Air under the skin?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Got a 2 week old calf from a guy last night. On a rear hip the skin is all puffed up and feels like air under the skin. He had given the calf a few shots of LA 200 and thought he had given it 2 shots in that same rear hip. He said he stuck a needle in it and got just air out and it went down some. It is still puffed up and calf seems to act like that leg is sore. Never seen anything like this, any ideas?

gas gangrene? I imagine there is tissue death under the hide. Seen it on older calves in the feedlot and they can last a long time. I never could get it turned around. Good luck saving that one. Let me know if you find something that works.

I'm not seeing a picture.

Why was the calf given LA200?

Were it anything but an antibiotic I'd wonder if the syringe/needle/liquid had been contaminated by bacteria and that was responsible for air/gas under the skin. Since it was LA200, that seems a little less likely unless his bottle of LA200 was useless.

Now, LA200 is not exactly tissue-friendly and just giving it in the hip muscle may be making him sore. Besides aspirin or banamine, I don't think there's anything else to do but give him time and see what happens. If it's just air it should go away on its own. If the swelling increases, calf acts more sore or lethargic, then I'd probably give him antibiotics again on the assumption that bacteria are somehow responsible. That's my best guess anyway.

milkmaid":i2zdd0np said:
I'm not seeing a picture.

Why was the calf given LA200?

Were it anything but an antibiotic I'd wonder if the syringe/needle/liquid had been contaminated by bacteria and that was responsible for air/gas under the skin. Since it was LA200, that seems a little less likely unless his bottle of LA200 was useless.

Now, LA200 is not exactly tissue-friendly and just giving it in the hip muscle may be making him sore. Besides aspirin or banamine, I don't think there's anything else to do but give him time and see what happens. If it's just air it should go away on its own. If the swelling increases, calf acts more sore or lethargic, then I'd probably give him antibiotics again on the assumption that bacteria are somehow responsible. That's my best guess anyway.
Not sure why he gave it LA 200 in the first place. This guy seems to let his calves go.

Cow prolapsed and he said she was not going it much milk, he had tubed it quite a bit and let it go for the last week on the cow by itself. It is 3 weeks old now and it was pretty dehydrated when we got it Saturday. It took a bottle a little when we first got it but quit so we have to drench him. He started scouring, so we have kept him hydrated, gave boluses, he had Nuflor and I have followed it up with 2 rounds of penicillin. I talked to the vet about it and he wants to see if I can drain it any and suggested I don't spend much on him. :roll:

Swelling seems to be done in the joint also, he mentioned the dirty needle also.

calfhip.jpg

See if you can find a soft spot in that swelling and stick a needle into it with a syringe. See what type of fluid you can get out. It's possible that's a joint infection, not a usual place for it to be but it's still possible.

milkmaid":25d4gamm said:
See if you can find a soft spot in that swelling and stick a needle into it with a syringe. See what type of fluid you can get out. It's possible that's a joint infection, not a usual place for it to be but it's still possible.
First, thanks for your input.

I tried 2 different spots, first got nothing. 2nd got a little air/gas out then a little bit of what looked like bloody water, bright red. Then got a little bit of amber colored looking fluid. Overall probably not over a spoonful. It feels pretty hard and he really jumps around when trying to stick it.

How much aspirin woudl you give? I gave 1 or 2 for a few days then stopped. Started him back on 1 tonight and we are using adult aspirin. Would you keep him on a antibiodic? I have gave hime 2 doses of the long acting penicillin.

That doesn't really sound infected. Maybe just an injury; he could have been stepped on and it's bruised pretty good. I'd keep him on long-acting penicillin for another week to prevent secondary infections, aspirin or banamine for a few days for pain, and just see how he does. Penicillin is cheap and so is aspirin, won't be out much if it doesn't work. My guess is he just needs time to heal though.

milkmaid":1tfnjrc8 said:
That doesn't really sound infected. Maybe just an injury; he could have been stepped on and it's bruised pretty good. I'd keep him on long-acting penicillin for another week to prevent secondary infections, aspirin or banamine for a few days for pain, and just see how he does. Penicillin is cheap and so is aspirin, won't be out much if it doesn't work. My guess is he just needs time to heal though.
Thanks, he did act more energetic this morning. I moved him last night to a pen with a small shed so he can get more exercise. He did at least nurse on his own for 3/4 bottle.

the amber colored fluid u let out was probably the LA200 where it hadnt absorbed yet. LA200 is Amber in color and causes a tissue reaction of mostly swelling in a percentage of animals . though ive never had swelling this size before personally i have seen it before in other cattle.

milkmaid":hkn1i84z said:
How's the calf doing?
He acts more like a calf, but the swelling got worse a couple days ago. Drained some blood, pus and air out of it. Some snotty looking drainage cam out of it too. I started the penicillin back. I don't know what else to try.

tom4018":1vh5qywh said:
milkmaid":1vh5qywh said:
How's the calf doing?
He acts more like a calf, but the swelling got worse a couple days ago. Drained some blood, pus and air out of it. Some snotty looking drainage cam out of it too. I started the penicillin back. I don't know what else to try.

I've seen something like this before in a heifer calf, calf's immune system is not fighting off the infection, vet recommended double dose of penicillin twice a day for 7 days. Looked like it was all cleared up by the forth day, continued through till the 7 days were up as per vets recommendations. That took care of it. Sounded drastic to me, vet said calf was probably going to die eventually from the infection, so lets try to knock it out of her.

Besides the other comments, I'm curious why anyone would give an injection in the hip and not in the neck as it should be done.

dun":2hzf832y said:
Besides the other comments, I'm curious why anyone would give an injection in the hip and not in the neck as it should be done.
If you seen this guy's cows you would wonder why he has them.

On the other hand I see one of the vets we use give them in the hip a lot.

tom4018":10lhho0l said:
dun":10lhho0l said:
If you seen this guy's cows you would wonder why he has them.

On the other hand I see one of the vets we use give them in the hip a lot.
You might want to get the vet hooked up with the BQA folks

tom4018":3isyolel said:
milkmaid":3isyolel said:
How's the calf doing?
time too move up too a stronger antibiotic ?

tom4018":1xl7nh2d said:
milkmaid":1xl7nh2d said:
How's the calf doing?
Well last night his hip was squirting out a nasty looking pus. Swelling was down a lot this morning and seemed ok. When the wife fed hinm tonight he was not as energetic as he has been, laying around a lot.
He has had penicillin, Noromyicin 300 and nuflor. Thats the strongest stuff we got on hand.
The way he act tonight I wonder if he will make it thru the night. If he does I will see what a different vet thinks. The first vet thought he got a infection from the shots the guy gave and offered little hope for him.

Latest posts