Am I on the right track?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a set of xbred heifers that will calve this fall - bred to an Angus bull. I'm thinking of purchasing a Braford bull from a reputable farm - I know the bulls dam and sire (both are solid)....I won't "need" a bull until next April as I'm planning on rotating these 1st calf heifers into a spring calving schedule. I'm purchasing this bull now as a yearling because I believe I can maintain him for a year and still have less $$$$$ in him rather than trying to a 2year old next spring. This bull weighed 85# @ birth. Any comments or criticism?

Background:
Heifers are medium size -- will make mature cows weighing 1075-1200#
Minimal Brahman influence --
I Plan on keeping any heifers off him --

Thanks for any input

Victorian bulls work really well back on hereford based or brahman based cows to produce what looks like f1 cattle with more leather. They are also popular on angus or brangus heifers in the south to produce what looks like super baldies. Mind you this is if he is a white faced bull. I think to many people shy away from composite bulls because theres no accurate way to judge epds and what your getting in turn regarding BW WW and YW. I think if you have to pick a direction and a goal before purchasing a bull. What are you wanting to achieve? Are you looking at taking calves to the sell barn? Or are you raising replacements?

Personally I would put them on beefmaster or brangus bulls if your wanting some ear for a generation or two and then come back with a hereford or angus

Latest posts