Amarillo is quite the drive! Whew!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
My son and I went to Amarillo to get him enrollled in school and try to find him someplace to live. I forgot what a long drive that is! Did see some pretty country, though.

So we went to the school's houseing office to see if they had any apartments left, thinking, no way, and sure 'nuff they did!

Do you know where they do student housing at Amarillo College???? At the old, I don't know, Army, Air Force? base there at the east edge of town!!! In like, some old barrracks. Cracked me up! Looked like a scene from Mad Max out there! But they have them fixed up nice on the inside and the campus police are housed there. It's real cheap. It's just spooky... Ever see The Stand? It is like that! I don't want to think of what it is like when the wind starts howling at night around there! But it is three people to an apartment with two bathrooms and a common living and kitchen area. But I swear, if there were manaquins standing around out there, it wouldn't suprise me. Just creepy! My son loves it. Now he'll have stories for his kids.

Anyone know the place I'm talking about?

TXBobcat":2loe2p3u said:
Sounds like the TSTC campus I went to in Waco. I believe they closed the TSTC campus in Amarillo.

Yes, my brother went there in 70? 71? to study farm machinery mechanics. I remember that was pretty bleak, too. He lived on campus, but I don't know where.

They have like, 4 different campuses in Amarillo. My son is studying Mortuary Science, but his classes this fall will all be at the main campus, which is really pretty. He will go to the west side of town to take his major classes. The east campus, where the housing is, they teach short term mechanical and safety classes, like companies sending guys out there to take 3 weeks worth of training.

Anyway, it is out there by itself and it is pretty strange. The quads are in a big square with what might have been some sort of parade ground in the middle. I'm not sure which base it was. I thought Shepard, but wasn't that in Abilene?

I think that once the other students move in, there will be a little more life to the place, but yesterday it was really spooky. I told my son that that they should make an outdoor Christmas tree out of tumble weeds!

Mind, I was all of 5 when my brother went to Waco. Lest you think I got into the motherhood thing a little late... ;-) Back then it was called John Conally Tech.

That's good information. I didn't know what kind of base it was but you can tell it was a base. Like I said, spooky. :eek:

I was there in Feb. 1964 going to tech. school for the Air Force. Iwas studing to be a 1 and 2 engine aircraft mech. It did me a lot of good . It got me 3 tours to nam.They were all expences paid. Good Luck.

endebt":2f0p6ajh said:
I was there in Feb. 1964 going to tech. school for the Air Force. Iwas studing to be a 1 and 2 engine aircraft mech. It did me a lot of good . It got me 3 tours to nam.They were all expences paid. Good Luck.

So you were there when there were a lot of guys training? I was hoping that someone had actually been there.

Three tours of duty? Wow.

Yes, it was the old Amarillo Air Base in 40's ... an old sack training base..it was also used by Bell helicopter during the Nam war ...all choppers coming back into country were refurbished there for years.. It was the commercial air port for yrs until the new one was built in 70's... it has been the site for TSTI & may other things..last time I was by there in 94' it was only about 1/2 as big as it was originally..

Latest posts