Angus Expert Question #5

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Angus Expert Q #5 You are being called as an expert witness on Angus bulls.
You may only answer the question. You may not ask any questions.
Question #5 : Which is the best Angus bull available today for HEIFERS with GROWTH. Must be reliable for use in heifers.
Only contemporary bulls. Bulls with grandsons with A.I. companies would not be
eligible. (In other words...younger, up and coming bulls)

Stevenson Rockmount: Calved out some heifers bred to him last year, came easily, grew good, and are thick made.

cow pollinater":39l8m269 said:
Brown Premier.
:lol2: Guess he didn't specify BA.
I've never used him but a large local Limo seedstock guy has really fallen in love with Sandpoint Butkus for his heifers. I've seen his calves at weaning and they are dandies. He claims that none of his calves have weighed more than 75 lbs, and none of the bulls have weaned at less than 700+ (he does creep).

Did Genex used to have Butkus? I can't find him when I google him.
Where would you get him now?

Air gator":1iuo0x3m said:
Did Genex used to have Butkus? I can't find him when I google him.
Where would you get him now?
Not as far as I know, Select Sires use to carry him don't know if they still do.

AAR TEN X is 10 years old and though he has many sons in A.I. I'm unaware of any A.I. grandsons, his sons and daughters
certainly have growth and are popular enough to sell for too much money (In my opinion)

CED 8 (35%) .95 acc.
BW .2 (30%) .98 acc based on 16,442 progeny (How's that for reliability?)
YW 122 (2%) .96 acc
SC 1.39 (15%) .96 acc
DOC 14 (45%) .93 acc
HP 18 (15%) .75 acc
CEM 11 (20%) .86 acc
Milk 27 (30%) .90 acc
$EN -5 (60%)
MH .5 (25%) .85
MW 43 (30%) .84
CW 60 (4%) .74
$B 181 (1%)

Deer Valley ALL IN is a 5 yr old TEN X son but I don't think any A.I. stud offers an ALL IN son... yet.

IF TEN X is too old... KCF Bennett FORTRESS at Select Sires (only going on epds as I have not seen any calves)
Consensus x Objective

CED 13 (10%) .63 acc
BW -.8 (15%) .81 acc
YW 129 (1%) .65 acc
CW 59 (5%) .42 acc
$W 81 (1%)
$B 165 (2%)

Seen alot of CTS Remedys. seem to be doing really good, selling well. High acc.I have a few straws on him, will use them this spring. (17331233)

S Summit 956 Best all around calving ease bull we have ever used here. Oldest daughters coming with their second calve. I have approx 40 head direct daughters to calve in the next 45 days. Disposition is sweet to say the least.

We will be using S WHITLOCK on some heifers this spring.

CED 14 .65
BW .6 .80
WW 76 .71
YW 128 .59

Also wanting to use Remedy, sounds like his demand is high

Just wondering if Whitlock daughters will compare with his brother's (Summit) daughters. Summit's $B # is a little low.

Air gator":mx6j3xj8 said:
Just wondering if Whitlock daughters will compare with his brother's (Summit) daughters. Summit's $B # is a little low.
Yes, wow, didn't notice Summits $B

Whitlock has better numbers on HP, CEM, SC, WW, YW, RE, CW, RADG and $B.
Also a .6 vs. a -1.0 on BW, which i'll take with a CED 14, CEM 11.

How about S Powerpoint? He's intrigued me as a young sire.

Looks a little short hipped but has some other nice attributes that I admire.

I saw Powerpoiint sell as a yearling. Definitely the most hindquarters, stifle that I have seen on a potential calving ease dire. Also had a teddy bear disposition.

He will be an interesting one to watch for sure. I think this year I'm going to use VDAR Cedar Wind on quite a few. Going to try something a little different than our typical Schaff breeding.

Hickock at ABS. Find me a more well rounded EPD profile on a young and promising bull and I'll shake your hand

I like the CE and growth of Sandpoint Butkus. I think he earned his wings....I think when he sold he was just another Sav Final Answer son until his calves sold.

Air gator":12wghn7e said:
I like the CE and growth of Sandpoint Butkus. I think he earned his wings....I think when he sold he was just another Sav Final Answer son until his calves sold.
I like him too. Does SS still carry him though? Didn't see him offered last time I looked at their site.

Latest posts