AI today???

Help Support CattleToday:

rufun2sun

Reaction score
She was seeded but ultrasound didn't show that she was ovulating, Vet did her anyway, is this going to be a waste of money?

I think you are best off just doing them when your synch program says to, that is the whole idea of synch them. Too much information just gives you cause to worry.

Ken

We've done the "forced breeding" with synching for AI and had no luck with it. Unless you observe the female in heat after you sync I wouldn't waste a straw of semen when you aren't positive she is actually in heat. I guess it depends on what your breeding program is too. We sync heifers and early calvers for AI for 1 heat cycle then turn everything out with the herd bull after that because we want to keep a tight calving interval. If we see them in heat we do AI and hope they stick, if not the herd bull will likely get them on the next heat cycle. We do AI sync for around Feb 15-20th calving date so if they don't stick to AI they still will probably have a natural date in early to mid March. If they don't show heat in the AI group we wont waste a straw and assume the herd bull will get her once she cycles. This is where the value of a good herd bull comes into play because while you can add some outside genetics through AI you shouldn't be scared to use your herd bull either.

if you go to the trouble and expense to sync them, put that straw in, you will get a percentage of them!!! its for sure she wont stick if you don't do it!!!!

Neighbor of mine went through a group of heifers to sync for AI (CIDR's, lute) on and no signs of heat. After 7 days, he gave them another shot of lute and still no signs of heat. He's thinking he may have something going on with water, feed, etc. that could be preventing heat?? Not sure what to tell him. Any advise??

Cystic ovaries are growths on the ovaries that keep them from cycling. We had one several years ago. Injections of products like cystorellin and progesterone products may clear it up.

Gotcha - thanks for the explanation.
Just never seen or heard anything like this from a whole group.

MRRherefords":1lvwyksy said:
Are you sure they were not in heat. We have put some on the protocol and not seen signs of heat and went ahead and Ai according to the protocol and they took.

I agree, I often get them not showing anything and shrug my shoulders and say well the programme says to do them so they get done and more often than not they stick, often it is a cow with first calf at foot but sometimes they are just not a popular girl with all the others climbing all over each other.

Ken

I saw no signs. He also used the heat patch on the tail head that shows bright orange after they have been rode. Didn't look to me like they had been rode. Just seemed odd that out of the group, you would have noticed a couple of them riding the ones in heat.

Was their body conditions right? Sometimes I have seen animals not cycle because of being too fat/skinny. If they are all in the same feeding program this may stand to reason. How is their body condition?

kilroy60":342wfupr said:
Neighbor of mine went through a group of heifers to sync for AI (CIDR's, lute) on and no signs of heat. After 7 days, he gave them another shot of lute and still no signs of heat. He's thinking he may have something going on with water, feed, etc. that could be preventing heat?? Not sure what to tell him. Any advise??

You said CIDrs and lute? First shot should be a GNRH not lute when CIDRs are put in. Lute is given when CIDRs are pulled.

Also, they won't come in while CIDRs are in.

Good luck.
Farmgirl

There is some talk these days about new cidrs being too potent for heifers. The theory being it isn't leaving their system after it's taken out. So I've heard some are using used cidrs for heifers.

I've had the best luck with the 14day cidr protocol using new ones.

Also, I breed everything on TAI.

Farmgirl":11vm1hfa said:
kilroy60":11vm1hfa said:

You said CIDrs and lute? First shot should be a GNRH not lute when CIDRs are put in. Lute is given when CIDRs are pulled.

Also, they won't come in while CIDRs are in.

Good luck.
Farmgirl

Sorry for the confusion, just got ahead of myself. Yes, he went with what you said, lute was given after CIDR's were pulled. He finally gave up on the AI and has placed heifers with bull. Heifers were all good body frame and healthy - at least appeared to be. I tried to get him to give another round of lute but he didn't want to waste any more time or money.

A lot plays into whether or not they cycle. Body condition score, health, current nutrition, days since calving, mineral, etc. Drugs will only work on cattle that CAN cycle. They can't cycle if they are not healthy or nutritionally able. BCS has nothing to do with how tall they are (frame).

Latest posts