Alfalfa planting ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Tin Man

Reaction score
I am planting about 5 acers of alfalfa in our pasture to mow for hay. I will be cutting the 1st cutting only then turning cattle in on it. what is the best way to make sure it makes it to the next year?

Tin Man":h48moz9b said:
I am planting about 5 acers of alfalfa in our pasture to mow for hay. I will be cutting the 1st cutting only then turning cattle in on it. what is the best way to make sure it makes it to the next year?
Keep cattle off of it.

I think it would be better to bale your alfalfa then feed hay if grass is short.
Cows can ruin alfalfa by grazing it. They will eat the plant down to the ground and tromp all over it. Alfalfa will not last long under those conditions

Tin Man":f3lgjtd8 said:
ok, thanks. but if I had to put them in there would it make it to the next?
Probably. I wouldn't chance it though. Letting them graze will likely remove valuable energy stores, especially later in the growing season. You also run the risk of the crowns being damaged which will thin the stand out in a hurry. You would have a lot of money stuck in to establish a stand and then to risk losing it because you wouldn't fence it off seems foolish.

Latest posts