AIM Vet Gun for Fly Control Product Evaluation

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm

Reaction score
We used the AIM Vet Gun for fly control a couple of days ago.

I would not have bought the gun before trying this to see if it works. My vet rents the guns for $20 a weekend and he carries the CO2 cartridges and the fly repellant balls. The flies are just terrible this year and the cows seem miserable. We have IGR mineral out all the time. Still, the flies are covering the cows.

So, we used the gun and shot 50. These are pricey so gotta hit them right the first time. Happened to be that the herd was located in the area that has some leftover wet areas and it is the worst for flies.

Within five minutes, the herd was standing absolutely still. We only shot the adults. And we poured Cylence on a few of the friendly calves that we could reach easily. You could see the relief on the cows faces.

For the past two days we have NO flies on them anywhere. Not under the belly or on the heels or anywhere. And the calves are fly-free too.

I am thinking that if each animal can gain 1 -2 pounds per month per application then this may justify the cost. I'm just not sure how long the coverage will last or if it will persist after a good rainshower.

Please feel free to add your knowledge/comments on this product. So far I give it a thumbs up for effectiveness.

I use IGR, rubs, and added Vet Gun this year. It has been 4.5 weeks since I treated all of my cattle. I think I will need to again in a week or so. I estimated maybe 15lbs extra gain, and treat cows and calves each 4 times over the fly season. 5.00 for each cow and calf times four is $20 with 15lbs @ 2.00, should profit 10.00 extra per calf.
The face fly control will only last a week or so, that's where the rubs help.
CSM

WOW CSM 4.5 weeks of coverage is impressive! I hope I get the same results. Hubby says that the fun he got out of shooting the cows is worth the price of the gun. ;)

Was hping someone would try and review one of these.
Is this the Agrilabs Vet Gun I asked about in the following thread?
At least one CT member said they get 2 1/2 weeks between treatments--that's better than what I've had with spraying/pour ons.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=94877&p
Are there different types of balls now--different insecticides (repellant) or do you have to purchase it from the gun manufacturer?

Keep us updated LauraleesFarm.

We use the vetgun a few times a year as part of our fly control rotation. Works good enough to use it again. We use Avalia-4 with IGR and/or VitaFerm w/IGR at all times also.

Will say, make sure you hit the bull with two balls :lol2: , he needs em both, but seriously, it won't last as long on him

GB
Yes that is the same gun. Best price I can find on the balls is at the Sulphur Springs Co-op for $2 each if you buy the 150ct box.

Yes, we double shot the bull.

Brahman girls got excited for a few minutes. Only one F1 heifer is still snorty about it. And she was always a pet. We shot that group at the feed trough while they ate and she won't come near the trough now.

More coloring would help. It is invisible on black cows.

I guess I titled the thread incorrectly. It is an Agri-Labs Vet Gun that shoots AIM Capsules with fly control gel.

Supposedly the dewormer is going to be marketed soon for these guns. Not sure I really need that. If you have to get them vaccinated you might as well inject dewormer at the same time. Not that much of a step-saver to me to shoot dewormer.

We will find out about the rain over the next few days. Supposed to be heavy rains starting Tuesday.

LauraleesFarm":3ciuetz6 said:
I guess I titled the thread incorrectly. It is an Agri-Labs Vet Gun that shoots AIM Capsules with fly control gel.

Supposedly the dewormer is going to be marketed soon for these guns. Not sure I really need that. If you have to get them vaccinated you might as well inject dewormer at the same time. Not that much of a step-saver to me to shoot dewormer.

We will find out about the rain over the next few days. Supposed to be heavy rains starting Tuesday.
The agrilab rep told me the same thing at the SouthEast Tx Beef Seminar at Winnie last fall. They are waiting for approval from USDA and FDA

Sure, they jump a little. Then its over. Its better if they don't see it coming, like face hidden behind another cow. But the gun makes a foomp sort of noise and that rattles them up.

my question would be, the instuctions say for cows at least 600#, well if they have a calf on there side wont all the flys just go to the calves?

Went to a dinner and meeting on the Vet Gun Monday night. The guy presenting the meeting said that a rain after application would affect the treatment just like it would affect the treatment of a pour-on. This is a topical application not a systemic one. Cows wading in the tank (pond) would also affect the longevity of it. Calves nursing do not need to be treated because they will rub against Mama and get the benefit. Our Vet swears by them (of course he sells them). The presentation was interesting. Had a target set up outside and anyone who wanted to try, could. Thought it would be pretty easy to get the hang of it. $2.60 per ball in 30 packs, $2.00 per ball on the 150 pack and $250 for the gun. I don't remember the cost on the CO2 packs. They have a CO2 bottle that you can remove from the gun without losing the CO2. The small cartridges will leak off in storage. Humidity and temperature effect the balls in storage so they need to be stored in the house not out in the barn or in the back of a pickup. The rep said if you were going to be gone all day with the balls in the pickup it would probably be a good idea to store them in a cooler with ice packs - not ice. The balls are not to be stored in a refrigerator or freezer. He also said that the length of effectiveness was dependent on the time of the year. The hotter months would have shorter effective times.

Quick update:
We shot the cows on June 11.....today is June 22. There are "some" flies on the shoulders of a few cows. Overall, there are none on the face or heels. And just a few (maybe 20-30) on several of the cows. It rained for the past week or so, on and off. A couple of the rainshowers were heavy.
I'm hoping for a month of control. For the price, it has to give me that much coverage. I hope I am not disappointed.

I bought the Vet gun a couple of weeks ago, bought the kit for $565.00 gun, 6 co2, 150 balls, glad I went partners with another rancher, heres my review, cows don't seem to be to jumpy about it, first week seemed to work pretty good, after 10 days notice some flies on the cows,not real bad, however as my concern from my earlier post about all the flies going over to the calves because you cant treat them with the vet gun, well that's just what happened they are covered with flies, we have not had much rain we got .20 inch one night and that was it, it does seem to give the cows out in the field a bit more relief than ones up in the barn area, I think may be because more flies in the barn area, treated about 50 head,if I did not have someone to share the price don't think I would recommend it

I figured my coverage lasted about 2 1/2 weeks. I poured cylence on the calves that were friendly so they did not get all the flies. As of about a week ago, the coverage has faded considerably and the cows are slinging and kicking a lot. Not "covered" in flies, but there are plenty of them.

So it does work, but I was hoping for at least 3 -4 weeks of good coverage.

We use Purina mineral w/fly control with real success but are interested in reviews on the gun for worming.

Latest posts