Ain't grandma's but .......

Help Support CattleToday:

I make it a couple times a month in the winter/colder months. Makes a good substitute for a meal when I am tired.... Mine is more of a custard bread pudding... I add raisins sometimes to mine; and sometimes I have used lemon extract instead of vanilla just for a change. I sure don't cube up my bread all nice and pretty. I freeze the crusts and any bread that is going to go stale since I am not a big bread eater... mostly sandwiches... so often will freeze the last 2-4 slices plus the crusts if It is getting old... rather than have it get moldy.Then when I am ready I just pull pkgs out of the freezer and make it on a cold or wet day when the oven will warm up the kitchen...
Love bread pudding.

Can I have the recipe for the Bread Pudding? I like the custard variety too. And that is a great idea about saving the bread crusts - no one here eats them but they go through bread about a loaf a day. Hate throwing them away - I don't like waste and this would be a great way to use them up. Also yummy! :giggle:

I make a noodle custard (Kugel) from a recipe that a Jewish friend gave me. Love it! If I am ever at a restaurant where they have bread pudding I always have some. Great winter desert for a family too - filling and tasty. Probably something good to make for family potlucks too.

As soon as I find the cookbook that the recipe is in... one more thing that I have no idea where it is with the move to the new house....
Yeah, wrap the bread crusts up in the wrapper, tuck into the freezer... I will pull out a pile of them and use them every so often.... got too many, just stick some back in til the next time. I just tear them up into chunks... not worried about the size being even...

Can I have the recipe for the Bread Pudding? I like the custard variety too. And that is a great idea about saving the bread crusts - no one here eats them but they go through bread about a loaf a day. Hate throwing them away - I don't like waste and this would be a great way to use them up. Also yummy! :giggle:

I make a noodle custard (Kugel) from a recipe that a Jewish friend gave me. Love it! If I am ever at a restaurant where they have bread pudding I always have some. Great winter desert for a family too - filling and tasty. Probably something good to make for family potlucks too.

I never measure I go by taste and memory.. however this is pretty much same way I make it.

My grandparents generation were the ones that had to provide for their family during the Great Depression so were very innovative to minimise waste in the food they prepared or had left over.

Ken
We all may need to get back to that only ones that will be able to waste food are the ones that the govt cares for

The recipe that I make is in the Farm Journal's Country cookbook... Custard bread pudding. You can pull it up on the internet. It takes a little more prep but I really like it. I don't pay any attention to the cubing and I use mostly crusts.... I do put the bowl inside another bowl with water as you normally cook custard, makes it a little smoother... and I do add raisins most times.... couple handfuls or however many I feel like. Tried it once with dried cranberries and it was good too.... or without raisins and using lemon extract instead of the vanilla....

Latest posts