And the kitchen sink

Help Support CattleToday:

Vector transmission would suggest flies, possibly ticks. But will never know.

My first cow diagnosed was 7 and heavy bred. Couldn't figure out what was wrong, thought maybe she had a dead calf in her and she had a high temp and was kind of limping but no other signs/symptoms. As soon as the vet palped her he felt a huge tumor. Fast & furious, put her down a week later. Side note: track loader died when she was in the bucket, mid air. John Deere came out and 5 hours later was finally able to transport her for a proper burial. Thankfully she was in the barn & not on public display. :hide:

Second cow was 6 and the first sign was bulging eyes. Diagnosed after implementing the disposable needles/syringes protocol so fairly certain she had it but was asymptomatic for a long time. Which segues into it's most likely still in my herd (and yours). Similar to anaplasmosis where they have been exposed but aren't active.

Thanks TC. Thing like these always make me nervous. It's like a time bomb waiting to go off, but you don't know which cow it's gonna hit.

SBMF 2015 said:
Thanks TC. Thing like these always make me nervous. It's like a time bomb waiting to go off, but you don't know which cow it's gonna hit.

Bingo!

What baffles me; I have a closed herd. Bought our original 33 bred 3 year old cows 11 years ago (still have one) and since then every cow I now have has been born & raised here, the exception is the registered, virgin bulls. So how did my herd become exposed? The original cows or bulls? We don't dehorn or brand, vet palps & tattoos. Things that make you go Hmmmmm . . . .

Latest posts