alternative to cable clamps

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Reaction score
workin in the woods you might not have the wrenchs or another cable clamp with you.
For a loop thats near impossible to pull out split the strands.
Since every cable I've come across comes with a odd amount of strands 5 or 7 I split with the core strand in the smaller part.
Say a seven strand cable the core strand would be with the 3 strand part.
Unwind about 18" then loop back togather and rebraid.
I try to leave a 6" pigtail that you can clamp if you want but I have never pulled one apart. Handy item to have in the truck for pulling whatever. And you can braid a chain hook into one if needed.
If anyone wants visuals I'll post pictures.

How about a picture. Don't really understand what you are making. It sounds like a cable to pull with.

It sort of sounds like you are describing what we called a "farmers eye" when I was working in the woods. They hold reasonably well and if you understand how to throw them on the end of a piece of line they are quick.
A person can also just splice an eye in the cable. A marlin spike works best but a good size screw driver will work. Make a loop the size you want the eye to be. Leave about a foot of cable behond the loop. Unwind one strand back to the loop. Push your screw driver under two strands where you want the splice to start. Pull that unwond strand throuhg next to the screw driver. Pull it tight. Pull the screw driver out. Go up one strand and stick it back under two strands. Unwind the next strand up on the end of your line. and do like you did with the first one. Once you have all the strands tucked one go back the the first one. Go over one and under two with all of the strands. This is a double tuck splice. It will hold all you are going to pull with half inch cable or smaller.
Dave

Dave":2lv0stak said:
It sort of sounds like you are describing what we called a "farmers eye" when I was working in the woods. They hold reasonably well and if you understand how to throw them on the end of a piece of line they are quick.
A person can also just splice an eye in the cable. A marlin spike works best but a good size screw driver will work. Make a loop the size you want the eye to be. Leave about a foot of cable behond the loop. Unwind one strand back to the loop. Push your screw driver under two strands where you want the splice to start. Pull that unwond strand throuhg next to the screw driver. Pull it tight. Pull the screw driver out. Go up one strand and stick it back under two strands. Unwind the next strand up on the end of your line. and do like you did with the first one. Once you have all the strands tucked one go back the the first one. Go over one and under two with all of the strands. This is a double tuck splice. It will hold all you are going to pull with half inch cable or smaller.
Dave

Must have been a Bosunsmate

dun

No, I was a chaser, slinger, and a hooker. Oh, and I pimped for the hooker some. If you happen to be a PNW logger you know exactly what I am talking about and if not you don't have a clue. But it was fun telling people that I was a hooker. You should see the looks on people faces when a big guy says I am a hooker.
Dave

This is 1/8 7 strand on the left and 3/8 5 strand on the right.
This just supports the weight of the gate so no pigtail.
For pulling logs and stuff I leave a 6"-8" pigtail.
Haven't ever pulled the eye out but have broke a cable or two.
cableends.jpg

DJ thanks for the photo -
now I understand the purpose but does someone have a picture of the braided part - can't seem to get my head around that :roll: brain probably got cooked today in the 105 temps

mdmdogs3":akmee6cg said:
DJ thanks for the photo -
now I understand the purpose but does someone have a picture of the braided part - can't seem to get my head around that :roll: brain probably got cooked today in the 105 temps

unwrap the cable.this is 7 strand. leave the core strand in the smaller group. in this case it is in the group of 3.
unbraidthecable.jpg

fold back over to the size eye you want and rewrap past the
to cable to start your pigtail
starttheloop.jpg

startthepigtail.jpg

Now braid/twist the loose piece back till they come togather at the bottom of the loop
gettingendstogather.jpg

this is the finished look. i'll be the first to admit this is a sloppy job. the wraps/twist could be done tighter.
finishedcable.jpg

dj,

can you post a picture that represents the loop between the next to the last picture and the finished product?

More pecisely - how do you secure the loop?

bump
I edited and added the pic jw
sorry it took so long

Latest posts