Alfalfa Pasture Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I have an alfalfa field that I will be using for a pasture this winter but I've heard that we need a good killing frost. I've asked on here before and got 1 reply that it needs to sit for 2+ weeks after that frost, but there was no other mention like that. So, before I go and dump the cattle out there, how long do I have to wait to dump the cows out there? It's been below freezing every night for about a week now, and we're slated to stay at or below freezing 24hrs/day for the next week. So my question is, how long do I wait before they go out there?

Thanks
Arthur

I graze my alfalfa fields every fall. I think the waiting 2 weeks is addressing potential problems with bloating not for the health of the plant. By waiting the plant usually dries up some.

What I do is feed them some very good hay in the morning until they are full and then turn them out later in the afternoon.

Bestoutwest":2qnwymla said:
I have an alfalfa field that I will be using for a pasture this winter but I've heard that we need a good killing frost. I've asked on here before and got 1 reply that it needs to sit for 2+ weeks after that frost, but there was no other mention like that. So, before I go and dump the cattle out there, how long do I have to wait to dump the cows out there? It's been below freezing every night for about a week now, and we're slated to stay at or below freezing 24hrs/day for the next week. So my question is, how long do I wait before they go out there?

Thanks
Arthur

I graze alfalfa up here from spring turn out til freeze up. But I am not going to offer advice to someone from Idaho when I am in the upper great lakes.

I believe Jim Gerrish re-located from MO to Idaho and helps manage a cowherd there. I think they graze irrigated pivots in fall/winter. Getting his articles from SGF might help you a lot. Not sure if he answers email questions but worth a shot.

I just do not understand why you would have to wait at all let alone two weeks???

I don't have alfalfa but I do have clover. It is recommended to put bloat blocks in with them prior to them being turned out on legumes. I would say a week or so, but I think the directions are printed on the blocks. I just keep bloat blocks out year round under cover.

We graze a hay field/ crop field in the fall. Usually wait a few days after the first hard freeze before turning out on the alfalfa. We wait until late in the afternoon when all frost is off of the plant and start putting out bloat blocks a day or to before and fillem up on hay right before turnout.

I graze my alfalfa fields in the fall depending on when I took my last cutting. I do what bmoore does and wait for a few (2-3) days after a good killing frost before I turn them out on it. The reason you are supposed to wait is because the frost hits the plant it busts open the cells in the alfalfa plant and when that happens the plant releases a large amount of proteins, which increases the risk for bloat. So filling them up on hay or using the bloat blocks is a good idea.

Cibster":2v2to63d said:
I graze my alfalfa fields in the fall depending on when I took my last cutting. I do what bmoore does and wait for a few (2-3) days after a good killing frost before I turn them out on it. The reason you are supposed to wait is because the frost hits the plant it busts open the cells in the alfalfa plant and when that happens the plant releases a large amount of proteins, which increases the risk for bloat. So filling them up on hay or using the bloat blocks is a good idea.

Very good to know. Thanks for all the replies. I'll get a bloat block before I kick them out.

Thanks everyone!

Also not sure how much Alfalfa you have but your nitrates are going to jump up as well which can cause nitrate poisioning. We have approx. 40% alfalfa pasture and we spoke to an nutritionist for cattle (we had a crazy dump of snow in September about a foot! (we live in Alberta)) and she said once you have that kill frost the nitrates and sugars (re bloat) will rise to the top. It takes 10-14 days for those nitrates to go back into the ground. We had originally called our vet and asked and he said 3 days but at that time your nitrates and sugars could be at the peak. We waited 10 days, turned them back in and they were fine. We weren't willing to take the risk. Its the same thing for Alfalfa when you are cutting it for hay - if you have had a killer frost or hail - anything that damages the plant you either have to cut it within 24 hours or wait the 10 days...

We also use Alfasure when they are in that pasture -its expensive but man does that stuff work amazing. Its funny when they come up for water, after you can just hear them all burping.

Here's a curveball. It's going to be above 50 and stay above freezing for a few days here. Just turned the out today. Is that a problem?

Edit: I decided to pull them off to be safe. This weather is too wacky and there is still some green to the plants. I got them out there today for the afternoon but I just don't want to risk it. They were po'd about coming back in. That's for sure.

Latest posts