Alabama folks, I got a ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Not many of yaw on here, so this may be a long shot. I've got a gooseneck load of steers, with a sprinkling of heifers to haul off. I'd like to take them down your way. I've got a few yards picked out. I obviously know nothing about them. I have checked the miles to them, and their weekly sales reports. If these yards have 1000 head runs, what percentage of the feeder calves will have some ear (25% or less Brahman), and how bad is the discount?
I can hit the following pretty easy from my house:
1000 head reports
Arab
Florence
Cullman
500 head reports
Decatur
Russellville

I take mine to Savannah, Tn usually. I have folks there (and me every other week) that write down the oddballs (with ear, things with chrome, horn, etc.) and how much they get docked every week compared to average. Best sellers here are black (of course), bwf, and chars the past few months. Are you dead set on going to Alabama? Seems like Savannah doesn't get hit as bad because of the proximity to the beefmaster breeders around here and the guys that cross with beefmaster bulls (including myself). I guess the marketability increases with supply oddly enough. I have some folks that are down in Alabama way every other week at least if you need info about them. It would be the northern parts of Alabama like Cullman, Russellville, and Florence. I'm about 45 mins from Florence and 30 mins from Savannah. Im fairly new to the boards but is there a way to pm on here? If so feel free and I'll help you out any way I can if you need something arranged or more info.
-OTR

I have sold at both Arab and Cullman and there is no dock in 25% or less and are either black or char X. I see quite a few Brangus go through Kilpatrick and Ft Payne which are farther North with no dock.

OffTheRails":2u8og6wl said:
I take mine to Savannah, Tn usually. I have folks there (and me every other week) that write down the oddballs (with ear, things with chrome, horn, etc.) and how much they get docked every week compared to average. Best sellers here are black (of course), bwf, and chars the past few months. Are you dead set on going to Alabama? Seems like Savannah doesn't get hit as bad because of the proximity to the beefmaster breeders around here and the guys that cross with beefmaster bulls (including myself). I guess the marketability increases with supply oddly enough. I have some folks that are down in Alabama way every other week at least if you need info about them. It would be the northern parts of Alabama like Cullman, Russellville, and Florence. I'm about 45 mins from Florence and 30 mins from Savannah. Im fairly new to the boards but is there a way to pm on here? If so feel free and I'll help you out any way I can if you need something arranged or more info.
-OTR

Naw, I'm not dead set on Alabama. I picked those yards, because they were on the north side of the state and/or their proximity to I 65.

If I lay the report from where I sell down beside of most reports from Alabama, my yards is 10-15 cents back. I don't take a big big hit for ear here (if I get in a graded pen). If I happen to not get in a graded pen, then I'm another 10-15 cents back. I can get 11-12,000 pounds on my trailer. 11,000 X .25 = $2,750. Worth a 3 hour drive.

MartinFarms":3e1egxle said:
I have sold at both Arab and Cullman and there is no dock in 25% or less and are either black or char X. I see quite a few Brangus go through Kilpatrick and Ft Payne which are farther North with no dock.

I'm not much of a world traveler, I didn't realize Ft Payne , and Kilpatrick where so close to the Tn state line. They would be options as well. Thanks.

Out of sheer curiosity, what percentage of the cattle selling in Savannah, and North Alabama are eared?

MartinFarms":3d5dwlpu said:
Depending on the day my guess would be 10%-15%. If your steers mainly black/char I would consider Athens Tn. pre condition sales.

I was hoping there would be more. I also wanted to bid on some heifers while I was there.

I'm with him about the day having a lot to do with it but I'd say that around 15% has some ear on it. I went to the Savannah sale last week and I would say 20% had ear on it. The week before when I went I probably only saw 10% or so. They do pretty good there as long as they don't have a terrible amount of sheath. Brangus type are some of the more common cows up this way it seems like to me. Man you missed a heck of a bargain on a few heifers a couple weeks ago up there. Six of the best heifers all day went through the ring about the time one of the order buyers spilled a drink. Old timer in the back was snickering all the way to the pay window about the deal he got while they were distracted haha.

Which yard of all the yards in all of North Alabama and the one Savannah yard, consistently has the largest runs? Maybe sheer volume will accomplish my goals on both ends.

They are all about the same 750-1000 head. I don't think you'd see a whole lot of difference honestly. You'd probably be just as well off to go to the closest one to you or go whichever day you can get down the easiest. All of the yards are within an hour or so of each other so prices are usually within 5.00 of each other.

You just about should have had them in Guthrie yesterday if you had some they could make a little package out of. I thought weaned steers we're plenty high for little bunches of 10 head or less. 6 weights bring 1.40 and 7 weights bring 1.33.

Ojp6":20nd3q5e said:
You just about should have had them in Guthrie yesterday if you had some they could make a little package out of. I thought weaned steers we're plenty high for little bunches of 10 head or less. 6 weights bring 1.40 and 7 weights bring 1.33.

I made this same run to Georgia last year, over the kids spring break. It cost about as much as a trip to Disney, and it's definitely more fun than riding space mountain. I call it a staycation. My wife refuses to participate. She don't know how to have fun I guess.

You ever run across about 10-15 top shelf heifers with a little ear?

I don't see too many, just one here and one there usually.
How are those baldy eared heifers that came from Hopkinsville doing that were a touch wild when you got them?

They had a couple Braford pairs in Guthrie yesterday. They were about the first ones I'd seen around here that were very good.

Ojp6":s3n8pdmi said:
I don't see too many, just one here and one there usually.
How are those baldy eared heifers that came from Hopkinsville doing that were a touch wild when you got them?

They had a couple Braford pairs in Guthrie yesterday. They were about the first ones I'd seen around here that were very good.

All have calved, made big bags, and have actually decent looking calves on them considering what I bred them to. All settled down but one. She just trimbles when you go buy her on a horse. No telling what she'd do behind a closed gate.

Bigfoot":vvziiqyw said:
Which yard of all the yards in all of North Alabama and the one Savannah yard, consistently has the largest runs? Maybe sheer volume will accomplish my goals on both ends.

Cullman usually has the largest runs in North Alabama. They do really well with cows and calves with ear on them. I know Brangus guys and Gert guys who take their calves down to Cullman from Huntsville area when Decatur and Pulaski Tn and Fayetteville Tn are much closer. Some even have the sale barn come and pick them up.

I usually take mine to Fayetteville, Tn on their graded sales and also they weigh when you drop off instead of like Decatur where they weigh when they are about to go in the ring. But if I have calves that show too much ear I will break them off the group and take to Decatur or Cullman. Also cull cows and bulls go to Decatur or Cullman.

u4411clb":3bg0u8qw said:
Bigfoot":3bg0u8qw said:

Cullman usually has the largest runs in North Alabama. They do really well with cows and calves with ear on them. I know Brangus guys and Gert guys who take their calves down to Cullman from Huntsville area when Decatur and Pulaski Tn and Fayetteville Tn are much closer. Some even have the sale barn come and pick them up.

I usually take mine to Fayetteville, Tn on their graded sales and also they weigh when you drop off instead of like Decatur where they weigh when they are about to go in the ring. But if I have calves that show too much ear I will break them off the group and take to Decatur or Cullman. Also cull cows and bulls go to Decatur or Cullman.

If I'm not mistaken Cullman is close to I 65. It'd be an easy shot from here.

We normally sell at Kilpatrick, small numbers though. Wednesdays are better for selling calves there. I would stay away from Arab as I have heard of some bad experiences with folks selling there. I have never sold at Cullman but it would get my vote as the best place for you.

I will call Cullman this Thursday. Web site shows the sale starts at 8:30. That's kinda early to load, and then go on a road trip.

Bigfoot":2027e22b said:
u4411clb":2027e22b said:
Bigfoot":2027e22b said:

If I'm not mistaken Cullman is close to I 65. It'd be an easy shot from here.

About 4 miles east of I-65.

Latest posts