And so it Begins

Help Support CattleToday:

Randi

Reaction score
3 days ago we sorted the heavy heifers off to start watching them. They're due about Mar 4, and there's about 30 synched to start then. Mostly, we sorted them already, because we want to get them used to being walked through, and to be on the safe side as the weather's quite cold right now. Didn't really expect any calves quite this early. The heifers (same plan) last year waited til Feb 27.

Well, of course, nobody obviously told them the game plan, as we came home from helping a friend Scour Bos his cows on Feb 20, and when I went out to have a walk after dark.... I found this....
FB-IMG-1550900769696.jpg

He was a little chilled, but warmed up rather quickly, sucked a bottle, and was back with mama by midnight.
FB-IMG-1550900776669.jpg

IMG-20190223-000721-343.jpg

And then yesterday...We came home from doing our cows and found another one.... This one was up looking for a suck, but he got a trip to the barn too, and they're enjoying the good life right now, no hurry to move them out quite yet...

IMG-20190223-000726-147.jpg

-17 C and dropping, wind howling...2 more calves since noon, guess they're going to calve early this year. 25 more heifers synched early....so we put them ALL in the barn tonight. Should be nice and toasty in there tonight...

Good luck, here in NE Iowa in Rained all morning. Has been raining again since 4, now sleet/snow and expected 50 mph winds and 9" snow by Monday am. Another storm projected Tuesday. 1 cow due 8th, 10 heifers due 10th, bunch cows due 15th. 13 heifers I got a 20x38 open front with snow/ice I cant shut the gates even if i wanted to lock them in. Cows are on pasture yet. I thought i was getting smarter calving in March vs February! Going to be a long spring for everyone

We have 350 cows due Mar 13...the long term forecast is terrible. Hopefully we will have most of our heifers calved by then!

There is about 1,800 cows between here and the post office (4.5 miles). They started about 2 weeks ago. Every field has lots calves in it. It has alternated between cold, snow, and rain over the last two weeks. It was clear and cold yesterday. Spitting snow today and 4 to 6 inches of new by tomorrow afternoon. Weather can't make up its mind. I am babysitting 80 fall pairs and there is 20 dry cows mixed in with them. Calves number 5 and 6 born today. About 5 of those dry cows look open to me. So I have about 9 more to go but no idea when they should be do.

I just drug in a set of twins to put in the hot box. They're going to have short ears but otherwise are alright.
That's what happens when you set your alarm for 12:30 PM instead of 12:30 AM and wake up at 1:30. That only happens when it's -30. :mad:

Silver said:
I just drug in a set of twins to put in the hot box. They're going to have short ears but otherwise are alright.
That's what happens when you set your alarm for 12:30 PM instead of 12:30 AM and wake up at 1:30. That only happens when it's -30. :mad:
What does your hotbox look like Silver? Sounds interesting.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
Silver said:
What does your hotbox look like Silver? Sounds interesting.

Ken

It's not much to look at. It's a plywood box that the front opens, straw on the bottom and some heaters inside. I'll post a pic sometime. Have considered getting a fancy new one but this keeps doing what it needs to do.

Latest posts