Animal immobilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Has anyone used an animal immobilizer while dehorning?
I have some Brahman Holstein heifers and if you give them a shot they never forget.
They are very intelligent. I thought an immobilizer might work. I have seen ads for the Farm Freund and I think RAU. Any preferences?

I have used them in the past to dehorn both cows and larger calves. Makes it a lot less stressful on the animal and the person doing the work.

I have one. I have only had to use it when giving injections in the eye. They work pretty good.

I have used them and it does a pretty good job. I agree with the Kenny less stress on the worker.

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed

rabika":23twalij said:
Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed

Sustained electrical shock similar to a tazer. Immobilizes the muscle. We aren't aloud to use one or we lose our Natural beef certification.

3MR":2ha71iud said:
rabika":2ha71iud said:

Sustained electrical shock similar to a tazer. Immobilizes the muscle. We aren't aloud to use one or we lose our Natural beef certification.
Ok I have to ask, what would an immobilizer have to do with the beef being natural?

chippie":cng6i1dn said:
goodness. they are expensive. over $2K
Chippie, some are less than $300. Thats more in line with what the normal cattle person would use.
The more expensive ones have many more options especially that they are used in semen checking.

kenny thomas":3sh7hajg said:
3MR":3sh7hajg said:
rabika":3sh7hajg said:

Ok I have to ask, what would an immobilizer have to do with the beef being natural?

Absolutely nothing, but.......Our certification is through Global Animal Partnership and they include their version of Humane treatment in the certification. Several of their board members are former PETA type people. For example we cant use a Callicrate bander, or extermination as a form of predator control. They even have requirements on what kind of rodent control you can use. They come out every year and a half and inspect your operation.

Its a good program though. You can still brand and castrate with either the small bands or a knife. They push for pasture based and minimal handling of the animals and other stress reducing things, but understand drought and other problems and that sometimes you have to handle cattle.

Have let vet use immobilizer on one animal. NEVER AGAIN. As far as I can tell the animal still feels the pain 100%, it just can't move because its voluntary muscles are paralyzed. I thought it was incredibly inhumane, like happens when people wake up during surgery and can feel the pain but can't move. The website for the "main" brand of immobilizer says it immobilizes the voluntary muscles only, I believe. Yes certainly it makes it easy for the handler, but the animal still feels the pain. At least that's how it seemed to me and that jives with what I read about how it works, only effects the voluntary muscles, the pain is still there. I could be wrong but the way the animal breathed and how the eyes looked, it was in terrible pain.
BTW for dehorning I have my vet use lidocaine and also give a shot of Banamine, which I repeat in 24 hours sometimes. Very little pain involved, the nose tong is on only for a minute or two. Do this when the horns are maybe an inch long or a bit shorter, before they are very well attached to the skull, won't leave a hole, at least in some breeds. I read that having a nose tong used for a prolonged period can make the animal never forget and be chute shy, it's best to use the tong for as brief a time as possible--my vet puts it on, administers the lidocaine, takes the tong off, and after ten minutes or so when the lidocaine is in effect, puts it back on for the dehorning and cauterizing.

mjnetex":10zbhd3y said:
Have let vet use immobilizer on one animal. NEVER AGAIN. As far as I can tell the animal still feels the pain 100%, it just can't move because its voluntary muscles are paralyzed. I thought it was incredibly inhumane, like happens when people wake up during surgery and can feel the pain but can't move. The website for the "main" brand of immobilizer says it immobilizes the voluntary muscles only, I believe. Yes certainly it makes it easy for the handler, but the animal still feels the pain. At least that's how it seemed to me and that jives with what I read about how it works, only effects the voluntary muscles, the pain is still there. I could be wrong but the way the animal breathed and how the eyes looked, it was in terrible pain.
BTW for dehorning I have my vet use lidocaine and also give a shot of Banamine, which I repeat in 24 hours sometimes. Very little pain involved, the nose tong is on only for a minute or two. Do this when the horns are maybe an inch long or a bit shorter, before they are very well attached to the skull, won't leave a hole, at least in some breeds. I read that having a nose tong used for a prolonged period can make the animal never forget and be chute shy, it's best to use the tong for as brief a time as possible--my vet puts it on, administers the lidocaine, takes the tong off, and after ten minutes or so when the lidocaine is in effect, puts it back on for the dehorning and cauterizing.
That's pretty much how I feel about them too. Makes it easier on the handler but that's it. I wonder if the animal actaully feels more fear since the pain is there and it can't react.
We haven;t had to dehorn but one in the past 16 years, Polled Hereord cow bred to a hetero polled bull. We prefer to do it with the bull.

I have one. Bought it after a witch of a cow broke my hand and almost broke the wife's arm trying to get her big ugly teats milked out so her calf could nurse(she's no longer here). Have used it a half-dozen times, maybe, and not at all in the past 2 years. But it's ready to go, if I need it, and I'll use it if I feel it's indicated.
I've hooked myself up to it - no more uncomfortable than when my wife uses the electrostimulation unit on acupuncture needles. It's NOT painful.

Agree. The best way to dehorn is with a polled bull.

I want to keep my good cows so I try my best to avoid a real bad experience with them. When I AI, I do all I can think of to make it a pleasant experience because I want them easy to work the next time around. The heifer I hip locked in the chute this spring is still difficult to work. I don't need the aggravation of a cow that runs off over the hill every time the handling facility comes into her view. They say elephants never forget. Cows don't either. I just wonder if the immobilizer would make the same bad imprint on them that the event like the hip lock did on my heifer.

I use one only for branding, leaves no lasting impression on them. Just a heads up use it with care and make sure there is a way out other than straight ahead for the animal as it can be a bummer to get one that went down in the race up again.

I'm not of the opinion that the immobilizer causes pain - but neither does it block it; so, if it's a painful procedure, the animal is still likely going to associate it with the chute - and possibly with you.
My use of the immobilizer - if I ever need to use it again - is strictly to diminish the likelihood that the animal is going to injure ME while I'm working on it.
It's not a replacement for proper, adequate restraint or local anesthesia/analgesia, if indicated for the procedure.

I've never seen one used in person. Do vets use them with any regularity, or is mostly for the real jumpy ones? I thought they went in the rectum. How would you AI with one in?

BF,
The one we have has a pair of alligator clips - one goes on the nose, one on the tailfold. Don't know about a rectal probe style.
Not sure you could AI without dislodging the tailfold clip. Not sure I'd want to keep a calf out of a cow that couldn't even be AIed in a squeeze chute. I'm just sayin'...

Thanks lucky. I must have it confused with something else. I especially feel better about you using it on yourself now that I know the deal. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts