Angus/Herford females

Help Support CattleToday:

This has been asked before on here and the answer would remain the same: there's no difference. A black baldy is a black baldy no matter how you look at it or how the cross went.

I know this has been thrown around on her before, but here is my answer.

It does not matter which way they are crossed. At least not after they leave their mother.

Some farmers love Aberdeen angus and want all the herd to be black and just use 1 hereford bull once in a while to make baldies for sale, and angus bulls in between for replacements in their on herd.
Some feel that it is easier to deal with just one crazy animal (their angus bull) and a herd of quiet and gentle hereford cows.

In my opinion your conditions should dictate whether you run angus or herefords cows. If your conditions are pretty good use angus cows and hereford bulls, in tougher conditions go for hereford cows and angus bulls.

If you go by what angus guys tell you then the hereford cows are cheaper to buy.
Then if you look at many of the sales this year, it tells us that the angus bulls as a rule are selling cheaper.

I really think it depends on the individuals. I have seen it work both ways. If your breeding your angus cows to a what should be a terminal, low maternal hereford bull, you probably will be dissapointed in the females out of them. You will gain some extra weight at weaning on the steers though.

KNERSIE":1ft0qnz1 said:
In my opinion your conditions should dictate whether you run angus or herefords cows. If your conditions are pretty good use angus cows and hereford bulls, in tougher conditions go for hereford cows and angus bulls.

:nod: Ill second Knersie on this one...

Just make sure that the cows have enough milk to feed those crossbred calves to their potential

user1":b16j9m8y said:
If you go by what angus guys tell you then the hereford cows are cheaper to buy.
Then if you look at many of the sales this year, it tells us that the angus bulls as a rule are selling cheaper.

Not to be rude, but as a rule of thumb, hereford cows do generally sell a little cheaper than angus. At least at all the sales ive been to. And idk what sales you went to or watched, but every one ive seen and been to this year, angus bulls have been selling at normal prices, if not higher. But thats just what ive seen.

Anguscattle":o35ioqj7 said:
user1":o35ioqj7 said:

Not to be rude, but as a rule of thumb, hereford cows do generally sell a little cheaper than angus. At least at all the sales ive been to. And idk what sales you went to or watched, but every one ive seen and been to this year, angus bulls have been selling at normal prices, if not higher. But thats just what ive seen.

Im talking about seedstock auctions, not the sale barn. I try to stay away from sale barns as much as possible. A lot of money can be made there.. Just not my cup of tea

I decided to look at some stats on the market of angus bulls this year. At seedstock public auctions the average is $4,660.00 per bull this year. 140 million dollars has ben spent on reg black angus bulls this year. And these are record highs with the trend going up. This info only includes seedstock public auctions. Not salebarn or private treaty sales. Info is provided by the AAA

ANAZAZI":1xncs0mk said:
I know this has been thrown around on her before, but here is my answer.

It does not matter which way they are crossed. At least not after they leave their mother.

Some farmers love Aberdeen angus and want all the herd to be black and just use 1 hereford bull once in a while to make baldies for sale, and angus bulls in between for replacements in their on herd.
Some feel that it is easier to deal with just one crazy animal (their angus bull) and a herd of quiet and gentle hereford cows.

Amen on that I only have one nut case to deal with. He is fine in the pasture other this hammerhead digs more holes than than any bull I have ever owned. Put him in the pen better work him first. He shows his ass everytime in the chute. He throw's good calves, his attitude is going to get him a ride down the road if he doesn't chill out.
My old Brangus girl the only one I got left since the drought might have his replacement. I have never been one for composite bulls but I know her epd's and what she throws as well as his. That old Brangus will never stand in a slaughter line she has earned the right to live out her life in peace and die here. That is the reason she didn't get culled in the drought, I can still walk her in a trailer, she is dog gentle to the point you have to be extra carefull around her.

This is IMO Hereford cows are better cow's and I have options you don't with a black cow.
If I want yellow baldies put a Char bull with the girls.
Black baldies a homo black bull.
Red Baldies a red one.

With black cows your stuck.

As far as prices go Brangus and Tigers brings top dollar at the sale for years here.
From what I have seen so far this year if it can have a calf it brings top dollar no matter the color.

Hereford association seems to think there are certain traits passed down from the sire side as opposed to the dams. Many of their ads are something to the effect of "Hereford sired females are....

Massey135":1k3lgf5g said:
Hereford association seems to think there are certain traits passed down from the sire side as opposed to the dams. Many of their ads are something to the effect of "Hereford sired females are....
surely to heck you know what their implying :lol:

Caustic Burno":33vmlwsh said:
This is IMO Hereford cows are better cow's and I have options you don't with a black cow.
If I want yellow baldies put a Char bull with the girls.
Black baldies a homo black bull.
Red Baldies a red one.

With black cows your stuck.

As far as prices go Brangus and Tigers brings top dollar at the sale for years here.
From what I have seen so far this year if it can have a calf it brings top dollar no matter the color.

And that sounds like a great plan for someone who likes to have the option of changing color. No argument there. I was just correcting the statement that angus are cheaper this year compared to others. I see no evidence of that. I like black cows, so changing color isnt something i would do so im satisfied with what I have. As far as the original question, I really dont think it matters. Its more of what you like and where you are

Latest posts