Alum Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
Looking at aluminum stock trailers. Have it narrowed down to Hillsboro Endura, Sooner, and Elite. I like the Endura, but there are very few reviews on them. What does everyone like and why?

I had a Platinum coach made to my specifications in Idaho about 12 years ago. I still love it!! Very well made and handles wonderful. Back then, it was no more expensive for them to make and deliver it to CA as it was to buy anything else on the market. I highly recommend them.

Hillsboro hands down. We have a Hillsboro stock and a Hillsboro cargo trailer. The cargo trailer has over a million miles and still hold up better then our Elite with a 10th of the miles on it. It has out lasted Two dodge diesels and a dmax with 380,000 miles on it and still going.

SIMP221":ivfqckuv said:
Featherlite
I have seen some bad things happen with Featherlite. Including the back door falling off of one going down the road with a load of cattle in it. Over rated IMHO.

I've always heard that riveted aluminum trailers are better than welded trailers, especially if subjected to a lot of off-road use. Wilson is the only riveted trailer that comes to mind. Comes with a higher price tag to match. :p

That said, neighbors have an Exiss (sp?) and must like them enough to have 2 of them now. Not sure, but the first one was a 24' and the new one is 30' (triple axle)

Sorry, I'm not much help :p :p :p

John my Platinum Coach is riveted and welded both. One of the best made trailers for the price that I have seen. But I am not familiar with the Endura to compare.

John SD":3hmytl4v said:
I've always heard that riveted aluminum trailers are better than welded trailers, especially if subjected to a lot of off-road use. Wilson is the only riveted trailer that comes to mind. Comes with a higher price tag to match. :p

That said, neighbors have an Exiss (sp?) and must like them enough to have 2 of them now. Not sure, but the first one was a 24' and the new one is 30' (triple axle)

I have an Exiss myself I've been happy with it. I might be wrong but I think Exiss & Featherlite are both owned by Universal. Don't sure if they are built the same though. B&G

I am in the market for a new trailer, as well. Have narrowed it down to Eby and Barrett. Think the Eby is all welded and the Barrett is welded and riveted. Anyone have any experience or an opinion on either brand?

Just my own opinion but to me its hard the beat the back gate latch on the Hillsboro's. Seems like on the others the lever latch is always on the way of a gate or a gate in the way of it when you get the herd up in the trailer and need to close the gate. The Hillsboro we have just shove the gate closed and it latches it self. But we have looked at Wilson's before and they look nice.

John SD":38euzd6d said:

Doesn't matter welded or riveted, Alum will crack if you hit hard enough.
Have to remember the metal will break before the weld will bust, or before the rivet shears.

Spend the money. Get a Wilson and you won't ever have to buy another trailer again unless you get it into a wreck. Those are the best trailers out there.

The problem isn't that the welds are weak, it's that the metal around them loses its temper during the welding process, which is why my friend says rivets only without welds. Take a hint from airplanes, they are all riveted only, no welds for that exact reason. That being said, yes, aluminum does fatigue and will eventually crack, but a lot of that also depends on the alloy used. I have a steel trailer, it does what I need it to

Latest posts