Alcohol

Help Support CattleToday:

If its banned I'll start making copper worms and selling them. i think i know where there's a couple right now. :lol: :lol:

curtis":4tewgq2e said:
If its banned I'll start making copper worms and selling them. i think i know where there's a couple right now. :lol: :lol:

And I would try and corner the market on 55 gallon barrels and mason jars.

upfrombottom":pcjbf0cx said:
curtis":pcjbf0cx said:

Kinda funny that us southern folk know all about the shine business. :lol: :lol:

john250":33tfrmet said:
Allison, I'm curious why you ask the question? Is there a prohibition movement bubbling in your area?
The USA will never try alcohol prohibition again. Prohibition caused more problems than it solved.
John - no prohibition movement here, liquor is just too socially entrenched and the industry too profitable. I must say I had my cynical glasses on when I posed the question.
Last week I had to rush a worker to the state hospital and hung around the emergency room until she had been attended to. It was overcrowded, liquor played a huge roll in the majority of incidents, perhaps as much as 80%. It was an eye opener and quite horrifying.
Then I went to a funeral yesterday. My neighbours young son (just matriculated) was killed instantly when a drunk driver skipped a red robot earlier on in the week, you can only imagine how devastated they are.
I do believe liquor is filthy stuff if not handled responsibly, but how do you teach that to society.

Nothing wrong with an ice cold beer or two, as long as you know who is boss ;-) .

Use to drink more than my share. Seems it makes arthritis flare up maybe? I cant hardly move if I drink more than about two beers anymore. Have been blaming it on arthritis anyway.

A couple of years ago a newspaper over in East Texas ran a special for about an entire week on "Bootlegging" in the county. It was amazing to read that in this day and time there is still huge money to be made in it.

TexasBred":nf29shzs said:
A couple of years ago a newspaper over in East Texas ran a special for about an entire week on "Bootlegging" in the county. It was amazing to read that in this day and time there is still huge money to be made in it.

It seems the old bootleggers have died off now. I never thought I would say this, but you cannot find shine in "Shine City" anymore. The old timers craving a sip are having to import it from Johnson County and it costs a lot of nickels. You're lucky if you can get a gallon for less than $100. There is an opportunity for someone there.

curtis":3jmes6go said:
upfrombottom":3jmes6go said:
curtis":3jmes6go said:

Kinda funny that us southern folk know all about the shine business. :lol: :lol:
heck up here in the hills I was probably 12 or 13 before I realized corn could be used for anything but making shine :cowboy:

I can still show you blackened circles on the hills that hardly anything grows on, that was where the shiners dumped their mash
they finally caught my great uncle when they went to his hog lot and found a bunch of drunk pigs and got to checking his feed barrels

backhoeboogie":29r5yplo said:
TexasBred":29r5yplo said:

It seems the old bootleggers have died off now. I never thought I would say this, but you cannot find shine in "Shine City" anymore. The old timers craving a sip are having to import it from Johnson County and it costs a lot of nickels. You're lucky if you can get a gallon for less than $100. There is an opportunity for someone there.
These guys weren't making homebrew. Just buying beer, liquor and wine and selling it in dry areas and to folks who were underage.

JHH":1ogvvyd6 said:
Use to drink more than my share. Seems it makes arthritis flare up maybe? I cant hardly move if I drink more than about two beers anymore. Have been blaming it on arthritis anyway.

When I was a kid I remember my grandmother saying: "Rich folks have Arthritis, poor folks have Rheumatism, and the colored folks have the Misery." But in all cases "Shine" was the prescription of choice. I remember asking her which one she had, and with a big grin she said: "What do you think?".

alisonb":1tbttglz said:
curtis":1tbttglz said:
If its banned I'll start making copper worms and selling them.
I think I need a tutorial, what are you talking about???? :shock:

That's the distillation tube which sometimes is found next to the thumper box. Its one thing you need to hide really good if you are not using it.

When I was stationed at Ft.Gordon Ga. I used to run up to Newberry SC. and pick up about 3gal and bring back and sell to the troops. Got caught with it in downtown Agusta. To make a long story short MP's came and got me out of jail and took me back to the CO who handed me orders for Korea.

Cal

Calman":1vt5a2tu said:
When I was stationed at Ft.Gordon Ga. I used to run up to Newberry SC. and pick up about 3gal and bring back and sell to the troops. Got caught with it in downtown Agusta. To make a long story short MP's came and got me out of jail and took me back to the CO who handed me orders for Korea.

Cal

Just out of curiousity and I know odds are against this but it is a small world so I gotta ask, do the inititials LB or LBT ring a bell?

Jogeephus":b55cq4lw said:
Calman":b55cq4lw said:

Cal

Just out of curiousity and I know odds are against this but it is a small world so I gotta ask, do the inititials LB or LBT ring a bell?

I can't say as they do Jo.

Cal

Yep, ban alcohol and then Mexico can smuggle that in too, and make the wars down there with drug lords even worse. We can send more of our troops to fight that. Except we don't have any money.

Alot of people think the government should ban people from eating too many hamburgers.

The choices are to ban and police every bad habit, or let people suffer the consequences. I'll take the latter, as you can't get enough police to enforce bans, and they usually increase crime, which we all pay for. And by the way, there isn't any money for more police and bureaucracies.

We don't let people experience consequences. If you drink and drive there should be permanent license removal. If you drink and drive and kill someone, you get the death penalty. I bet behavior would improve pretty soon.

If people didn't have the government and others providing unlimited healthcare, they'd probably drink less and eat better and exercise more, etc, etc.

djinwa":1u2ih1n7 said:
If you drink and drive there should be permanent license removal. If you drink and drive and kill someone, you get the death penalty. I bet behavior would improve pretty soon.

How about if you drink and walk out in front of a car and get hit and a policeman sees it and arrests you for causing an accident and public drunkeness?

How about if you drink and walk out in front of a car and get hit and a policeman sees it and arrests you for causing an accident and public drunkeness?[/quote]

Then I'd say you have had a very bad day. :lol: :lol:

Cal

TexasBred":2jvl40f9 said:
backhoeboogie":2jvl40f9 said:
TexasBred":2jvl40f9 said:

These guys weren't making homebrew. Just buying beer, liquor and wine and selling it in dry areas and to folks who were underage.

TB, You have lived a sheltered life? I saw many stills when I was a kid. I used to put sqare bales in a barn that had three in the back of it. Used to see smoke coming from that place passing by on still mornings. They did not run hogs or have a smoke house :cowboy: You could get beer and wine there since the 70's.

The "Last of the Mohicans" that I was familiar with lived down towards Walnut Springs. He passed away about 6 years back. Step Father is still living and cannot find shine anywhere. His uncles were the infamous group out of Chalk Mountain way back in prohibition. The store bought version does not cut it for him. A half gallon last him for months and the doc says it is okay for him to have a sip now and then. It took me forever to find a source for this old man. None of his children (my age) can find it anywhere.

When I was a kid back in the Mo. ozarks I had one uncle who made moonshine and another uncle that would steal it from him. :)

Cal

Latest posts