Angus/Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

farmer4620

Reaction score
What does everyone think of Crossing Angus with Charlois? Good calves...tender...fast growers

Several years ago I bought some Angus and Baldy cows (moderate frame) with smokey calves at their side. I weaned those bulls, steered them, implanted them and they grew like nobody's business. If you're marketing all your calves as feeders, this is a good combination.

what if you are gonna finish your own around here everyone has feddish with angus...including me...but i believe some planned cross breeding could work better

The Char bulls on Brangus cows sure work for me!

I would think the Angus would work better for you up your way.

Of course, some are gonna scream about "Rattails" but a study from Clemson Univ. says the rattails do just as well as the others in the feedlot...........

Besides only about one out of a hundred have the chance of being a rattail. You need one to go in the freezer anyway.

But then again, breed a Char to a red angus cow to eliminate the rattails altogether. It comes from the "black" gene.

I have a neighbour that uses Charolais over good quality Angus. Can't see the benefit. He gets females that look like Murray Grey and don't seem to have that extra oomph that hybrid vigour gives you.
I would be using a South Devon or a Brahman over them. Don't waste good Angus with any old breed.
Colin

Charolais cross very well with either Angus breed and with Herefords. Good old yellow or grey calves, they sell really well in these parts. They get a bit bigger than their Angus parent, but not insanely so. As J.T. said, it is a winning combo.

A friend of mine used charl. semen on angus cows. Real nice calves, growthy and strong. He also plans to make a killing selling them as club calves. Pretty hot combo in the show ring. I also like the combination.

Australian Cattleman":334xh2lf said:
I have a neighbour that uses Charolais over good quality Angus. Can't see the benefit. He gets females that look like Murray Grey and don't seem to have that extra oomph that hybrid vigour gives you.
I would be using a South Devon or a Brahman over them. Don't waste good Angus with any old breed.
Colin

I know they are a registered breeed but here a Smokie(Char/Angus) cross is the same thing to us. If someone raised Murray Greys in my area. Everyone would just think they were Char/Angus crossed cows.

Good combo...Charolais puts a little bone and frame in them.

semen demon":261d8l6m said:
A friend of mine used charl. semen on angus cows. Real nice calves, growthy and strong. He also plans to make a killing selling them as club calves. Pretty hot combo in the show ring. I also like the combination.
Here they are more inclined to use a Chianina on Angus for the Chiangus for club calves. Any breed calves work if the quality is there though.

I like em real fine as cows --put black bull on them, get black calves--red bull, red or tan calves

I think the smokeys make great mommas, too. However, I usually get a really dark grey or dark brown calf when they are mated back to a black angus bull. Some of them are spit out black, but it is a small percent.

How do the buyers react to the really dark smokey gray calves? We have a couple of heifers that were out of Charolais cows and an Angus bull, and they are smokey colored. I like the growth on them and the heifers turned out nice, so we held over two heifers for replacements to see how the calves do. I don't think the buyer here discounts them here. I wondered how the buyers were reacting in other areas.

I don't see why these calves would be discounted, even if they are smoky. They are half angus, which everybody seems to want, and half char, which grow very well. In my opinion this would be one heck of a good combination if people would just look beyond the color of the critter and more at the profitability.