Angry calf

Help Support CattleToday:

longtimelurker":1lie9cn5 said:
I'd say turn the calf in with a pen of a couple hundred other calves you would never know it was crazy.

This is probably true, but if you separated out each of those couple hundred calves, hopefully most wouldn't behave this way if you've been selecting for disposition. Any chance to get a nutter out of the breeding pool is good. If you keep it, eat it.

I've got a nice looking heifer I'd like to breed, except for her disposition, so she's heading for the freezer. Which kind of hurts when she's 100% of my calf crop. I don't want to be lumped in with many small timers who don't cull when they should.

Chuckie":1po2p3tn said:
The little calf he has, is a stinker. The calf needs to worry more about getting hurt than PFL. He is a good sized guy, and when the heifer came at him, and got closer, he put his foot out on her head and shoved her backwards. When she charged him again, It was like WWF. He was all over her. He had her feet tied together before she knew what hit her. He does not live that far from me.

I would not want to get into a fight with him, for sure. Now I want to see him do that to one of those 700 lb heifers he owns.

I would've paid money to see that!
:lol:

KMacGinley":3cfdto3o said:
Get rid of it.

I have seen some that are a little angry when they get off the trailer. After a day or two they either settle down or they grow wheels. Some cattle are just made for a high fenced feed lot with mounted pen riders. :cboy:

What's really funny is when you unload one at the sale barn.....couple of yard men and a brand inspector and maybe a vet standing behind the trailer.......seein all those guys scrambling for up the fences always cracks me up!

grubbie":1khyuyhv said:
What's really funny is when you unload one at the sale barn.....couple of yard men and a brand inspector and maybe a vet standing behind the trailer.......seein all those guys scrambling for up the fences always cracks me up!

Well Grubbie I guess that goes under the heading of you gotta take your thrills where you can find them. Been there got the stomped hat to prove it. :help: :cowboy:

I got a heifer calf, about 450# acting agressively too, she is with 9 others, but she I am very leary of. The few times I have had to go in the pen, I do sense that she could be trouble, she seems to come right up to me, no qualms about it, even the shooing and waving of a stick, etc.. doesn't faze her, she is different than the others. My radar goes up whenever I am around her-one to watch for sure.

GMN

Latest posts