Angusplus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
I have been reading about the Angusplus bulls (red and black). My question is what is the advantage of the Aplus over using a Brangus bull or vice versa?

Mosho":28aaik2n said:
I have been reading about the Angusplus bulls (red and black). My question is what is the advantage of the Aplus over using a Brangus bull or vice versa?
what kind of cows would you use him on?

I believe that with angusplus you can have different amount of Brahman in them rather the the standard 3/8-5/8 mix. The theory being you can vary the amount of ear you need in the calves. I would think that is more important for those hefeirs that being retained then in the bull calves.

dun

If I was located on the Florida line, I'd personally choose Brangus for the 3/8's Brahman content to contend with the heat, even though I know you're not basking in the sun right now!

J. T.":1eg4g3i0 said:
If I was located on the Florida line, I'd personally choose Brangus for the 3/8's Brahman content to contend with the heat, even though I know you're not basking in the sun right now!
or if you used him on strait angus cows i had rather use a brangus. but they would work great on brangus cows to reduce some ear in the calves. or some herefords for a simi super baldie

My cows are 7/8 angus and 1/8 Brangus. I would like more muscle in the calves.

Mosho":36fj128m said:

I have an Aplus bull. For me the advantage is that you can cross it with the brahman influenced (brangus, braford, beefmaster, simbrah) and get calves that have less ear with the higher price of angus. JMO.

guest25":17tpoq33 said:
backhoeboogie":17tpoq33 said:
Might want to get a good calf puller too :lol:

every cattle breeder needs a calf puller they are far cheaper than the price of a dead calf, or dead cow and calf, or as cheap as a vet bill.

Pretty simple answer to this one. BS! We've needed a calf jack exactly once in 40 plus years, even then I don;t think it was really required.
If a jack is part of your normal equiopment you need to re-evaluate your genetics or managment

dun

guest25":16mpkl8l said:
For the record dun what did you keep on hand for that occasional ice storm. Not reevaluating that climate are you or management decision to live there.

Adequate deisel and gas, flashlight & batterys, water and dried food, a good generator and chainsaw. It was just or tornado emergcny supplies. Haven;t had to use them till now. The reason for being off-line so long wasn;t because we didn;t have electric. The wireless antenna was without power and the cell phone was our only communications.
When the trees started breaking we sure did re-evaluate living here. But that was because this place will be ugly for a long, long time.

guest25":2xafwp23 said:
Should one be less prepared for the cattle emergency. Calf puller in case of emergency not the norm.

If I would need them, that's were the younger dairyman comes in. More strength and stamina plus most of the dairys have a calf puller haning on the wall. A couple of them even know how they work.

dun

Latest posts