Ain't farming and ranching grand

Help Support CattleToday:

lavacarancher

Reaction score
Everything started out just fine. Had 2 inches of rain Tuesday, got to the ranch Thursday and hooked up the hay mower to the big tractor and a brush hog to the 3000. Put my friend on the 3000 and sent him to the East field to mow siena(sp) beans and goat weeds while I attacked my new T85 hay field. Got everything adjusted and finished the 14 acres in about 3 hours. I then moved to the North hay field where Bohia infests the whole field. Had to drop down to third in some places but managed to get about 10 acres cut before dark. When I got back to the house my buddy informed me that the 3000 quit running. Quit running, I asked? We just put fuel in it this morning. He says "no, the engine runs but the tractor won't move". OK, been here before. Lost the torque limiter again. Took the hay mower off the big tractor and went to the field to pull the 3000 out. Spent 30 mins or so trying to get the differential lock undone so I could move it. Drug it to the house, unhooked the brush hog and connected the hay mower back to the 1486.

Now ready for in the morning. Went to town to arrange for the shop to pick up the 3000 - in two months. Came home and went back to the North field. Bohia still wet with dew and is cutting a little better but still can't run over 4th. Made about three rounds when a loud bang happened so I turned around just in time to see the PTO shaft go sailing off across the field. Good thing I was looking otherwise would never have found it. OK, back to the shop in town to get the shaft put back together. They need to make one - two weeks! "You don't have one already made up"? "Nope"

OK, now I'm down one tractor and one hay mower. It's OK because I've got more hay on the ground than I can rake and bale on Sunday.

Got up early Saturday morning to grease the rake and replace a few teeth. By 1:00 pm I'm ready to go to the field. T85 looks ready to bale so my bud starts raking with the old, gasoline NAA (old faithful). He gets about a third of the field put in windrows and I've just about caught up to him with the baler (my new baler, by the way) when I see him stop and get off the tractor. I say "self, this ain't good" and I'm right. The rake is broke. Take it to the house. Find the roll pin tying the counter shaft to the belt pulley has sheared. Can't get the pulley out, can't get the shaft out, can't get the PTO undone. Get the blue wrench out and cut the U-joint so we can get the PTO shaft out, then the counter shaft, then the pulley. By now it's 3:00 pm and the John Deere (rake is a John Deere) dealer is closed (everything closes at noon on Saturday).

The count is now one tractor, one hay cutter and one hay rake. But, hey, it's ok because the baler has a pick up reel on the front, right? So I continue to bale using just the baler - no rake, no wind rows. It's working, slow but its working. Then, all of a sudden the tractor starts to lug down and before I can turn off the PTO the tractor stalls and the baler is smoking. I disengage the PTO, start the tractor again and kick out a 2 foot partially formed roll of hay before the baler catches on fire. I have no idea what's wrong with the baler but the count is one tractor dead, one hay mower dead, one hay rake dead and now one $40,000 baler dead. Took it back to the house with the door open, parked it, took a shower and we headed back to Houston before something else broke. I really need those fifty or so bales of hay to make it through the Winter.

So all you folks who want to start a little farm or ranch, raise a few cattle, make pets out of them so they can hurt you, please take heed. Life in the country is grand. (NOT)

Just look at it this way. It kept you out of the bar, and when you get done you have something that you done and can be proud of.

I will admit that I might have just went to the bar BEFORE I could have screwed up the new baler.

When you go back everthing will just click and work great.

Sometimes it just makes you wonder if its worth it. Hope your buddy isn't a Schleprock. I had a fella that helped me once who I'm convinced was a Schleprock and I found it cheaper just to pay him to stay at the house. I mean, how do you break a rake. sprayer and a tractor in half? Impossible?!? Seeing is believing.

I know what you mean. Sometimes things so broken down that you just have to stop and fix a few pieces. The dealers and parts people could be more responsive too. For what parts cost you would think they could keep a parts man on call at nights and weekends. I guess they figure we got no choice but to wait.

Larry

Sure makes you wonder if it isn't cheaper to let someone else cut and roll you hay. I finally gave up and just pay a neighbor $ 18.00 a roll to cut and roll mine. I only realize about 70 rolls a cutting. Man I wish good luck if that is bahia you are cutting. I would rather cut and roll barbed wire.

How bad is the baler burnt? You've reminded me to put the fire extinguisher I bought four years ago on mine.

I was over in Montana last week at my daughter's. The brain in my pickup fired. One of the ranchers in the area gave me a ride back to my dauther's house. On our drive he said he had just finished his hay. A neighbor called because his baler was broke down. Asked this guy to come finish his baling. He made one bale and took out the pto on his tractor. The shop told him they have to split the tractor to fix it and it will cost about $4,000. I felt sorry for him but it did make me feel a little better about my pickup. It only cost $800 to fix. Of course I had to wait 4 days for the parts to get there.

i believe you could be prepared to the hilt have every angle covered..somethings gonna break im starting too think these last minute guys are on to something

larryshoat":1fctmk3i said:
I know what you mean. Sometimes things so broken down that you just have to stop and fix a few pieces. The dealers and parts people could be more responsive too. For what parts cost you would think they could keep a parts man on call at nights and weekends. I guess they figure we got no choice but to wait.

Larry

If they don't get the business at 12:15 PM Saturday, you will still need the part at 8 AM Monday.

i dont about you.but i would be sicker than a dog if i had all that happen to me.equipment loves to break down when you really need it.

I guess I'm lucky to have a dealership that understands the weekend problems. Our dealership has an emergency number you can call if you need a part after closing and someone will come and help you. The several of the mechanics have given me their cell phone numbers and they've helped me out of a bind several times. The other dealership seems to have the attitude you are beneath them and they are doing you a favor by overcharging you for a part. I guess that's why I'll be keeping my business where it is cause they've earned it.

lavacarancher, don't you just hate hay season? Two years ago I had the same kind of luck (if you can call it luck) and it can get you down if you let it. Keep your chin up and keep grinning. Hope you were able to get everything fixed so that you can get your hay in!

Fly-guy":32r9ng1v said:
lavacarancher, don't you just hate hay season? Two years ago I had the same kind of luck (if you can call it luck) and it can get you down if you let it. Keep your chin up and keep grinning. Hope you were able to get everything fixed so that you can get your hay in!
it can get you down if you don't

dont think it caught on fire from what i read just started smoking... .... my guess is he had it adjusted too low to pick up the unraked hay

alacattleman":3kqjybzg said:
dont think it caught on fire from what i read just started smoking... .... my guess is he had it adjusted too low to pick up the unraked hay

You're right. It didn't catch on fire but something was sure gettin' hot - I think one of the belts.

When I opened the door to kick what ever was in the bale chamber out there was a big wad of hay on top of the belts above what would be the bale forming chamber. Have no idea how it got there or what, if anything, it had to do with stalling the tractor. I'll find out soon what happened and how bad it is. Just couldn't look at all the broken equipment yet.

" Just couldn't look at all the broken equipment yet." Yea sounds like ya'll left the place a mess........:) Make sure you bring plenty of money back from Houston for the farm. :) I suppose the hay wasn't right or the balers not adjusted with the 2 inches of rain you received. What do you think?

Latest posts