Angus AM question

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I just got the paper back on my Angus heifer. First thing I noticed is that the registration papers look a little different (its been about 2 yrs since I've had one that I registered, I've just been selling calves) and on the bottom part of the paper it said something along the lines of "an ancestor of this animal has been shown to carry Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM) and you should have this animal DNA tested soon to rule it out blah blah blah". So my question is, how do I determine which ancestor it is that is the carrier? I want to know this because 1. I probably wouldn't want to use that bull again if it is the bull 2. About half of my herd is made up of her maternal side (dam, granddam, dam's sisters, etc.) and if it is a problem on that end I am in big trouble. I assume if it was something on the maternal side I would have heard about it before now but I wasn't sure if this was something newly discovered. I tried using the AM search function on the AAA website but it won't work. On the Genex website it says that the heifer's sire, RAB-EGL Blue Moon 4407M is "AMF" which I assume means AM free. Also, the reg paper says I should get DNA testing (which I assume would just be tail hairs?) done at an "approved lab"-what would be an "approved lab"? If someone could help me out and point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it. This kind of things makes me not love my Angus so much :? :help:

First of all post the registration number of your animal, and I bet someone could tell you which animal it is coming from. Second if it is AM and the sire is tested free of AM then it has to be coming from the bottom side of the pedigree. It may be NH and I dont know the sire to know if he is NH posititve or not. post the registration number on here and you will have an answer by the end of the day.

Heifer is M&M Blue Moon Blackberry #16516606, Sire is RAB-EGL Blue Moon 4407M # 14422326 and dam is M&M Luke Mayberry #15623613.
Thanks.
Do you think if I call AAA they can give me the info? Usually when I call them it is a big runaround.

The note you are referring to shows up due to her maternal grandsire, C&K Direct Luke 104F, descending from GAR Precision 1680 four generations back in his pedigree. Easiest way to test is to order the test kits from the Association and pull a small blood sample. Send it off to MMI Genomics and have them run tests for AM and NH. I would think with it back that far she would be clean but you never can tell. But honestly, you would be better served to test her dam, M&M Luke Mayberry. If she tests clean and then the sire has already tested clean, then you wouldn't need to test her.

Hope this helps.

That is very helpful. I will get in touch with the sire's owner and order the test kits as well. Appreciate it.

You've gotten good advice here. You know Blue Moon is clean; he's been tested. So you only need to worry about your cow and heifer. Test the cow so you'll know about future calves and I'd test the heifer just in case the cow is positive.

Here's a link to the Angus list of approved labs.

http://www.angus.org/pub/AM/AMlabs.aspx.

Frankie":hcjgqrlt said:
You've gotten good advice here. You know Blue Moon is clean; he's been tested. So you only need to worry about your cow and heifer. Test the cow so you'll know about future calves and I'd test the heifer just in case the cow is positive.

If it were me, I wouldn't test the heifer until I knew if the cow was a carrier or clean. It only takes a couple weeks to find out and if the cow is clean then you save $$$ by not having to test the heifer.

Angus In Texas":ren4hwxq said:
Frankie":ren4hwxq said:

If it were me, I wouldn't test the heifer until I knew if the cow was a carrier or clean. It only takes a couple weeks to find out and if the cow is clean then you save $$$ by not having to test the heifer.

Whatever works for the poster. In our case, it was easier to test both the cow and calf at the same time rather than have to get them back to the corral, through the chute, order another test kit and do another mailing.

Well the minimum order from MMI was 5 kits so I had to order 5 but they are only 2 bucks-I'll have to pay the fee when I send them back in so i guess I'll wait and see how much that is. Mama should be preggers too so I'll potentially need the other test later. Appreciate the input, and keeping my fingers crossed. Waiting to hear back from the owner of the bull too-I wanted to make sure she was aware because it doesn't show up on the AAA site that he's been tested.

You can also go to the Angus log in if you haven't registered I would sure recommend it.

This feature of the association web site allows active regular, life and junior members to create a password-protected profile, log in and view their registered herd inventory, AI certificate inventory, EPD data, cow production records, submit registrations and performance data, and much more.

You can also get a potential carrier report from this section of their web site. Then you will know which animals within your herd are potential carriers of both the AM and NH defect. I would recommend going back to the oldest potential carrier within your herd to test once that cow test clean all of her decendents are also cleaned up. This could save you $'s down the road.

http://www.gizmoangus.com

gizmom":2eofeyh7 said:
You can also go to the Angus log in if you haven't registered I would sure recommend it.

This feature of the association web site allows active regular, life and junior members to create a password-protected profile, log in and view their registered herd inventory, AI certificate inventory, EPD data, cow production records, submit registrations and performance data, and much more.

You can also get a potential carrier report from this section of their web site. Then you will know which animals within your herd are potential carriers of both the AM and NH defect. I would recommend going back to the oldest potential carrier within your herd to test once that cow test clean all of her decendents are also cleaned up. This could save you $'s down the road.

http://www.gizmoangus.com

That is really good advice. Didn't think to mention it before.

The $2 fee is for the kit only. To test 1-20 samples for both AM and NH through MMI, it is $36.00 per sample.

gizmo-thanks for the tip, I do have a login but wasn't aware of all those functions.

Pfizer will send you the kits for free, and I think the AM test is $29.

RD-Sam":16tm3te0 said:
Pfizer will send you the kits for free, and I think the AM test is $29.

Does Pfizer report directly to the association?

I just knew MMI is who it goes through if you use the association's testing kit.

Yes, the results of the test go straight to the AAA, and you get the results as well.