angus bull b c marathon

Help Support CattleToday:

angusdave63":37clsb1v said:
i have some heifers coming out of a line bred 878 bull that i really liked as well as some char x shorthorn and maybe a couple herfords i was gonna save them and breed them to the marathon
We used the 878 bull, didn't care for him on registered angus. Pulled a calf out of him too. You must have the proper genetics to match to him,I do not.
Valerie

i have way to much precision 1680 in my angus so i am trying to outcross from that as much as possable hence the 878 and marathon bulls

angusdave63":2353uufa said:
i have way to much precision 1680 in my angus so i am trying to outcross from that as much as possable hence the 878 and marathon bulls
Oops, I have several friends that are in the same boat as you. Ultrasound guy had a huge number to test because of 1680. I only had 2 and they were negative. But now have 2 cows that need testing for CA from that bando bull.
If you ever need gentle and muscle, use Rito 6I6. Well muscledcalves, even I can spot that and I'm no good at phenotyping animals.
Valerie

i see the infocus bull is really popular and an outcross to precision cattle have you seen any of his calves if little marathon does not work out i was thinking of using him thanks David

angusdave63":36gxbqna said:
i see the infocus bull is really popular and an outcross to precision cattle have you seen any of his calves if little marathon does not work out i was thinking of using him thanks David
If you are talking about Mytty In Focus, yes, I have a herd bull out of him and several females. Several calves in those pics are grandkids of Mtty.
Valerie

I've seen several Marathon and Matrix sons that are very shapely, muscled and look quite attractive. I've also seen some good In Focus calves but I don't thing he's the cure-all that so many have been using him for in recent years.

Jake":3esdy5e4 said:
I've seen several Marathon and Matrix sons that are very shapely, muscled and look quite attractive. I've also seen some good In Focus calves but I don't thing he's the cure-all that so many have been using him for in recent years.

Cure all for what?
Valerie

Several breeders around here have been breeding most anything to In Focus. In this process I have seen A LOT of very sub par MIF calves. I will attribute this to the low quality cows they are breeding them to. I have never been a huge fan of MIF because I dont' think he really throws enough muscle or high quality females. He is a high average bull and works on many females but when every breeder breeds him to their best of course the calves look good. Any bull looks "good' when bred to the best females a breeder has.

Jake":2g8o39h3 said:
Several breeders around here have been breeding most anything to In Focus. In this process I have seen A LOT of very sub par MIF calves. I will attribute this to the low quality cows they are breeding them to. I have never been a huge fan of MIF because I dont' think he really throws enough muscle or high quality females. He is a high average bull and works on many females but when every breeder breeds him to their best of course the calves look good. Any bull looks "good' when bred to the best females a breeder has.
Understand. Of course.. this is also more likely true of any bull used on substandard cows.
Valerie

Of course... I'm just saying that I have yet to see a MIF son that really made me say WOW. Pretty ordinary cattle they do well but TO ME are not the best option out there.

angusdave63":2wxdpat9 said:
so what bulls do you like jake just asking your opinion David

I tend to lump angus cattle into two different groups.

My first pick for maternal cattle is Ohlde genetics. Take your pick I've seen a lot of them and a lot of their progeny and they are the best cow makers in the breed.

My first pick for "popular" cattle is some of the SAV genetics. I"ve seen some really good Final Answer and Net Worth sons. I've also seen several other SAV bred cattle and they have always been fleshy, well uddered, well muscled cattle. I really haven't seen any that are huge framed either, there seem to be much bigger cattle out there.

i really like the olhde cattle also but i just have not seen a lot of sav cattle but from there ai sires i am sure they have it down to a science also. maybe an sav bull is in my future who knows

Latest posts