Alfalfa Pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

HobbyFarm

Reaction score
?? about alfalfa pellets, my feed guy said that it really isn't necessary - that there isn't enough bang for the buck on them.

For those who feed - what is your benefit, why do you?

For those who don't - is there a reason that you don't?

TIA

Kelly

HobbyFarm":3haa5447 said:
?? about alfalfa pellets, my feed guy said that it really isn't necessary - that there isn't enough bang for the buck on them.

TIA

Kelly

I'm assuming you're talking about feeding alfalfa pellets to cattle? We didn't because we raise alfalfa hay, and it would have been a waste of money. I'm not sure what area you're in, but I can't help but think that feeding alfalfa hay would be pencil out better than feeding alfalfa pellets. I could be wrong on that, though. Factor in the fact that most animals don't need a diet of straight alfalfa, and I'm thinking that makes it even more cost prohibitive. Just my thoughts.

I have friend with a small feed and fert. store and sometimes I go take care of the place if he has to be gone.Anyway I can't think of one time I ever sold alfalfa cubes or pellets for cow feed,just horse folks.My wife has bought them for her horses :???: and I steal a few sometimes if I need to get some cows up to the pens.I would think either baled alfalfa of 20% cake would be a much cheaper source of protien.

HobbyFarm":1om7cu43 said:

TIA

Kelly

Hobby...stop and think a minute..there is a reason that alfalfa is in a pellet and not in a bale. Low quality, late cutting, rained on, all of the above????? If you want to feed alfalfa buy it in the bale. You'll probably get 70 lbs. for the price of a 50 lb. bag of pellets and it will be much higher quality.

Alfalfa pellets ain't even cost effective.Durin tha times what I provide extra protein ta my girls (post-calvin ta breedback) I do it with QLF Super40. A 5 gallon bucket goes ALOT farther than a bag a those pellets. Cheaper, too.

We feed them to the goats. Goats waste a lot of hay, so they are cost effective. They are easier to feed, haul, quality is consistent, not a lot of moisture. If you just compare pound to pound, they don't look very promising. But once you factor in waste, transportation and feed value, they come out on top. Haven't fed them to the cows. We use hay rings, not much waste.

6M Ranch":alqwxreu said:
We feed them to the goats. Goats waste a lot of hay,

I don;lt understand this............. With proper feeders we never had a problem with waste. They wouldn;t eat the real stemmy stuff but once a week we would take it out and feed it to the cows.

Latest posts