american simmi bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

angusdave63

Reaction score
i am wondering about these american simmi cattle. i have had mostly angus and herfy cattle for the last 25 or 30 years, and i am thinking about buying a simmi bull to run with my angus and herfy cows. we had the flecks several years ago but i have not kept up with the breed since. what kind of c.e numbers and bw numbers would you consider safe for heifers, and for a simmi that would milk similar to an angus what numbers would you be looking for there thanks Dave

looks like the avg c e is 7.5 i think id stay in that range or higher on B W the avg is 0.7 Id stay at 0 or lower on angus cows. Milk is 3.4 i wouldnt be scared to fall below that some maybe to a 1. I have some of both, what works best for me is a 3/4 angus 1/4 sim that makes some nice cows to me. Not starting any arguments it just works for me. So you may want to consider a half blood bull which the EPD #s change a little CE 8.6 BW -.6 Milk 2.1 Just used a 5/8 blood bull in the winter for clean up. Thats my 2 cents on it.

Take a look at some of the Dream On sons...or bulls by one of his sons. They are very good at birth weight and calving ease, plus not out the roof on milk EPD's. Some of them may be a little low for you may be looking for...and some will be right on the money. I think one of the reasons Dream On became the breed leader for many years is he moderated the high milk production of Simmi cows back in the day. Great phenotype too. Dream On was homo polled and hetero black, and most of his sons are the same, with a few homo black. We AI'd a couple of purebreds to the D.O. son Built Right, a few to Manifest (not D.O.), and the rest to Cut Above (Fat Butt). My best cows are daughters of Dream On, and I have some really nice heifers of CircleT Antoinettes Star "Star"...a good son of Dream On. I crossed all the DO's to Fat Butt, with the exception of one that bred to Manifest. I have a grandson of DO in with commercial cattle.

I have seen several sons of Ranch Hand, and he produces good bulls. I can't tell you much about his daughters, as I have only seen four or five of his sons. Sure Bet is another good bull. I have seen his sons and a few daughters, most of which were very nice.

Dave,
I used a few Simmental/Fleckvieh bulls back in the '80s, and linebred my base herd of SimAngus cows to one particular line for nearly 20 years. Switched back to Angus bulls 6-7 years ago, but most of the Angus sires we've used just weren't giving us everything we wanted...so, I've gone back to Simmental for some of the cows - still using some Angus, some Shorthorn, and the cleanup bull is Angus, but I just like those Simmental-influenced cows.

The Dream On line seems to be good.
Dikeman's Sure bet has been a reliable calving ease sire here - and has a good balanced epd profile for virtually all the other traits that are important to me - including marbling, tenderness, API/TI.
We're also using three sons of Hooks Shear Force 38K to keep the calving ease, marbling & tenderness, without sacrificing growth, and all have good API/TI. Triple C Singletary on cows, Triple C Bettis and Hooks Pharaoh 16P on heifers. If red doesn't bother you, WS Beef Maker, another Shear Force son, would be at the top of my list, as well.
Would like to try Lucky Dice 187H at some point.

We run two bulls a direct son of Dream on and a direct son of ranch hand and could not ask for anymore. Both bulls are as calm and easy to be around. We are very pleased with there calves. We have angas and angas/simmi cross cows that we breed to these two bulls. We have not had a calving problem and the calves start growing good as soon as they hit the ground and wean really well.

Now angusdave wasn't asking about Gelbvieh bulls, this thread is about Simmi bulls. 3way needs to tell you gelb.breeders not to be a butting in on other breeds threads. Not that it has ever stopped me. :lol: :lol:

Red Bull Breeder":2b05ic8c said:
Now angusdave wasn't asking about Gelbvieh bulls, this thread is about Simmi bulls. 3way needs to tell you gelb.breeders not to be a butting in on other breeds threads. Not that it has ever stopped me. :lol: :lol:

:lol2: :oops: :lol: I raise Gerts! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Santa-Sol ... 7832456928

Just had a bad experience with simmys and simangus back in the day.... Sounds like the man could benefit from some good balancers! :2cents:

SSGenetics":29wmr16c said:
Red Bull Breeder":29wmr16c said:

:lol2: :oops: :lol: I raise Gerts! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Santa-Sol ... 7832456928

Just had a bad experience with simmys and simangus back in the day.... Sounds like the man could benefit from some good balancers! :2cents:
due to what....??

ALACOWMAN":2hkhwmzt said:
SSGenetics":2hkhwmzt said:
Red Bull Breeder":2hkhwmzt said:

due to what....??

Calving issues, attitude problems, and the lack of heat tolerance were the main issues. They were really nice cattle to look at, but by the time I was done culling them out there was nearly nothing left. Now I know my experience with them has been much different than most so take it for hat its worth, not much... Hell, look at Jeanne's cattle :clap:

Sorry for the highjack :oops:

SSGenetics":nywb4lqq said:
Red Bull Breeder":nywb4lqq said:

Id rather have the angus gert f1 female bred Gelbvieh for the feeder.

Massey135":1m2kipz9 said:
SSGenetics":1m2kipz9 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1m2kipz9 said:

Id rather have the angus gert f1 female bred Gelbvieh for the feeder.

The calf would be a meat wagon for sure.....

ALACOWMAN":bsu5l8ty said:
given the gert cows i just soon use a balancer bull, on them..

Yup... been wanting to try it, but Im having really good luck cleaning up with red angus and hereford bulls right now.

I have three Sure Bet heifers out of angus-ish cows that I like quite a bit but they're still pretty young. You would have a realy hard time picking them out from the angus sired calves without watching them from day one but there is a little more growth.
Sharper Image is a Simangus bull that is out of Sure Bet. If you adjust across breed epd's, he's the biggest growth bull in the fall ABS catalog across all breeds and is still fairly calving ease.

SSGenetics":grt06fws said:
Red Bull Breeder":grt06fws said:

The meanest bull I have ever worked around was a Gert, and my cousin's 3 yr old SG bull just croaked for no apparent reason. Should I say Gerts have attitude issues....and longevity is a major issue? Naw, I'm smart enough to know those were just individual probs with two individual bulls.....the same with your Simmi issues. My experience with Simmi's have proven to be the opposite of your problems. I assume your experience with Gerts were opposite of my very limited experience with them.

Now back to the American Simmi bull thread. :)

Red Bull Breeder":8tjk5kwl said:

Didn't see it or I would have. A little respect goes a long way when it comes to these breed threads! :tiphat:

and yes Randy it never stopped you before :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ;-)

3waycross":27mav4sk said:
Red Bull Breeder":27mav4sk said:

Didn't see it or I would have. A little respect goes a long way when it comes to these breed threads! :tiphat: and yes Randy it never stopped you before :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ;-)
you got that right,, you'll get about as little here as any where :cowboy:

Gators Rule":181zqmmg said:
SSGenetics":181zqmmg said:
Red Bull Breeder":181zqmmg said:

The meanest bull I have ever worked around was a Gert, and my cousin's 3 yr old SG bull just croaked for no apparent reason. Should I say Gerts have attitude issues....and longevity is a major issue? Naw, I'm smart enough to know those were just individual probs with two individual bulls.....the same with your Simmi issues. My experience with Simmi's have proven to be the opposite of your problems. I assume your experience with Gerts were opposite of my very limited experience with them.

Now back to the American Simmi bull thread. :)

:oops: Now I said my experience was probably an isolated one and even praised Jeanne's cattle. I know, all Char bulls are cow killers, all Herefords have bad udders and prolapse issues, all Gerts are crazy, and so on.... Believe me I know what it is like to deal with an old stigma of a breed.

Really sorry for the thread drift, I'm still learning the ropes of the forum.... No disrespect intended.

Latest posts