Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

They're both from the same basic gene pool, but the reds split off (actually were thrown out by the black breeders) some time back. They both have strngths and weakness' and nither is "BETTER"

dun

There is about the same difference, other then color, as there is between 2 line bred families of any other breeds.
The black folks have agreat marketing program (CAB) and it's done wonders for turning everything black.
We prefer REDS. It's a smaller gene pool, but most of the long time breeders have selected since the beginning for profit traits and didn't go for the giant animals that a lot of breeds did. Granted, there are some pretty big Red Angus, but they're not nearly as common as the huge Herefords, Shorthorns, blk Angus, etc.
In Canada they're in the same herd book/registry, in the US they're two seperate entitys.

dun

IMO the reds have done a better job of selecting for optimum carcass traits. More carcass numbers = more selection.

certherfbeef":i1ema9ob said:
IMO the reds have done a better job of selecting for optimum carcass traits. More carcass numbers = more selection.

That and maternal and fertility are some of the "profit traits" I was alluding to.

dun

Are you able to cross blk. and red angus, and register them?
The reds are ok. I prefer black's. I show both, and the red did just under the black.

You can cross ANYTHING and many folks do. Since blacks and reds are registered indiscriminately (is that a word?) in Canada you could cross them and have a registered animal. If you want black hide from the cross make sure the black animal is homozygous for the black gene!

I prefer mine red.
welcomeimage002.jpg

Latest posts