Angus Bulls with genetic defects

Help Support CattleToday:

SEC

Reaction score
Wondering what bulls are out there that maybe some of us don't know about.

This might not be for the faint hearted either.

The Angus breed is subject to a-mannosidosis, a genetic
disease. Unless both the sire and dam have one copy of
the defective gene, you will not know you have it in your
herd. That mating will produce a calf that will die shortly
after birth---a brain defect. But not all calves will inherit
both copies of the gene, so it might be a carrier but not
die since it didn't get both copies of the gene. It's sneaky.
Doc Harris could probably explain it better.

Here's a link to a study re mannosidosis in Angus cattle:
http://www.biochemj.org/bj/137/0363/1370363.pdf
(it's a large pdf article)

Here's a link showing a study on the NIH page titled "Control
of A-Mannosidosis in Angus cattle:
http://tinyurl.com/znehu

Here's a quote from the Australian Angus assoc webpage:
"Mannosidosis freedom. All animals in the HBR are direct descendants of animals which were tested and culled for the genetic recessive Alpha Mannosidosis."
link for that:
http://www.angusaustralia.com.au/Regos_ ... isters.htm

I didn't see any mention of it on the American Angus
page that was cited in the link provided above.

Thanks for your replies. What I was actually shooting for were cases like Traveler 722 who is noted for throwing scurs and yet ABS doesn't admit it and the Assn doesn't have it listed.

Take a case like High Valley 7D7 who has the dwarf gene, where does it come from, how far back.

The scapegoat cow turned out to be Leachman Blackbird B601. But there is nothing flagged or noted on her flush sisters? Have they been dwarf tested?

Why don't the Stud Companies, Breeders and everyone prove bulls to be GDF like they did in the old days?

Are there people terrified to find out what might be lurking in the back ground.

I believe they used to breed a sire to 50 daughters.

HA HA! I would like to see 50 father daughter mating from New Design 036.............. it would look like it's from Mars.

OK Jeanne":2ov23zsq said:
Here's a link to a study re mannosidosis in Angus cattle:
http://www.biochemj.org/bj/137/0363/1370363.pdf
(it's a large pdf article)

Here's a link showing a study on the NIH page titled "Control
of A-Mannosidosis in Angus cattle:
http://tinyurl.com/znehu

Here's a quote from the Australian Angus assoc webpage:
"Mannosidosis freedom. All animals in the HBR are direct descendants of animals which were tested and culled for the genetic recessive Alpha Mannosidosis."
link for that:
http://www.angusaustralia.com.au/Regos_ ... isters.htm

I didn't see any mention of it on the American Angus
page that was cited in the link provided above.

Would you post a link to the Murray Grey website that tracks genetic defects in Murray Grey cattle, please. Thanks....

SEC":ve58w1z9 said:
HA HA! I would like to see 50 father daughter mating from New Design 036.............. it would look like it's from Mars.
Dang SEC, you aren't the only one that would like to see that. But I would bet there are more that wouldn't like to see it.

SEC":3oiibo3z said:
Thanks for your replies. What I was actually shooting for were cases like Traveler 722 who is noted for throwing scurs and yet ABS doesn't admit it and the Assn doesn't have it listed.

Take a case like High Valley 7D7 who has the dwarf gene, where does it come from, how far back.

The scapegoat cow turned out to be Leachman Blackbird B601. But there is nothing flagged or noted on her flush sisters? Have they been dwarf tested?

Why don't the Stud Companies, Breeders and everyone prove bulls to be GDF like they did in the old days?

Are there people terrified to find out what might be lurking in the back ground.

I believe they used to breed a sire to 50 daughters.

Interesting idea SEC. The dwarf gene in the Hereford association didn't require that many matings. I want to think it was 16 but I could be wrong. 16 clean calves from father daughter matings proved a bull clean.

Hi Frankie - don't take it personally! I'm certainly no
expert, but I thought almost every breed had something
that could crop up as a genetic defect. I don't know of
a website that has a listing of possible genetic
defects of Murray Greys.

OK Jeanne":27ac3wo0 said:
Hi Frankie - don't take it personally! I'm certainly no
expert, but I thought almost every breed had something
that could crop up as a genetic defect. I don't know of
a website that has a listing of possible genetic
defects of Murray Greys.

:?: Take what personally? I was curious about how Murray Grey Associations handle genetic defects. Do they track them at all?

ollie'":1n5w0zss said:
Interesting idea SEC. The dwarf gene in the Hereford association didn't require that many matings. I want to think it was 16 but I could be wrong. 16 clean calves from father daughter matings proved a bull clean.
I may be wrong but I think the Angus Assn. recommended 30 sire X daughter matings to prove a bull clean of the dwarf gene.

alpha-mannosidosis is insidious and relates to the pH (power of the Hydrogen ion in cells and tissues) of Neural cells and systemic organs of the animal's body, and the explanation presented by Drs. Phillips, Robinson, Winchester and Jolly is clinically extensive and correct, and classically confusing! The bottom line is: if both copies of the gene are present - it is homozygous and lethal - and the calf dies shortly after birth! If only one copy of the gene is present, the calf, if it survives other vicissitudes of life, is heterozygous - and can be a carrier without manifesting the lethal trait and the calf's owner will not be aware of the gene's presence unless and until a DNA testing is performed - as with other Genetic traits and characteristics - or is mated with another carrier, and the "roll of the dice' produces a Homozygous progeny and we go back to square ONE!

My suggestion is this: DO NOT PANIC! The condition is not contagious as we consider epidemics and pandemics. I am convinced that the American Angus Association and our Veterinary Colleges and Drs. are on top of the problem as much as is possible at this point in time.

DOC HARRIS

Is this fairly recent stuff regards to this Hydrogen Ion?

I haven't heard of this before.

Are there any AI bulls that are showing up as a carrier of this?

Would the heavy use that popular AI sires see increase or decrease the chance of a genetic fault surfacing?

Is this fairly recent stuff regards to this Hydrogen Ion?
No, SEC. This "pH" fact has been known for - - -I don't know how long! Long enough that it gave me chills in College to work with it - and explain it on my State Board Examinations! pH literally means "Hydrogen Power". The degree of acidity or alkalinity of a solution; it is the logarithm of the reciprocal of the hydrogen-ion concentration in gram equivalents per liter of a solution. 7 is the pH of pure distilled water and is regarded as neutral. pH values from 7 down to 0 indicate increasing acidity and from 7 to 14 indicate increasing alkalinity. Example: .0000001 gram atom of hydrogen ion per liter yields a numeric reciprocal of ten million, the log of ten million equals 7, therefore 7 is the pH or neutral.

DOC HARRIS

I don't think the heavy use will increase the chance anymore than the fact that there are more cattle around as well.

I would think it would increase when some wonky blood gets mixed up and doubled up.

We have seen over time how there are some bloodlines that you can linebreed with and some that can't be. If I see that bloodlines seem to do well with linebreeding it certainly reassures me of the genetic goodness.

Latest posts