All's well that ends well.

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I told the story of my 1st calf of the season in another thread, how the heifer jumped out of my calving paddock and went over two fences to calve down by the creek in a very rough and inaccessible area about a week ago. I found the heifer with her calf on the southern end of the creek the first two days but since then have only found the heifer and could not find the calf. She seemed to have moved up to a flat area on the northern end of the creek yesterday morning but again no sign of the calf when I walked around the area, This morning I had to bring the cows up to the yards and this heifer was with them but no calf. After lunch today I went up the back, found the cow herd and this heifer was with them but no calf, she seemed to have given up on the calf. I went back down to the creek through a gate to where I saw her yesterday. I let the dogs off the back of the UTV as there were no cows around for them to harass. I noticed they were looking at a spot amongst the tall grasses, there was definitely no calf there and was about to drive on but had 2nd thoughts and decided to investigate, there was a hole about 1/2 metre diam and looking up at me was S1 the calf. If it wasn't for the big white tag I don't think I would have seen him. My wife helped me and I got a rope around his neck and got him out, tied him in the back of the UTV and took him up to the cow herd and his mother was pleased to see him and followed us up to the yards to be reunited. I think he was down there for about 48 hrs but was still very strong.
There has been a lot of tin mining along the creek on my place back in the late 1800's and early 1900's, mostly panning alluvial tin. Apparently the Chinese used to do a bit of tunneling chasing the dirt they were after to wash and I think this is one of those tunnels that just recently subsided with the rain we have had. I had previously cleared this land and filled in and levelled it with my excavator and plowed and planted grass but no sign of this tunnel. Anyhow "All's well that ends well". He is a nice little calf by Clunie Range Plantation, a Baldridge Beast Mode son.P1020416.JPGP1020418.JPGP1020413.JPG

Lucky u found him.
I had a first calf heifer that had a calf behind my grandpas tank and there was a deep washout behind it.
I rained out at work and happened to be there watching her. The calf eased over to the washout and fell in I got him out but if u wouldn't have been there he would have surely died.

Glad you found him. Years ago when my parents ran feeder steers, they counted them every evening and they came up one short. Wasn't long until a neighbor walking her dog noticed the dog interested in a certain spot. The 500 lb steer had fell in big sinkhole.

I was unbelievably lucky to find him, such a difficult paddock to cover to find anything so small. The creek runs down through very rough granite and then rise straight up the western side to a rocky ridge. You could walk past something 5 metres away and not see it. To find him in the small bit of open country was unexpected, thankfull to the dogs. More "arse than class" on my behalf.

Ken