Altitude / Brisket Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

CravinGrazin

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback.... We're looking at buying a place as a stocker outfit. Seen plenty of possibilities and found a couple that are right at 6,000 feet. We were hoping to bring lighter calves from CA but are concerned about the change in elevation. From what I've read it sounds like brisket disease hits older, heavier (as in closer to finish) cattle, but the elevation still worries me. Anybody got any experience with that height on stockers, especially coming from quite a bit lower elevations? We're primarily going to be a custom outfit so we could make sure the cattle come from higher elevation areas if needed. Also going to be checking with some neighbors and local vets but would appreciate any ideas.

I don't have an answer for you on brisket disease but I can tell you that there are not many calves left to ship from any ranch under 1,500 foot elevation in my area. By mid june I expect that the only quality calves left will be from around 4,000 feet and up. Expect to pay through the nose to get them regardless of their abilities at altitude.

CravinGrazin":1filso35 said:
Looking for some feedback.... We're looking at buying a place as a stocker outfit. Seen plenty of possibilities and found a couple that are right at 6,000 feet. We were hoping to bring lighter calves from CA but are concerned about the change in elevation. From what I've read it sounds like brisket disease hits older, heavier (as in closer to finish) cattle, but the elevation still worries me. Anybody got any experience with that height on stockers, especially coming from quite a bit lower elevations? We're primarily going to be a custom outfit so we could make sure the cattle come from higher elevation areas if needed. Also going to be checking with some neighbors and local vets but would appreciate any ideas.

Go to your PM box. I will put a phone number there for you to call me. I live at 7000ft and run as high as 9000ft some years.

I live at 7300ft and cattle go to 12000ft for 5 weeks in July. Try and buy those calves from higher elevations. I wouldn't bring those calves from lower elevations. You'll lose plenty. It won't mat ter if they are heavier or younger. If they are prone to brisket they'll be dead no matter the weight or age. Try and buy calves sired by pap tested bulls, bulls that are tested at altitude and by a vet that knows whats he's doing. That is very important. I've seen vets get pap scores that are laughable. They don't get into the chamber of the heart or don't get level with the heart in the chute. Good luck. Hope you don't see a wreck, it is nasty stuff if your not careful.

We run yearlings in Wyoming at up to 9,500 feet. Brisket can be an issue. Most years, the majority of our cattle were purchased in Nevada & Oregon as calves and wintered in California and then summered in Wyoming.
We do fill out with cattle purchased in California. We have in the past, also sent Mexicans to similar elevations both there and Colorado. When we did so, we experienced no more frequency of brisket in Mexicans than the EnglishX calves.
I received your PM and will drop you a line in the next few days.

Sorry to have disappeared.... Been travelling and mostly out of cell range. Thanks for the advice. Decided, thanks to the replies and a good call with Vic, to just avoid the problem. It's something really on my mind since I have no experience with it. We've been looking it at places this week and have found some lower altitude alternatives that have potential, places that we can step right into. Still be interested to hear from you js123!

Course if anyone's found the perfect ranch, great water, great grass, less wind than Laramie, no winter, but not too hot....I'm open to suggestions! We'll keep you posted. Looking to do something I did on a smaller scale a decade ago. We're planning to mob graze yearlings on irrigated ground, but that's a topic for a new thread!

Latest posts