Annual Cost per head

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
After reading Caustic's post on cost I was wondering what everyone's annual cost per cow is just figuring feed, hay, minerals, vaccine and anything else you put directly into the cow. I figured our cost around $285.00 per cow this year. That cost includes the following:

- Cubes
- 2 round bales per head avg for winter feeding
- Vaccines and worming (1 time per year in Spring)
- Minerals
- Weaning, vaccinating, and preconditioning the cow's calf

You still have the following:

Fuel
Land cost
Taxes
Up Keep/repairs
equipment

I don't factor in labor. Everybody knows cowboys work for free.

Feed, fuel, hay, taxes.. are my heaviest hitters.. not necessarily in that order.

Yes, I understand there are many other costs involved to get to the net profit/loss. I was just wondering about the direct input to the cow/calf, such as feed, hay, vaccine, etc.

In other words, can you get a cow buy on $100, $200, $300 a year, and if so, how are you doing it.

Incremental cost for each cow is approximately $182/head.
(4) 5x5 mixed grass rolls each at cost of production = $120
Mineral = approximately $50
Vac./worming/preg. check/etc. $12 at vet clinic.
Supplements = NADA

I can't do it absolute. There has to be some SWAG since I sell a lot of hay on the side.

I {my wife} is a# cruncher she says we have to have $436 dollars per calf to break even that has been easy the past few yrs but with the way cattle prices are dropping and fert. and fuel is increasing don't know how easy it will be in the future we sell hay to supplement farm income and also custom bale and do alot of fencing and brushogging used to do alot of dozer work but no one can afford it now
I don't know what guys in your area are getting for baling but we get$18 a bale to cut rake and bale a 4x5 bale of grass hay with a cured weight of 950lb string tied net I charge $.50 more

Angus Cowman":8ovo1dbx said:
I {my wife} is a# cruncher she says we have to have $436 dollars per calf to break even that has been easy the past few yrs but with the way cattle prices are dropping and fert. and fuel is increasing don't know how easy it will be in the future we sell hay to supplement farm income and also custom bale and do alot of fencing and brushogging used to do alot of dozer work but no one can afford it now
I don't know what guys in your area are getting for baling but we get$18 a bale to cut rake and bale a 4x5 bale of grass hay with a cured weight of 950lb string tied net I charge $.50 more

Angus, your wife is probably just about right on the money. We allocate all of our costs to each cow for both our registered and our commercial herd. We have been running around $ 425 per calf breakeven on our commercial herd and around $ 490 per calf on our registered herd. I am pretty sure that you guys are allocating on the same basis we are....we allocate to the calves raised instead of per cow. Every calf that you lose for whatever reason has to be made up by the ones that you sell. At a 90% weaned calf rate, that would make our costs about $ 382.50 per cow annually.

We are not that far away from you and we do custom baling as well. We raised our price to $ 19 per bale for a 4x5 string tied due to increased fuel costs. However, many of our cash customers switched over to a share basis and we have been 60/40 for the past couple of years. The hay market went to the toliet around here so we did not come out well at all on the share basis for this year. You can easily by good grass hay here for $ 25 per bale. That would make our charge only $ 15 per bale. Normally, it would run $ 30 to $35 per bale. When we allocate our herd costs, we always use $ 30 per bale regardless of the market. Since we have already allocated the land costs or rent, we are essentially overcharging ourselves on the hay in most years especially on our own land that we grazed and hayed. But when you run the numbers, the custom hay business is very marginal. We only do it because we can spread the high fixed costs of equipment most of which we maintain whether we baled hay or not. The other advantage of doing our own hay is that we can do it right. Most people who put up hay, especially grass hay have no clue on how to put up a good bale and maintain the highest quality possible.

yes that is the way we figure it as a herd not on per cow basis
on the hay I have been custom baling for yrs and what I love is that you can't get a guy to understand that my 950lb bale at $18 is cheaper than the other guys baling it for $15 and him getting a 700lb bale

you are right about quality I bale hay that I would want to buy or feed myself and alot of guys just bale hay to be baling
I mowed hay the same day as another guy mine wasn't ready to bale for 3 days, he baled his the day after it was cut 4 days later his was burning in the field

If I remember the Ranchers only seminar that i went to about a month ago they said $450 or was it $485 to break even. That included taxes, fertilizer, insurance, fuel,hay, drugs and anything else.

This did not include
machinery depreciation
loan payments
labour
cost of living

To include those
$730.00 or there abouts
I think i did a post on it at the time of the seminar.

edit: found the post with the actual #...this post was a bit off....Canadian $ when our dollar was near par with the US

rockridgecattle":1datuyyi said:
So there was this meeting in town last week. The topics included the Agri invest program (Canada), surviving crisis like we are now. The crisises included the high inputs, high dollar, feed costs, drought in some areas and flooding in other areas.
Well, I had figured on a price for the cost to keep a cow, on my own the last few months. Something we do atleast yearly. I was happy to know that i figured about 50.00 less than the gov did. The only thing I did not add in was insurances and land taxes, i think.
Any how the numbers were surprising.
Not including labour, depreication of equiment and before living expenses and loan payments the cost to keep a cow came to $491.00 Include depreiciation and labour $789.00.
$1.09 is break even on a 575lb calf.
$1.44 needed to maintain the farm
This does not include if you have to buy and haul hay.

An eye opener to say the least
I

Here is the post from the thread "ranchers only meeting" in the everything else forum

New here but long time reader.
As most of you, I struggle with trying to make a profit in the cow/calf business. Here are my thoughts on costs:
Pasture/feed costs:
In my area(central Alberta) pasture costs are going to run you around $1/pair/day. It doesn't matter if you rent the land or own it...you could rent it to someone else for $1/pair/day. Common practice is about 165 days grazing/year...$165 annually.
Winter feed costs:
Using acceptable hay/straw for 200 days is also going to cost around $1-$1.25/day/cow.
If you throw in the cost to run a truck/tractor etc. add that in too, but we'll just consider the feed cost so about $200 to $250/cow/per year.
Breeding costs:
You buy a decent bull for $2000/$2500. You sell him three years later for $1100. You feed him for three years. I estimate the cost at $40/calf.
Salt and mineral:
I estimate this at $20/cow.
Fence and corral upkeep:
Around $10/cow.
Vet and ID:
Barebones 8-way, IBR/BVD, ID tag, RFID tag, occasional bottle of antibiotics, rubber bands(or a new knife every year that you lose anyway!) maybe some dehorning paste etc.
$15.
Cow depreciation and interest:
What is your cow worth? How many years does she last? The numbers I put here are very variable but lets say you bought that bred heifer for $1000. She has eight calves before going down the road. Now she weighs 1300 lbs. and brings 40 cents a pound(I realize the USA has much higher cow prices)...$520? Knock off another $25 to get her sold and you pocket $495. So each of those 8 calves cost you $63.12 in cow depreciation? Interest on your $1000...lets say 5%(again all over the map here, put your own numbers in) another $50/cow/year? So interest and deprciation $113.12?
Selling costs:
Each calf has selling costs. In Alberta the going commission rate is 2% of price,so a $600 calf would be $12. Add on ABP checkoff, hartford insurance, brand inspection, insurance for crooked cattle buyers not paying...about another $6? $18?
On top of this you need to haul them or hire someone to haul them? Say $6?
So selling costs $24?
I come up with $587.12-$637.12 cost. This does not include labor, cost of a truck/tractor/quad/horse to feed, check on cattle etc.? This does not include the cost of running a waterer in winter or lights at corral or calving barn expense. This does not include the cost of financing feed purchases/pasture rent etc. This certainly does not include things like fertilizer/weed control etc.

Now lets look at income? I'll base this on 100 cows for convenience sake.
50 steer calves at 600 lbs. 50 heifer calves at 575 lbs.
steer sells for $1.05 X 600 = $630
heifer sells for $.90 X 575 = $517.50
Avg calf price $573.75? Now in a perfect world all the calves live and all the cows get bred...but in reality world it doesn't happen so lets say 95%? This brings the income/cow down to $545.06?
Now I know we don't all follow the above numbers. If we did we would be broke? Swath grazing, stockpiling forage, retaining calves can all add to the bottom line although I sometimes wonder about some of these practices? If the neighbor will rent your good land for $80-$100 an acre for crops, does swath grazing make sense? The same would be true for growing hay?

Bottom Line: Cow/calf production, at this time, is not a sustainable business. It might be fun but it really isn't putting any money in your pocket. The truth is we'd be better off flipping burgers at MacDonalds, let the neighbor rent our land, and put our money into a good GIC? Just my opinion...and yes, I'm so dumb I intend to keep my cows!

Well Mike I figured out a long time ago I wasn't going to delude myself about this business...although I still do it! So I know I'm losing money but keep on doing it...how dumb is that?
However there are some advantages? First of all I got to quit growing grain which I really wasn't all that fond of! Then if you work it right there are some tax advantages? Get to live out in the country and not punch a time clock! Eat pretty good and can be fairly lazy if I get a chance! And I like looking at the cows out grazing.
Of course it sure helps to live in Alberta and have a few oil/gas wells to pay the bills!

My best guess is it costs me about $400 to keep a cow year round. This is up from around $275-$325 just a few short years ago. The $400 is before doing any AI work, so I can easily add on another $35-$40/hd for the cows I AI. It is also tricky in that I produce my own hay, and it costs me less to produce it than it does to buy it. At least right now anyway. Hay is still pretty high. The cow/calf business is not easy right now. If I weren't selling some bred females and bulls each year, it would be extremely difficult.

That difficult thing to swallow, is it will probably get worse before it gets any better.

But then I think about that picture that diesel beef posted yesterday, and there are a lot of things that money can't buy. As long as my cows don't break me, and I can take my son out and teach him things about respecting the land, working for a living, working for the things you want in life, never giving up, etc. Well that is worth more than my cow's weight in gold.

Alberta farmer":326n4u4z said:
New here but long time reader.
As most of you, I struggle with trying to make a profit in the cow/calf business. Here are my thoughts on costs:
Pasture/feed costs:
In my area(central Alberta) pasture costs are going to run you around $1/pair/day. It doesn't matter if you rent the land or own it...you could rent it to someone else for $1/pair/day. Common practice is about 165 days grazing/year...$165 annually.
Winter feed costs:
Using acceptable hay/straw for 200 days is also going to cost around $1-$1.25/day/cow.
If you throw in the cost to run a truck/tractor etc. add that in too, but we'll just consider the feed cost so about $200 to $250/cow/per year.
Breeding costs:
You buy a decent bull for $2000/$2500. You sell him three years later for $1100. You feed him for three years. I estimate the cost at $40/calf.
Salt and mineral:
I estimate this at $20/cow.
Fence and corral upkeep:
Around $10/cow.
Vet and ID:
Barebones 8-way, IBR/BVD, ID tag, RFID tag, occasional bottle of antibiotics, rubber bands(or a new knife every year that you lose anyway!) maybe some dehorning paste etc.
$15.
Cow depreciation and interest:
What is your cow worth? How many years does she last? The numbers I put here are very variable but lets say you bought that bred heifer for $1000. She has eight calves before going down the road. Now she weighs 1300 lbs. and brings 40 cents a pound(I realize the USA has much higher cow prices)...$520? Knock off another $25 to get her sold and you pocket $495. So each of those 8 calves cost you $63.12 in cow depreciation? Interest on your $1000...lets say 5%(again all over the map here, put your own numbers in) another $50/cow/year? So interest and deprciation $113.12?
Selling costs:
Each calf has selling costs. In Alberta the going commission rate is 2% of price,so a $600 calf would be $12. Add on ABP checkoff, hartford insurance, brand inspection, insurance for crooked cattle buyers not paying...about another $6? $18?
On top of this you need to haul them or hire someone to haul them? Say $6?
So selling costs $24?
I come up with $587.12-$637.12 cost. This does not include labor, cost of a truck/tractor/quad/horse to feed, check on cattle etc.? This does not include the cost of running a waterer in winter or lights at corral or calving barn expense. This does not include the cost of financing feed purchases/pasture rent etc. This certainly does not include things like fertilizer/weed control etc.

Now lets look at income? I'll base this on 100 cows for convenience sake.
50 steer calves at 600 lbs. 50 heifer calves at 575 lbs.
steer sells for $1.05 X 600 = $630
heifer sells for $.90 X 575 = $517.50
Avg calf price $573.75? Now in a perfect world all the calves live and all the cows get bred...but in reality world it doesn't happen so lets say 95%? This brings the income/cow down to $545.06?
Now I know we don't all follow the above numbers. If we did we would be broke? Swath grazing, stockpiling forage, retaining calves can all add to the bottom line although I sometimes wonder about some of these practices? If the neighbor will rent your good land for $80-$100 an acre for crops, does swath grazing make sense? The same would be true for growing hay?

Bottom Line: Cow/calf production, at this time, is not a sustainable business. It might be fun but it really isn't putting any money in your pocket. The truth is we'd be better off flipping burgers at MacDonalds, let the neighbor rent our land, and put our money into a good GIC? Just my opinion...and yes, I'm so dumb I intend to keep my cows!
I think your # are pretty accurate But I was told along time ago that if you are going into the cattle business to make alot of money then don't go in the cattle business
I make a suitable living from farming alone but I have wroked off farm jobs and for a few yrs had nothing to do with the bus and made good money and invested it in land so that it was all paid for it so I could quit my day job the only way I could raise cattle and make it pay another thing to keep in mind is it isn't a job it is a way of life and more rewarding and frustrating than anything anyone in a nonfarming life cannot understand

Latest posts