
1. will 16 gal cover 1 acre
2. will 1quart per acre of 24d be sufficent
3. is it to late in the year to spray

NORTH FLORIDA":27tsdyfl said:
I'm spraying three acres with a ATV 16gal 1.8 shurflo .
1. will 16 gal cover 1 acre
2. will 1quart per acre of 24d be sufficent
3. is it to late in the year to spray

1-Depends on how much is sprayed. Have you calibrated the sprayer?

2-Depends on what weed and variety you are spraying

3-If the weeds are actively growing, it's not.

NORTH FLORIDA":a0hx2sta said:
I have never calibrated a sprayer, I thought you just turn it on.
I'll be spraying for most broadleafs.

Google "Sprayer Calibration" and do it.

Most herbicide labels recommend at least 20 gallons of water per acre.

Add the amount of chemical that will cover an acre with your sprayers' output water amount per acre and you're set to go.

P.S. You'll have to set your traveling speed at a constant rate.

You need to use 3 oz's per gallon of water. You need to put at least 10 gallons of water per acre. So, you need to calculate how much you nozzle puts out per minute and multiply by the number of nozzles you have. This give you the total per minute your sprayer puts out. You can measure the jet output by holding a gallon jug under it and timing for one minute.

You will then need to calculate your speed to put out 10 gallons of water per acre. 9-11 won't hurt nothing either.

It is not as simple as mixing and spraying until you think you have it covered. You can waste your chemical, kill all your grass, do nothing, and anything in between.

I thought 24d was a restricted use after June 1st. If you have any cotton near by or some other type crops, that stuff can vaporize and kill cotton a mile away. Be safe rather than sorry and check with your county agent or local chem dealer.

Phil

2-4d is restricted use, at least in Texas and this gentleman is right. You'd be wise to use caution when applying.

If you or your neighbors have tomatoes growing, all you have to do to kill them is walk out in the field and say the letters 2, 4, D and they're dead. Can't vouch for cotton but it is a broad leaf herbicide.

Be careful and good luck.

Cotton is VERY sensitive to 2-4-D. It's better to use an amine solution to cut down on drift volatility.

I hear grapes are very sensitive too.

Don't think there are any state restrictions here, but you can't be too careful.

At a rate of 1pt /a you should be alright as long as the weed size is not off label. Best advice is read the label!!!!!!

your speed on your ATV will be very very slow. About 2 MPH. This is the most difficult part but you really have to crawl to get the right coverage. Also wear some kind of breathing protection.
Good Luck

If you are not familiar with 2,4,D, you should google dicots and google monocots. 2,4,D will kill any dicot. That includes pecan, fruit trees, practically all hardwoods, and most desireable vegtation that is a dicot variety. It will not harm monocots.

When spraying pastures, I found it best to mix to the maximum strength on the label. For my concentration this year, it was 4 pints to 60 gallons of water. It had positive results.

Chemicals can be obtained in a variety of concentrations dependant upon the vendor who furnished it. READ LABELS I once ran out of a pesticide and went and bought more from a different store (that was open). The mixing ratio was much different. I almost made a serious mistake assuming it was the same.

Latest posts