anaplasmosis and pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
My 3 year old heifer has had her 2nd calf in June. She is now losing weight and we have given her LA-200 as told to by the vet. He came out to see the cow since she was not getting better and says she has pneumonia and possibly anaplasmosis. What information can you give me on treating this. This is my first sick cow. :cry: He gave her another shot today and we are go give several more over the next few days. Any information would be helpful. Would anyone recommend keeping this cow since it is now possibly a carrier of this disease. I am eleven and want to know how to help take care of my cows. I have ten cows and one bull. My dad helps me a lot.

New Cowboy...that is some really hard news. Anaplasmosis is a nasty disease...your vet did a blood test (RCA test) to confirm this? The antibiotic is given over a three day period and the heifer may remain a carrier for life. When the heifer recovers you will need to check your herd for any signs of the infection. Check with the vet to get the proper management practices to follow with the rest of the herd.
Good luck....Susie

Welcome to the CT Boards, NewCowboy. Your heifer really is having bad luck to have pneumonia and anaplas at the same time, huh? It would be good if your vet did like Susie suggested and submitted a blood sample to test for the anaplasmosis, but it might not be absolutely necessary. If he pulled blood from her, he might could have a pretty good guess just by looking at it.

If she has anaplasmosis, I personally wouldn't keep her. However, some say it is possible to get rid of the carrier status with enough treatments with one of the tetracyclines (LA200 or similar). Sounds like that may be what your vet is trying to do, so the two of you should get together and make the decision about whether or not to keep her. Also, ask your vet about using an Aureomycin or similar feed additive to help protect your other cattle. And if you decide to sell her, don't forget the withdrawal times before she can go to slaughter. It's 28 days for LA200. You need to see what else your vet gave her to see if that might be longer.

Here is some information from the Merck Vet Manual about Anaplasmosis:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... aplasmosis

I have trouble reading and understanding most of the big words and stuff, but maybe your Mom or Dad can help you. Just keep in mind that it's not necessary to understand every word to get some useful information out of it.

Once again, welcome to the CT Boards. Most of the people here are really nice and are very good about helping out another cattleman. Hopefully, you guys can help us out some, too. Good luck with your heifer.

If she has anaplasmosis and lives in my opinion she should be sold. Keep the flies in ckeck and sanitary conditions with every thing. Every thing!!! Knives, needles(hopely you change them), or any thign that draws blood is sterile when used. EVERY ONE, keep flies in check. I think now more than ever fly born diseases are in fuul swing!

Scotty

NewCowboy":36hck41p said:
My 3 year old heifer has had her 2nd calf in June. She is now losing weight and we have given her LA-200 as told to by the vet. He came out to see the cow since she was not getting better and says she has pneumonia and possibly anaplasmosis. What information can you give me on treating this. This is my first sick cow. :cry: He gave her another shot today and we are go give several more over the next few days. Any information would be helpful. Would anyone recommend keeping this cow since it is now possibly a carrier of this disease. I am eleven and want to know how to help take care of my cows. I have ten cows and one bull. My dad helps me a lot.

Anaplas is spread by biting insects. If your cow has it, it can be spread to the rest of the herd. But healthy young cattle don't usually get sick from anaplas. It's a disease that affects the ability of the red blood cells to carry oxygen. A young cow like yours should be making so many red blood cells that she won't show symptons. Lots and lots of cattle have had a mild case of anaplas while they're young and then are immune to it for the rest of their lives. If one cow in your herd had it, it's likely the rest of the herd was exposed at the same time and had already developed immunity. So, no, I wouldn't sell her. Penumonia in cows can be treated with a good antibiotic. There is a lot of info on the web about the disease. You might do a search and read up on it.

By the way, a heifer is a young female that has never had a calf. Your three year old with her second calf is now a cow. Good luck...

Thank you for answering me. My mom gave our cow Penicillin and Gentamicin for four days from the vet. She is still coughing and having a runny nose. She seems to feel better though. Now she has big clots of blood in her doo doo. Is this a symptom of some other problem! Our vet says we should wait thirty days and sell her if she lives. I sure hate to sell one of my cows, but I guess the vet knows what is best. Her calf is only 3 months old, and seems to be doing fine. Anyone with answers about blood in the poop would be helpful to me. Thank you.

NewCowboy,
sorry about your cow. hopefully the vet will get back to you with some good news. If you do have to sell her, keep in mind that you cant keep them all and you are raising them to sell. Maybe you can trade her in for a new one. as long as you have them you will have ones that get sick, no matter what. its part of the business. keep us posted and good luck, beefy

Have you had this herd tested or vaccinated for BVDV??? There could be some PI (Persistently Infected) cows in the herd and this thing could flair up again. The virus weakens them and they start showing Pneumonia and other respiratory conditions. HOw are the calves?

My mom gave our cow Penicillin and Gentamicin for four days from the vet.

I have been told gentamicin is extremely hard on their kidneys...I do know you are NOT supposed to use it in cattle, regardless of what your vet says...

At the moment, I cannot recall if gentamicin is completely prohibited (I believe that is the case) or (as one vet claimed) if I have a prescription for it and agree to withhold the animal from slaughter for 18 months I can use it.

Regardless, you can't send this cow to slaughter in 30 days - or at least not and feel right about it - you have to choose if you simply want to get a few dollars off a half-dead animal or do the ethical thing and not send her on that one-way trip.

At least not that one-way trip to the sale barn.

Can't trust every vet or person who offers advice. Pennicillin, LA200, Nuflor, Baytril, Micotil, etc etc are labelled for use in cattle. Gentamicin is not. I've learned to check my sources and check my labels before I give any drugs to any animals. You'll do the same next time.

Here's wishing you the best of luck with your others. ;-)

Yes, I thought gentamicin was on the banned list; but did not want to say anything. I looked it up and unless some change has occurred in the law, you are right. http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/aug04/040801b.asp
And here is where some poor dude was taken to the wood shed by the feds for this...
http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/g3188d.htm

Once the deed is done, I am not sure what to recommend. If it was me (at this point) I would either cure the cow (if humanly possible) and give her another year (the estimated withdrawal time IS 18 months so 12 is pushing it) OR eat this one myself (dispose of the kidneys!!! and probably the liver too). If she looks so bad that even I can't stomach grilling her steaks myself; then do I need to send her to 300++ different unknowing homes???

Sounds like johnes or anaplazmosis if it anaplaz when the flies bite on top off her back the blood will run strait down like water. they become real enemic. the vet definitely needs to do a blood test. if it is johnes dont keep any off springs & check here moma if you have her .in fact test the whole herd

I am going to look that up about the Gentamicin and take it to the vet. That really infurates us. We rely on the vet for his "knowledge". Sounds like the only ethical thing and safe thing to do is to put this cow down, even though she is looking better today. I would like to know where I can find more information on this regarding no Gentamicin in cattle. Thank you very much for this information. Regarding the blood dripping down after a bite, I actually noticed this today on one of her front legs...... :shock: Thank you to all that have given information. New Cowboys dad[/quote]

Best of luck to you.

My vet has prescribed gentamicin before as well...he also uses it on his own stock but does observe that lengthy withdrawal time. On a week old calf an 18 month withdrawal isn't such a big deal, but an older cow is a different matter.

I didn't know about gentamicin either until I was told here on the boards it was prohibited. That's how I've learned to...well, not trust anyone until they've proven themselves. I double check almost everything I'm told - especially when it comes to drugs. Sounds a little cold, but when it comes down to it, I'm the one responsible for my animals, not my vet or neighbor or anyone else.

Along the same lines...here's a complete listing of prohibited drugs for you...hopefully it will help in the future. Gentamicin, bute, nitrofurazone, dmso, all but two or three sulfa drugs, etc are all banned.

http://www.saanendoah.com/prohibiteddrugs.html

Latest posts