Ali calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Hey, not sure if this is allowed, but I'd posted an ad on Steerplanet. I wondered if you guys would check it out and tell me what you think of the calves. I'm not a show guy (as my ad expains), but I thought they looked pretty nice. I've been around the board and know sometimes it's a tough crowd, but I'd like to know if they're viable show candidates.

If this is not allowed, let me know and I'll delete.

Here's the link:
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=5388.0

Thanks

Lazy I guess :lol: Additional information, they are late Jan/early Feb calves. The Ali calves are all off heifers. I've been feeding them about half a 5 gallon bucket of rice bran a day to gentle them up. They let us brush them now while eating. Here they are. Thanks for any comments.

Hereford cow/Maine bull Ice Chest
h3side.jpg

h3rear.jpg

Ali Heifer #1
h1sidea.jpg

h1side.jpg

h1rear.jpg

Ali Heifer #2
h2sidea.jpg

h2side.jpg

h2rear.jpg

Ali Bull
B1side.jpg

b1reara.jpg

What ever you do.... dont give them away. I can not be sure but they look pretty good (as far as the heifers go). last fall, I saw Ali heifers going anywhere from 1200-1800. I'm not talking about show stoppers either. These were destined to be steer mommas. Your bull calf may be ok but those heifers have a lot of dimension and good base witdh all in a pretty neat package.

Thanks Avalon. The bull calf was really looking great until about 1 1/2 months ago. I believe his momma's milk has dropped off. He developed a little gut, which I believe may have come from his increased dependance on the grass. I'm sure they'd look tons better w/ feed, but this show stuff is not my area. Heck this is our 1st calf crop! I can get the rice bran cheap through a buddy of mine, but I'm not feeding them enough of that to make much of a difference. I need to get them weaned! I was just wanting a calving ease bull - who knew Ali would be dead now? The guy that did the AI said I should try to offer them to show folks, that's the reason I posted them on the Steerplanet board.

I don't see anything special about them. They do appear to lack thickness and muscle.

Sorry but I'm not impressed.

Jovid, thanks for the comments. I see thicker cattle and wonder how much feed it took to get there? Maybe not much, I really don't know. As far as muscle, they are heifers and are only 6 months... Not making excuses (I guess I am :D ). I guess the only way to find out would be to pour the high $$ feed to them and see, but that's not in my plan. Thanks again for the comments..

Arkieman":102rasfa said:
Jovid, thanks for the comments. I see thicker cattle and wonder how much feed it took to get there? Maybe not much, I really don't know. As far as muscle, they are heifers and are only 6 months... Not making excuses (I guess I am :D ). I guess the only way to find out would be to pour the high $$ feed to them and see, but that's not in my plan. Thanks again for the comments..

Thickness and muscle is not achieved through feeding. It is in the genetics. The feed only helps them grow.

Jovid, I do not know the whole story, but ALI calves sell. Some times it makes no since but the pedigree is hot in the club calf market. and that makes cents. Arkieman make sure you let us know what you get for them. I bet it can be well over commercial prices.

I think their ok, but I don't think they would be real great show heifers.I think your best bet would be to sell them as bred heifers,but that might not fit your plans?

I think the second ali heifer would make the best cow of the bunch.jmo

How much are you thinking?

Have you wormed them yet, they look like they are going through the awkward stage now. They look green right now and the heat is probably not helping, I bet in 2 to 3 months they look allot different. I have an Ali heifer I can't wait to see when she is about 1 year old.

Keep us posted

Jovid":2fnsm81h said:
Arkieman":2fnsm81h said:

Thickness and muscle is not achieved through feeding. It is in the genetics. The feed only helps them grow.

Thank you Jovid!

These calves are VERY green. As far as show prospects, I don't think I would go there with them. The 2 heifers could make decent cows in the future. And honestly at my farm, that bull calf would have parted ways with his testicles......

I would pour some feed on the heifers and probably ship the bull.

Thanks again for the comments. VCC I hear what you're saying. The guy that did the AI had used Ali before and he said these calves will start out looking like ****, but they will grow out great. With Ali, they're bred for the showring, and they're young and gentle and not bad (unless you ask Jovid :D). I guess that's what seperates the men from the boys. If you know what you're looking at and have a proven formula to take them to the next level, you can make some bucks. I don't. I was thinking if I could get $800 or so for them they may be competitive at some shows. If I can't get that I'll just keep them til the fall and sell - I've got plenty of pasture. I thought about keeping (still may) but I wonder if they have too much hair for these Arkansas summers. They've weathered it pretty well so far.

I assume by your statement you are implying that I don't know what a good calf looks like. I don't claim to be any kind of expert or a judge by any means. I do know what thickness and muscle look like on cattle. These calves are just average black calves, fine boned, not very thick and definitely lacking muscle.

At this point in their life you should definitely be able to see if they have any show potential. To me they are just average calves that might win a class at a county fair. They would probably make fair commercial cows.

What people sometimes forget is that a calf is the combination of both the sire (in this case the so called famous Ali and the dam. When you breed a cow to a bull there is no guarantee that the bull will pass his good traits on to the calf. You can cross the same bull and cow for several years and never have to calves that are identical.

Jovid - I think you misunderstood.. When I referenced you I attached a :D . It doesn't bother me if nobody is interested. As stated before, I definitely don't know the show game and was looking for some opinions. I got yours and as I said before I appreciate it. Sometimes it's difficult to convey what you mean with only keys...

Latest posts