Angus is best just cause

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Roads

Reaction score
Went to town today 45 miles.. on the way back I notest a sighn that said "angus burgers" Wer'nt hungerd but thought that I would stop in for an iced tea....The lady said "can I help you"
Yes I said I will have tea..
Anything to eat????
What is angus burger??
Oh, that is the best burger..
What makes it better???
It's angus beef..
What is that??
It's just better beef..
Can I talk to the cook???
What makes angus better than other beef???
Don't know!!!
Can I talk to the owner????
She is the one that weighted on you...
???????????????????????????

I have talked to a lot of people in the general public, and they never know why "Angus is better". Also, you could show them a picture of an Angus steer and a Holstein, and they would not know which was which.

csm

The AAA has done a great job advertising, but they have not produced a better product.

CSM

Give consumers what they want; doesn't mean its better. They will just pay more for it. Angus association gave a branded lable that promoted it was better; people want know what they are eating. The label tells them what they are eating; "angus beef"; and they believe it is better because it is promoted so. I think it gives people a feeling of association to the producer or supplier when they can say they eat angus beef. Like oldtimer said; the rest of the associations were in hibernation.

Dusty Roads":1f7xnf5z said:
Went to town today 45 miles.. on the way back I notest a sighn that said "angus burgers" Wer'nt hungerd but thought that I would stop in for an iced tea....The lady said "can I help you"
Yes I said I will have tea..
Anything to eat????
What is angus burger??
Oh, that is the best burger..
What makes it better???
It's angus beef..
What is that??
It's just better beef..
Can I talk to the cook???
What makes angus better than other beef???
Don't know!!!
Can I talk to the owner????
She is the one that weighted on you...
???????????????????????????

:lol: :lol: :lol: Reminds me of four ladies in a cadilac who asked how much does the Lady that lives in the house pay you to keep up her yard. **scratching head** Well, nothing. But she does let me sleep with her every night. ;-) :lol: :lol: They sped off. :lol:

While we have Angus and I think they have the ability to do a lot of things right. It sounds like whining from everyone else.

Here's the same thing just different idea.

As someone from the city if they were to own a farm and what kind of tractor they should/would own. 9/10 would tell you John Deere, only because that's all they know.

OT is right, promotion in any business is key

TB-Herefords":ytt3juxv said:
people want know what they are eating.
You are exactly the reason why the CAB program works. Because it says CAB does not mean it is angus. :roll: Its marketing (lieing) not reality.

Had to take a trip and stopped in a butcher shop looked like they were butchering a PETA so I stopped. They had tenderloins for the angus it was 50 but the Herford was 85 almost exact weight.

novatech":1pcuddej said:
TB-Herefords":1pcuddej said:
people want know what they are eating.
You are exactly the reason why the CAB program works. Because it says CAB does not mean it is angus. :roll: Its marketing (lieing) not reality.

That's what I am saying. Most of the consumers don't know dipty doo about breeds or cattle. Little lone the requierments for CAB. The consumer feels like they know what they are eating when they out to eat. Therefore they will choose resturaunts; fast food joints; and groceries that has a label with it. That's the marketing. The public feels like they "know" what they are getting.

SEC; I dont think its whinning. Just people point out the over promoted Angus cattle. The promotion was great for the agnus market but I think it has given some false insite to their abilities. I have a few angus cattle in my commercial herd. They do great but I dont feel they excell. Their black hided calves sell for more; but not over my baldie's. I think once some of the other marketing groups are well established and push the education onto the consumer, it will change most of the mostly angus herds to what I consider higher producing crossbred herds. I think a lot of cattleman are heading that way now; that four five years ago strickly ran on angus. As the USDA constinues to promote and educate; and programs like CHB evolve; it will open up the maket for better cattle. Not just Black calves.

Most consumers think that Select is better then Choice but it shouldn;t matter. If they find a meat purveyer they like and stick with it they won;t go wrong.

last I heared you only have to have a percentage of angus to make it CAB,so you can have "ROAN-A-LOINS" I'm with everyone else,the differnt flavor come's from the way you feed your cattle!

rouxshortorn":1148cl7y said:
last I heared you only have to have a percentage of angus to make it CAB,so you can have "ROAN-A-LOINS" I'm with everyone else,the differnt flavor come's from the way you feed your cattle!

Phenotypic CAB qualifiers don't have to have any angus blood to qualify.

Just think of all the non-angus cattle that are helping build demand for angus bulls. :lol: :lol:

I think it's funny when people ask me if this is angus beef, when they know I raise milking/beef shorthorn. Maybe that's why angus taste so good.LOL

rouxshortorn":v1j5sr0d said:
I think it's funny when people ask me if this is angus beef, when they know I raise milking/beef shorthorn. Maybe that's why angus taste so good.LOL

You could raise angus just fine in your climate.

no need when people can't tell the difference in the beef,my red bull calves bring more money for steers"oxen" and do you think you could tell the difference from three plates of steak? I've had jersey that tasted better than angus and a freind that raises angus agreed. Their temperment has gotten better over the years but I grew up around shorthorn and would'nt change for anything.