alfalfa planting

Help Support CattleToday:

DINGRAM

Reaction score
Could anybody give me tips on planting alfalfa. What equipment to plant with to get the best growth.

Thanks

A grass seeder attachment on a grain drill is the standard method. Spinning the seed in is less reliable. Specialized grass seeders are not needed for alfalfa since it is pretty vigorous.

1. Plow and/or disc field to desired level
2. Cultipack with shovels down to create seedbed
3. Plant cover crop (wheat, rye, etc) with grain drill while seeding alfalfa.

This is what has worked for us in the past. Your soil conditions may dictate further or less action.

El_Putzo":1ydlho9g said:
1. Plow and/or disc field to desired level
2. Cultipack with shovels down to create seedbed
3. Plant cover crop (wheat, rye, etc) with grain drill while seeding alfalfa.

This is what has worked for us in the past. Your soil conditions may dictate further or less action.

Why plant a cover crop? Wouldn't that cover crop compete with the alfalfa for moisture and nutrients possibly causing the alfalfa to not germinate/grow?

msscamp":o6hmdntb said:
Why plant a cover crop? Wouldn't that cover crop compete with the alfalfa for moisture and nutrients possibly causing the alfalfa to not germinate/grow?

The term "cover crop" is kind of a misnomer. It would be better referred to as a nurse or companion crop. Alfalfa is rather slow to germinate and each plant is fairly widely spaced. By planting a nurse/companion crop is to decrease the weed infestation so that the alfalfa can gerinate better. Once the alfalfa has gotten a decent start the nurse/companion crop is mowed off and the alfalfa takes over. There is still weed competition but not as severe.
And if oats are planted with alfalfa, that first cutting is the best horse hay I've seen for lactating mares.

dun

dun":pmpjd4gz said:
msscamp":pmpjd4gz said:

The term "cover crop" is kind of a misnomer. It would be better referred to as a nurse or companion crop. Alfalfa is rather slow to germinate and each plant is fairly widely spaced. By planting a nurse/companion crop is to decrease the weed infestation so that the alfalfa can gerinate better. Once the alfalfa has gotten a decent start the nurse/companion crop is mowed off and the alfalfa takes over. There is still weed competition but not as severe.
And if oats are planted with alfalfa, that first cutting is the best horse hay I've seen for lactating mares.

dun

Ok, I see. Thanks!

I have the best results putting seed and oats in the mix mill let it mix up good , sow with press drill 1 bushel per acre 10-12 lbs of alfalfa, and harrow after. cut it for green feed in the fall , when the oats just starts to get milk in it , cattle prefer it over alfalfa.

I usually seed oats as a nurse crop 1 bushel an acre. pack with a landroller.. blow on 8-10 lbs alfalfa with a valmar, harrow and then pack again with the landroller.Spray

Then take the oats for greenfeed.

Howdy,

A lot will depend on where you are, what type of soil, what was in the field prior to this, was the soil worked or not.

No-till alfalfa into properly killed off field.

Worked field, brillion seeder, cultipacker

note: get your soil samples, and get the liming down at least 4 months prior to seeding. PH helps with proper germination and vigor of alfalfa.