AI tech in SE OK

Help Support CattleToday:

Call ABS, Genex, Select, Accelerated customer service and ask for the number of someone close by. If you have a catalog handy from any of them there are contact numbers for the area marketing manager listed in the back and they will get you in contact with someone.

James Stropshire (918)617-4268 is the Genex rep in McAlister
I would check with your local vets who might AI

ousooner,
I keep seeing this 'have the vet AI for you' thing.
I just wonder how many veterinarians offer this...maybe they don't have enough to do? That would explain, maybe, why folks claim they can't find a food animal vet...there's not enough work for them to do to make a decent living?
I sure as heck didn't have to to fool with AI when I was in practice 30 years ago.

They don't teach AI in vet school. Yeah, I know the anatomy, physiology, drugs, and could probably pass an insemination gun...with some practice; but have never done it(my wife, also a DVM, does the breeding here - but she took an AI course) .
I can't imagine having had time to fool with trying to AI every Tom, Dick, and Harry's cows...on top of what I had to do every day, when I was still in veterinary practice.

Just wondering...how many folks have a vet who routinely does AI for the public?

Lucky we have a few vets here that AI. My Embryologist just lives down the street a few miles, so I either take them to him or he comes over. But I think I am one of the few that he does "house calls" for. Most everyone else is required to bring animals to him.
I like the fact that he can address any issues at one time. I don't have to bring them in as much if I time things right.

At Pryor Vet there are about 6 vets and two of the younger one's(OSU grads) are very good plus they AI cows not only at their facility but at many of the local large ranches....again they are very good at treating cattle and AI'ing. It's hard to get an appointment with these two because everybody likes to use them. They are very busy 6 days a week.

Thanks for the help.

I wish we were closer to Pryor. The only vet here that I thought much of went to work for the state. I have yet to find someone else that I think is very helpful.

Dogs and Cows":1wclhjp2 said:
cow pollinater":1wclhjp2 said:
Call ABS, Genex, Select, Accelerated customer service and ask for the number of someone close by. If you have a catalog handy from any of them there are contact numbers for the area marketing manager listed in the back and they will get you in contact with someone.

CP...do you have to have a pretty big herd to have these companies give you service? I mean I am going to try and have 8 or 9 animals AI'd this summer...I am on the east coast...not a lot of AI'ing going on here...will these companies deal with someone of my meager stature??

Thanks,

Tim
Yes. They want your business. If you get one that doesn't then call another company. They might not do it cheap but they are in the business of breeding cows and every cow counts. :nod:

Latest posts