Ancestry

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan":1hqwb962 said:
For those of you who know where you come from from way back, was that information handed down, or did your research it?

Are any of the online sites worth paying for?

Ours has been recorded since the 1600's when the first outlaws settled in Maryland.

herofan":1vjg78fk said:
For those of you who know where you come from from way back, was that information handed down, or did your research it?
Both

Several years ago, most of the online sites were completely free...not any more. They'll get you in the ballpark and get you access to research other's with the same name have already done. Worth it? Depends just how badly you want to know what's in your woodpile.
Kentucky? Your tree will likely be pretty linear.

herofan":394fltw2 said:

Once you do it everybody else will know, as your information will be recorded, and if no laws past to protect you, maybe used against you one day or your family.

On Ancestry.com you have the option to keep the family tree you work on private. I liked how easy it was to trace my lineage back with the little knowledge that I had of my parents and grandparents.

Stocker Steve":te70fafw said:
Caustic Burno":te70fafw said:
After 46 years I gave that habit up about a year ago.

What is there to live for after you give up haying and tobacco?

Hunting,fishing,biscuits and gravy.
I am more concerned with the shape of the kitchen versus the cook at my age.

Had the same thoughts about chewing tobacco skewing the results.
Ancestry would be my choice because of large data base and easy to use.
You are right about Kentucky results being linear. My wife comes from about 50 miles away and across the river. It might as well be from another country. Two totally different groups of people came to Kentucky 200 years ago and continued to intermarry within their clan. Ancestry calls my group "Virginia Settlers" and hers "Eastern Kentucky".
Her clan is almost totally English and mine English with a good dose of Scotland.

Logan52":26ijtl1y said:
You are right about Kentucky results being linear. My wife comes from about 50 miles away and across the river. It might as well be from another country. Two totally different groups of people came to Kentucky 200 years ago and continued to intermarry within their clan. Ancestry calls my group "Virginia Settlers" and hers "Eastern Kentucky".
Her clan is almost totally English and mine English with a good dose of Scotland.
Her family knew how to swim. Your's didn't. :lol: :hide:

TexasBred":14jsodbd said:
Logan52":14jsodbd said:
Her family knew how to swim. Your's didn't. :lol: :hide:

My brother always told the story of how Arkansas and Louisiana got settled with less intelligent folks than Texas. When the settlers moved West thru Arkansas and La, they came to a sign that said "Texas ahead". Them that could read kept going and crossed the Red and Sabine Rivers...them that couldn't read, settled right there in Arkansas & La.
I've been to both lots of times and lived in La for years.

M grandmother on my mother's side told the story of leaving Alabama for Texas and some of the family were scared to go. They honestly believed the rumors that people in Texas were wild and even had horns growing on their heads.
I believe the story.
Some of that family, after riding a train as far as New Orleans, then continuing on in a wagon, and finally arriving up not far from where HurleyJD now lives, stayed only a little while, then went back to Alabama...said life was too hard, it was too hot, and there too many 'ruffians'.

My father's side also came from Tn, via Ala after the Civil War..bible entry says from 'Lauderdill Cy' but it was actually Lauderdale County. They all settled in NE Texas just SW of Texarkana in Bowie and Titus counties.

Logan52":1vgoorl3 said:

Mine came back as the Virginia settlers as well, although mine was almost half Irish, my great father was a son of Irish immigrants that came here around 1850, the rest were in the country since at least the early 1700's. The next largest percent was British. Then 8 or 9 % Germam and about the same amount Iberian Peninsula. I was surprised about the Iberian Peninsula part. There were also small amounts from other places as well, mine is proof that the country really is a melting pot as they used to say.

Ky Hlls, if you return to Ancestry and look for updates, I think you will find the Iberian Peninsula and German now listed as England and Wales. The melting pot for Kentuckians was back in England before they came to America. The 1850 Irish is different and we have a dose of that here, I just don't happen to have any in my line.

Ky hills":g0w9j4i1 said:
Logan52":g0w9j4i1 said:

Mine came back as the Virginia settlers as well, although mine was almost half Irish, my great father was a son of Irish immigrants that came here around 1850, the rest were in the country since at least the early 1700's. The next largest percent was British. Then 8 or 9 % Germam and about the same amount Iberian Peninsula. I was surprised about the Iberian Peninsula part. There were also small amounts from other places as well, mine is proof that the country really is a melting pot as they used to say.

Why would the Iberian peninsula surprise you. For centuries European areas were at war with one another.
From Viking settlements all over Europe to 100 years war to the Napoleons conquest Europe was a salad bowl of intermingled nationalities.

Caustic Burno":3t8p18jm said:
Ky hills":3t8p18jm said:
Logan52":3t8p18jm said:

Why would the Iberian peninsula surprise you. For centuries European areas were at war with one another.
From Viking settlements all over Europe to 100 years war to the Napoleons conquest Europe was a salad bowl of intermingled nationalities.

I just hadn't thought about it, I knew it would be high percent Irish and Scottish, with some English and German. It was also surprising in a sense that my mother's came back with a significant amount of western European and some eastern European.

Logan52":3sutimic said:
Ky Hlls, if you return to Ancestry and look for updates, I think you will find the Iberian Peninsula and German now listed as England and Wales. The melting pot for Kentuckians was back in England before they came to America. The 1850 Irish is different and we have a dose of that here, I just don't happen to have any in my line.

I stand corrected, just went back and looked, mine is listed as Lower Midwest and Virginia Settlers. You are correct that a lot of the melting pot was in Europe. I also found that mine is still listed as Iberian Peninsula defined as regions in Spain and Portugal, and Germany is listed under western Europe. England, Scotland and Wales are listed as Great Britain I believe. I also have a small amount of eastern European, Native American and North African.

greybeard":3pl7i2tw said:
Kentucky? Your tree will likely be pretty linear.

Probably. I married my grandmother when I was 12 and had 3 kids. She was married twice before; once to her brother and once to her dad. I just needed some help with getting the family tree plotted on a large poster.

All joking aside, it was once common in the "Virginia settlers" group for first cousins to marry as a means of keeping wealth in the family. This occurred both back in Virginia and in Kentucky. We are certainly line-bred since I descend from several individuals who were original settlers in this county in at least three separate lines each. I am not my own grandpa but do trace back to these same individuals over and over.
This is all changing rapidly now and genealogy will be much more challenging in the future if time stands.

On my mother's side there were at least 2 other families with their name in the county, and none claimed kin, there was a marriage between some of them. I found through my research that all of those families were in fact related stemming from the same family in Virginia. Another family and mine on another line are related through as they call it a double first cousin.