Angus Expert Question #5

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm going to agree with SOB, Ten X. We have a Ten X son and we have had excellent results.

Sydgen Wake up Call (#16388600)
Currently in the top 50 bulls in the main sire summary for $B ($179.02) Top 15% for WW (64) and YW (117) with acceptable BW (0.5) and CED (+9) for heifers. No holes in his EPDS he is in the top 50% of the breed for every EPD except 1. Top 15% of the breed for all the $ values ($W, $F, $G, $B, etc).
I have seen him a few times in person, perfect rib shape, exceptional feet and legs, docile. Still breeding cows at 8 years of age. We have some coming 3 yr olds here that sure look like they are going to be fantastic cows. Bred back early for calf number 2. Looking forward to this years calves for sure.
Maternal brother to Sydgen CC&7 with an EXT type of story to his early life.

I couldn't find a photo of him. Seems like they would be promoting him a little more.

AirGator,
www.amonettfarms.com.

Wake has two big problems with promotion, first he sold for a song at Midland (~4500) while his penmate sold for over $60,000. Second he is 8 and the pedigree is ancient by semen company standards. Wake is in the Origen catalog but the picture is of him in his working clothes, by the looks of it he was putting in some OT that month.. I gave you the web address for the owner because there are some pictures in there of him in better condition. It shows his ribshape and mass better.

I have used some more popular bulls that do some things better but Wake has really hit every mark for us so far. He has one big hurdle left, fertility/longevity.. I wont know on that one for a while. Early results are very good, the weaned nice calves for 2 yr olds and bred back for the early part of calving season according to preg check. I used him on heifers last couple of years and got a bunch of bull calves that didn't quite make the cut, so they ended up in the first group of steers going to harvest. We keep less than 10% bulls intact, these calves were in the 10-20% range out of heifers, so they grow.

SAV Rainfall if you want some of those genetics. Charlo by 4136 in a low BW package and one of the highest marbling bull EPD's of that flush I think. I've heard wonderful things about his daughters...but I have not seen any personally.

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAANcKCr6lgfV5nlFAhNvnblkxbf69BwYVinSsmx0QLyZt&time=LgAAAJ9XsedpKaxoLKmPZhiNjSjG60INOYqAK%2bUKEj8NTswi%2b137k8F8fUW1NCGu31OPzA%3d%3d

There are some fine bulls on this list. I'd double down on what others have stated and focus on proven high accuracy bulls.

For my operation I don't chase growth on heifers. I had a heifer this year that had a 95 lb calf that grew like a weed for 3 months. I was really impressed. Then I think the heifer just ran out of juice. She also seemed to suffer on breed back. Will be weaning in 3 weeks but the calf looks to be about average weight, maybe a bit under for the group. I will take that.

torogmc81 said:
We will be using S WHITLOCK on some heifers this spring.

CED 14 .65
BW .6 .80
WW 76 .71
YW 128 .59

Also wanting to use Remedy, sounds like his demand is high

CED 14 Is great! On 9 month old heifers.

I stand by the Wake up Call comment from 2 years ago. Our two oldest daughters are now 5 years old. One is raising her 5th calf right now (one set of twins) they other has raised 3 @108 and has a nice heifer calf on her this fall. He will add frame but docility, good feet, rib shape, and fertility are all there as well. We have 5 more in the pipeline. Using him again this fall.

jscunn said:
I stand by the Wake up Call comment from 2 years ago. Our two oldest daughters are now 5 years old. One is raising her 5th calf right now (one set of twins) they other has raised 3 @108 and has a nice heifer calf on her this fall. He will add frame but docility, good feet, rib shape, and fertility are all there as well. We have 5 more in the pipeline. Using him again this fall.

Couldn't open the pics you had 2 yrs ago on Wake Up Call. Can you repost them, and any others of his offspring? He has peaked my curiosity...again.

Kdhansen,
Here are some pictures of some wake progeny. We have been very pleased with him. I think one of the wake 5 yr olds will be our first pathfinder in Feburary. 3@107 weaning weight ratio with a 352 day calving interval. Calved AI again this fall with a GAR Sure Fire heifer. The cow pictured below is also 5 yr old with 4 Calves @ 101 weaning weight ratio.

This is one of the 5 yr olds as a 2 yr old

This is a pic of the 2yr old as a 5 month old calf.

Same heifer this August.

Wake himself guessing September of 2017.

Calf from this fall

Richnm said:
torogmc81 said:
We will be using S WHITLOCK on some heifers this spring.

CED 14 .65
BW .6 .80
WW 76 .71
YW 128 .59

Also wanting to use Remedy, sounds like his demand is high

CED 14 Is great! On 9 month old heifers.

Currently. You're replying to a 2017 post. And thought his #'s stayed the same? They all come down with time and accurancy.

jscunn: Thanks! VERY nice heifers/cows. Wake Up Call must be ~8 years in that pic? Who is the sire of the calf in the first pic of the "5yo as a 2yo with her first calf"? Looks like it was a really good cross. Thanks again, I really appreciate it, sure helps making a decision.

Yes Wake was ~8yr old in that picture. The calf in the picture of the 2 yr old wake was by Sydgen Rock Star. It was a heifer and she is here in production currently.

jscunn said:
Yes Wake was ~8yr old in that picture. The calf in the picture of the 2 yr old wake was by Sydgen Rock Star. It was a heifer and she is here in production currently.

We have a Rock Star son and my goodness he is amazing. I think we're going to get him collected. Our issue has been he is SO docile that a Consensus son he is turned out with won't let him breed any cows! We want his genetics so we'll use him by the straw it looks like.