angus bull b c marathon

Help Support CattleToday:

angusdave63

Reaction score
i thought while we are talking about angus bulls, i would ask about the marathon bull. i have a son out of him and a bando 598 cow, that is 13 months old. that i like very well. i was thinking of using him next summer on some of my cows has anyone used the marathon bull and how did you like him thanks David

I got my first corp out of him this fall. Been using K205 and I could pick out the marathon calves by their width across the back and by looking at them from the front. Don't know what that means, haven't harvested any. They are a frame size smaller than the Extra bloodline, but I think they made it up with width. Not sending to the feedlot this year, feeders are too high.
Bought a bunch of heifers out of Raven, only have ten so far, fifteen more coming. Gonna' also buy another Marathon son to breed them back to. Forgot what the heifers were bred to now, but came direct from Conley's farm. See Bill's and Donna's cattle every day checking mine, they are doing a good job for a smaller, 200 cow, breeder. Anyway, I think he is the way to go, at least in No. Mo. gs

thanks for the reply, my bull would fs 5. he is kind of thick, great disposition. i ran him with some char heifers this fall and i think he may have them all settled. i know he was sure working on it last month. my wife was raised on a jersey Dairy and thought he worked like a jersey bull. i need to outcross from the precesion breeding in my angus. they have 3 marathon sons and a raven son at the purdue test station it will be interesting to watch how they preform there David

When I got the bull, my first thought(Sorry not a very good businessman, bought him and the heifers sight unseen), was "Man how much did they feed him". Well, he didn't lose any of what I thought was fat, it was meat. A ranch in Ok. fed him for Bill.
Valire, looking up his reg. #. Don't really know how. gs

plumber_greg":24yhw3is said:
When I got the bull, my first thought(Sorry not a very good businessman, bought him and the heifers sight unseen), was "Man how much did they feed him". Well, he didn't lose any of what I thought was fat, it was meat. A ranch in Ok. fed him for Bill.
Valire, looking up his reg. #. Don't really know how. gs
Is this your bulls sire?
B C Marathon 7022 Reg: AAA 14187839
Valerie

hey valerie would you or plumber greg consider marathon a terminal or maternal sire i am sure you have seen more of his calves than i have this bull is the only oe i have thanks David

angusdave63":3lv6qv0l said:
hey valerie would you or plumber greg consider marathon a terminal or maternal sire i am sure you have seen more of his calves than i have this bull is the only oe i have thanks David
You have to ask plumber greg, the Marathon bull is too high BW for our program. I do not have any of his calves nor have I see calves out of him.. sorry I'm no help to you.
Valerie

My question would be with a CEM epd of -5, BW 0f 5.7 and 14 for milk, how could he even possibly be considered for a maternal bull

thats kinda what i thought 3 way but the angus breed is so maternal i guess some sires are more terminal than others anyway i will see next summer what my bull throws

vclavin":16ck2c07 said:
angusdave63":16ck2c07 said:
thats kinda what i thought 3 way but the angus breed is so maternal i guess some sires are more terminal than others anyway i will see next summer what my bull throws
Which Angus bull are you using?
Valerie

Valerie if you are talking to me then the answer is a son of LCC New Standard. I am very happy with him so far. I will post a picture one of these days of a balancer heifer out of him that I really like.

I'm nt gonna save any heifers this year out of him but,I will next year. Birth weights in the 85-95 lbs range don't bother me, IMO if you want the weaning weights to go up, you gotta' get the birth weights up. IMO a good cow can have a good calf, I calve in the middle of the winter, and just have had trouble with smaller calves having trouble getting out of the snow and mud. Everything is different for everyone, just the way I want it. Been buying bulls for years, with no regard to BW Epd, last thing I look at. My heifer bull is a +5.5 by the way, and I pulled the first calf ever last year, but probably didn't have to, just needed to go to work. JMHO gs

3waycross":1fi2b3a0 said:
My question would be with a CEM epd of -5, BW 0f 5.7 and 14 for milk, how could he even possibly be considered for a maternal bull

14 for milk in angus by many is seen as a desirable trait - especially for range cattle. Many believe angus needs more moderate milking. The beauty of ai is that a bull like Marathon can help moderate extreme traits that may exist in particular cows in the herd. A 5.7 birthweight on angus scales is equivalent to the average birthweight of other breeds. No reason Marathon couldn't be a maternal bull at all if you use him right - like all semen.

3waycross":knruyejo said:
vclavin":knruyejo said:
angusdave63":knruyejo said:
Which Angus bull are you using?
Valerie

Valerie if you are talking to me then the answer is a son of LCC New Standard. I am very happy with him so far. I will post a picture one of these days of a balancer heifer out of him that I really like.
I was actually curious about angusdaves's bull. But I have been using LCC New Standard in our AI program. Beautiful calves!! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see the heifer!
Valerie

plumber_greg":bfsjwz8r said:
I'm nt gonna save any heifers this year out of him but,I will next year. Birth weights in the 85-95 lbs range don't bother me, IMO if you want the weaning weights to go up, you gotta' get the birth weights up. IMO a good cow can have a good calf, I calve in the middle of the winter, and just have had trouble with smaller calves having trouble getting out of the snow and mud. Everything is different for everyone, just the way I want it. Been buying bulls for years, with no regard to BW Epd, last thing I look at. My heifer bull is a +5.5 by the way, and I pulled the first calf ever last year, but probably didn't have to, just needed to go to work. JMHO gs
We only use bulls with a BW EPD of #2 or below. That said, birth range is 65-93 weaned calves range from 450lbs to 800lbs depending on heifer/bull and first/last born. Weaning weights go up with WW EPD. One of my heard bulls is a -3 BW and they still grow. Highest Cow/Heifer BW is around +3.
Valerie

valerie my bull is out of marathon and a bando 598 cow he is running about a 5.0 frame score with a lot of muscle thickness and length he has had that bull look since he was born or shortly there after that is he has a ce of 6 and a bw epd of 3.1 i am sure some of that better calving ease comes from mama i bred him to an er justice heifer and 5 charolais heifers this fall in sept and oct i will know what he throws next summer i suppose David

angusdave63":z6o35l70 said:
valerie my bull is out of marathon and a bando 598 cow he is running about a 5.0 frame score with a lot of muscle thickness and length he has had that bull look since he was born or shortly there after that is he has a ce of 6 and a bw epd of 3.1 i am sure some of that better calving ease comes from mama i bred him to an er justice heifer and 5 charolais heifers this fall in sept and oct i will know what he throws next summer i suppose David
Has he been tested neg for AM? or are you keeping back heifers?
Thanks
Valerie

i have some heifers coming out of a line bred 878 bull that i really liked as well as some char x shorthorn and maybe a couple herfords i was gonna save them and breed them to the marathon

Latest posts